MATCH: Hartlepool United (H) 30/12/23 🍾🍾🍾

13 hours ago, Wardie said:

Ex Hartlepool manager, Askey, claims the Stones goal was offside.
I think he knew what was coming.

A real downbeat interview. Definitely knew that he had nowhere to go with that team. Can't help but feel sorry for the guy. I wonder if he was told before the coach trip back? That would have been an uncomfortable journey.

22 minutes ago, LaticsPete said:

A real downbeat interview. Definitely knew that he had nowhere to go with that team. Can't help but feel sorry for the guy. I wonder if he was told before the coach trip back? That would have been an uncomfortable journey.

With how quickly it was announced he was probably told before their journey back, can't imagine anyone on the coach would've enjoyed that!

Interesting to see how it's turned out as Askey would've probably been my choice to replace Unsworth last season before he got the job there, but it hasn't gone well for him up there.

29 minutes ago, LaticsPete said:

He must’ve known there was an elite level world famous scout, with knowledge of the game he could only dream of, watching his star talent. You’d have to be at that standard to know we should deffo sign a crock, after seeing him for about half hour. 

• Like 2

22 hours ago, the_mighty_bosh said:

Maybe it's just me, but there's something a little bit satisfying that we're 8th and level on points with the playoffs at the turn of the year, despite not playing at all well in approximately half the matches so far.

With the proven manager we have in addition to the potential to add to the squad (albeit with the possible reliance on offloading a few players first) I'd put us as one of the more likely clubs to make the playoffs at this stage. 

At the same time we're under no illusions that improvements are needed for us to succeed.  It's a low bar, but this is the best position we've been in going into January for a long time, certainly in the last decade.

EDIT:  The closest competition to the final paragraph is probably December 2014 when we were doing well under Lee Johnson (look where he is now) but 2015 had barely began when the powers-to-be and Red Fleece decided that trying to sign Ched Evans wouldn't backfire in any way.  Whoever on here dubbed 2015 the "horrible anus" year couldn't have put it better!

It's very satisfying and almost unheard of for us to be this close at this time of year.

We are in a good place on and off the pitch to move forward. Is it the greatest football I've ever seen no do I think we need 2-3 players to give us a better chance of promotion yes. Do I think we need to be that much better than we are now to get promotion actually no I don't.

Edited by GlossopLatic
  • Like 3

12 hours ago, OneSizeFitz said:

Mancini was released by Burnley without playing a game 18 months ago. It then took him eight months to find a club (Accrington) before he was released by them four months later having played two games. 

I'm not saying he isn't a talent, but that record doesn't immediately strike me as that of a world-beater... 

He's played for France u18s and 19s. I also remember a player released by Burnley who took some time to make an impact..Rick Holden - and he turned out ok.

I'd have no hesitation taking  Mancini if possible, he's a high quality player with time of his side.

7 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

He's played for France u18s and 19s. I also remember a player released by Burnley who took some time to make an impact..Rick Holden - and he turned out ok.

I'd have no hesitation taking  Mancini if possible, he's a high quality player with time of his side.

Looked decent in his two cameos against us but the fact he's played about ten games in the last three years would temper my enthusiasm.

Monitor him for the rest of the season and then decide.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Bobledgersheart said:

Looked decent in his two cameos against us but the fact he's played about ten games in the last three years would temper my enthusiasm.

Monitor him for the rest of the season and then decide.

Agreed, I'd sooner splash the cash (if there is any) on Conn Clark at Alty, Zak Brunt at Barnet and Reece Smith at Maidenhead. Still need a right back/ RWB though!

1 hour ago, mick26 said:

Agreed, I'd sooner splash the cash (if there is any) on Conn Clark at Alty, Zak Brunt at Barnet and Reece Smith at Maidenhead. Still need a right back/ RWB though!

According to MM in his post-match, they have and still are looking for a right back. According to some, RBs should be ten-a-penny but apparently not. Somebody has mentioned the fact that RBs playing well will not be for sale and maybe there are none available on loan from the EFL..or at least it's proving tricky going down that route.

