Players linked with us

I had a look at released keepers - how about Jak Alnwick as a punt for the trialist . Only 22 so not old enough to be considered as no 1, released by Newcastle having played a handful of games.

Not old enough to be considered as No. 1 yet 3 years older than our No.1

Chris Kirkland has been released by Sheff Weds -

Anyone think that this is the type of goalkeeper we need to bring in, very experienced and at 34 / 35 the age where he maybe considering taking up coaching, played at the highest level and someone Coleman could really benefit from having at the club and who he could learn from and push him for the Number 1 spot.

Bit of a leap from Michael Ingham to Chris Kirkland...

Aye.

Despite all evidence to the contrary and being repeatedly told we want a back up keeper/ coach, certain Latics fans continue to pull out stupid out of our reach/ mandate players.

If utd get a big name or keep De Gea, maybe we will get Valdes cos he lives near Kelly and he can get a lift with him?

If they're not right up there, they've failed. I was sincerely hoping they'd fall back into lower league mediocrity.

They're a couple of years removed from winning the FA cup and they're now in League 1, they've already failed.

If we are looking to draft in a couple of defenders I'd like to see them in sooner rather than later. Now the friendlies are starting we need to work on team shape and understanding, build up partnerships too.

Hopefully one of the centre backs we bring in is vocal and a good organiser.

Interesting! I'm of the later rather than sooner party

No benefit whatsoever in that, only one could be something to blame if we start badly. I seem to remember the manager saying it was importamt to have the squad in place as early as possible, as it stands we have one recognised centrehalf on the books with Dieng and Edmundson as back up, not ideal.

No benefit whatsoever in that, only one could be something to blame if we start badly. I seem to remember the manager saying it was importamt to have the squad in place as early as possible, as it stands we have one recognised centrehalf on the books with Dieng and Edmundson as back up, not ideal.

Lower wage demands?

I'd have no issues with Wilson and Dieng being first choice, I thought they were developing into a decent partnership when they had a run together.

Played our best football of the season and enjoyed our longest run unbeaten with Wilson and Dieng at the heart of the defence last season until the midget manager :censored:ed about shoe horning hoof it George back in there. Dieng didn't get much of a look in after that and the revolving door alongside him affected Wilson's game massively. If we start the season with Dieng and Wilson I won't be worried that won't be the case and I'm confident Kelly will bring a few in in fact I know there's two or three on trial including a lad from a premier league team.

If we have to make do for a week or two then so be it....

Edited by oafcprozac

If they dont want whats offered move on, there are plenty of centrehalfs looking for clubs who would do a job.

But aren't we looking for something more than "would do a job" ?

And don't we think that DK etc have identified these two as preferred options ?

Not the end of the world if they don't sign but if they are our first picks then there's a reason for that in the manager's eyes

Not the end of the world if they don't sign but if they are our first picks then there's a reason for that in the manager's eyes

Part of the reason is he thinks we've got a chance of signing them though? I think most clubs at our level would have loved to take Andy Liddell on in early July but we managed to get him last minute

I'd be happy with Wilson and Dieng - however I think we need an older head in there such as your Gregan, Lockwood or Gerrard type player who has the experience and doesn't mind doing the dirty work when needed to.

I'd be happy with Wilson and Dieng - however I think we need an older head in there such as your Gregan, Lockwood or Gerrard type player who has the experience and doesn't mind doing the dirty work when needed to.

Centre half-cum-:censored:house cleaner.