1 hour ago, Wardie said:

According to MM in his post-match, they have and still are looking for a right back. According to some, RBs should be ten-a-penny but apparently not. Somebody has mentioned the fact that RBs playing well will not be for sale and maybe there are none available on loan from the EFL..or at least it's proving tricky going down that route.

Did I miss something with Freeman ? MM said we have no Rb at the club 🤔

I liked MM post match interview-honest and realistic. He also spoke of having a team that plays with flair and gusto. Still a way to go on that though.

However MM is getting results with a group of players who lack flair and ability to put a good passing sequence together.   

Hartlepool, as poor as they are, passed the ball much better than us especially in the first half. We are too slow to take the initiative with delays in getting the ball forward. I could see the frustration on Stones face a number of times when he was  asking for the ball to be played to him. Also Hudson needs to play the ball out quicker. There was one time in the second half where Norwood was waving his hands for the ball to be kicked up to him but Hudson held the ball far too long.

Sutton did well yesterday I thought. Also Ward did well when he came on.

We are in good position going into 2024 and with a few squad changes we should be able to get into top 7 but the top 3 is probably is now too much to ask.

Great to have the home win but the quality overall was poor

• Like 4

44 minutes ago, oafc1955 said:

Strange that….Freeman should have been more than good enough for this level!🤔

Not sure. He looks a player with his best days long behind him now. Showed some nice touches occasionally but the Barnet match showed for me how vulnerable against pace he is. Can't get up and down the pitch like Kitching or Sutton either. It's clear MM is looking hard for his man who'll have the energy levels of those two but brings quality to the team too.

I quite enjoyed Saturday, peversely. We need to go up through the gears much more than that but I'm looking for signs of consistancy and we're starting to get a bit now. Hogan, Raglan and Hobson are pretty rock solid for this division and I didn't feel quite as uncomfortable against Hartlepool given how much they keep getting exposed by a midfield which just doesn't keep possession enough. There was a moment in the match where a Hartlepool player received the ball just about on the centre spot and there wasn't a single Latics player inside the centre circle. Our closing down and press is still way off the pace, but I'm confident MM has identified this and the personnel he needs to change it.

Sheron, as much as I admire his workrate, just isn't of the level we're needing. I'd keep him as a squad player, but he just doesn't press or harrass the opposition enough for me.

1 minute ago, yarddog73 said:

Whereas to me his heart just didn't look in it.

had some mega shite circumstances so probs wasnt tbf. didnt wana talk about it either which is total fair. hope he has another crack he's a top player when he's fit but total shite when he's not. which we saw.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Monty Burns said:

had some mega shite circumstances so probs wasnt tbf. didnt wana talk about it either which is total fair. hope he has another crack he's a top player when he's fit but total shite when he's not. which we saw.

Summed up far better than I could have.

The thing that really annoys me is the time taken over throw ins, goal kicks and corners.

Hudson was warned a couple of times on Saturday yet still moved the ball whilst taking a goal kick prompting the inevitable pointless booking and six minutes added on.

The lackadaisical body language of our players who saunter around the pitch when the ball is out of play must influence the refs when deciding the amount of time added on, and as such is counter productive.

It also subdues the crowd to some extent when they see players strolling about showing a lack of urgency.  

Just look as if you're on the front foot and we may not be playing after five on a Saturday afternoon.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Bobledgersheart said:

The thing that really annoys me is the time taken over throw ins, goal kicks and corners.

Hudson was warned a couple of times on Saturday yet still moved the ball whilst taking a goal kick prompting the inevitable pointless booking and six minutes added on.

The lackadaisical body language of our players who saunter around the pitch when the ball is out of play must influence the refs when deciding the amount of time added on, and as such is counter productive.

It also subdues the crowd to some extent when they see players strolling about showing a lack of urgency.  

Just look as if you're on the front foot and we may not be playing after five on a Saturday afternoon.

Isn't all that just part of "seeing the game out" though and what all good teams do ?