Sheridan - Every vacant managerial post?

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That in response to....

kowenicki, on 13 May 2016 - 08:38 AM, said:snapback.png

I really don't see any Championship club offering Sheridan a job and particularly not relative giants such as Leeds and Sheff Wed. He would be a big risk at that level.

I was pointing out that while Redfearn hadn't managed a team other than a couple of brief caretaker stints, Shez has 10yrs worth of managerial experience. I'm certain that if they feel Redfearn could've been qualified enough, then Shez definitely will be. It just depends on if they feel they can get someone even more qualified (of which has been pointed out...Karl Robinson probably would be.)

One of the problems with modern football is that you've got more chance of managing a Championship club straight from playing for them or from being a part of their coaching set up than you have after cutting your teeth in a lower league for however many years with inferior players...

Getting a Wigan or a Southampton straight back up somehow carries more weight than rescuing a Newport and an Oldham in the same season after years of doing sterling jobs at Chesterfield and Plymouth and learning loads in the process...

Failing with a higher calibre of player counts for more than doing a steady job with a load of plodders because you've "got experience" of dealing with such higher calibre players..

It's all bollocks but, hopefully, bollocks which will work in our favour this summer....

One of the problems with modern football is that you've got more chance of managing a Championship club straight from playing for them or from being a part of their coaching set up than you have after cutting your teeth in a lower league for however many years with inferior players...

Getting a Wigan or a Southampton straight back up somehow carries more weight than rescuing a Newport and an Oldham in the same season after years of doing sterling jobs at Chesterfield and Plymouth and learning loads in the process...

Failing with a higher calibre of player counts for more than doing a steady job with a load of plodders because you've "got experience" of dealing with such higher calibre players..

It's all bollocks but, hopefully, bollocks which will work in our favour this summer....

I don't disagree with the sentiment, however it's not all bollocks in so much as managing a team of £5-£10k a week players who expect to be playing at a higher level is not easier than managing £1-£3k a week players who accept that a playoff run would be a reasonable outcome. Indeed several of the most "elite" managers have come unstuck when it comes to transitioning from making do with what you have to managing the expectations, temperaments, etc. of the more talented players.

As I say, you've a fair point to some extent I just don't believe it to be as black and white as your conclusion.

What about the £1-3k a week players who think they are better than that / better than the club / level paying them that............. but aren't always?

Different management style needed than those who 'accept that a playoff run would be a reasonable outcome'.

Edited by maddog

I don't disagree with the sentiment, however it's not all bollocks in so much as managing a team of £5-£10k a week players who expect to be playing at a higher level is not easier than managing £1-£3k a week players who accept that a playoff run would be a reasonable outcome. Indeed several of the most "elite" managers have come unstuck when it comes to transitioning from making do with what you have to managing the expectations, temperaments, etc. of the more talented players.

As I say, you've a fair point to some extent I just don't believe it to be as black and white as your conclusion.

I'm saying they're quicker to let somebody who's never managed anybody manage those £5k-£10k a week players than they are somebody who might have vast experience of managing £1k-£3k a week players.

Doing a steady job for a long time under difficult circumstances in League One or Two almost seems like a bad career move if you've got ambitions to manage at a higher level.

Lee Johnson seems very aware of this :lol:

Edited by HarryBosch

I'm saying they're quicker to let somebody who's never managed anybody manage those £5k-£10k a week players than they are somebody who might have vast experience of managing £1k-£3k a week players.

Doing a steady job for a long time under difficult circumstances in League One or Two almost seems like a bad career move if you've got ambitions to manage at a higher level.

Gareth Ainsworth being strongly linked with the Blackburn job. With 200 games managing in League 2, it'd be interesting to see how he gets on.

Some sucessful top flight managers found it difficult at lower levels. Tommy Docherty didn't do much at Altrincham for example.

Not really, context is everything. With the current owner likely to fire you after days not months, wait until he sells. I am sure Hockaday thought it was fantastic, it doesn't make it a good choice.

But the reality is Shez would sign a 2 year deal minimum on substantial amounts of money above what he is on here. Even if he lasted 2 months into the campaign he would be facing a big pay out and probably could eventually walk back into a job at little old Oldham or another league 1 club relatively quickly.

He would be quids in if the worst case scenario happened...on the other hand he could be successful and I am sure he backs himself to have a good go at a club like Leeds.

Everyone is presuming he would fail at Leeds...

I'm not at all sure he'll go anywhere at the moment

My concern is that he'll be successful here at Latics in first few months of next season - top 6 in December - and that's when the offers will come in. Traditional time for managers to get sacked , more affluent club casts around for replacement etc

My concern is that he'll be successful here at Latics in first few months of next season - top 6 in December - and that's when the offers will come in. Traditional time for managers to get sacked , more affluent club casts around for replacement etc

Didn't work out badly for Burton or Walsall losing their manager mid-season...

Edit: and Barnsley!

Edited by NewBlue

If we are in the top 6 extend his contract with a £1 million buy out clause. :)

Everyone is presuming he would fail at Leeds...

I'm not so sure success or failure is that big a factor, the owner is not mentally stable and is as likely to fire a manager over a few crossed words as he is if the team is not succeeding.

He spits the dummy out over the slightest thing, he was refusing Sky cameras access to the ground to broadcast a match live this season, on the day of the game, even though it must have been contractually agreed weeks if not months before.

He's a lunatic.

I'm not so sure success or failure is that big a factor, the owner is not mentally stable and is as likely to fire a manager over a few crossed words as he is if the team is not succeeding.

He spits the dummy out over the slightest thing, he was refusing Sky cameras access to the ground to broadcast a match live this season, on the day of the game, even though it must have been contractually agreed weeks if not months before.

He's a lunatic.

Maybe he is a lunatic...as most people with too much money often are.

But if his manager is guiding his team to top 6 the reality is he is less likely to be sacked...which is the outcome 90% are painting out as a short term reason why Shez shouldn't go to Leeds.

Maybe he is a lunatic...as most people with too much money often are.

But if his manager is guiding his team to top 6 the reality is he is less likely to be sacked...which is the outcome 90% are painting out as a short term reason why Shez shouldn't go to Leeds.

Mark warburton did just that with Brentford and still got sacked. Carlo Ancellotti won the double with Chelsea and was still replaced - there is nothing guaranteed at these clubs with rich but quite insane owners

Mark warburton did just that with Brentford and still got sacked. Carlo Ancellotti won the double with Chelsea and was still replaced - there is nothing guaranteed at these clubs with rich but quite insane owners

Warbuton is now managing at Rangers and Ancelotti went on to manage PSG and Real Madrid...both bigger and better things that their sackings didn't prevent...

The point I am making is every which scenario for Sheridan moving to Leeds if the opportunity came is a no brainier...win or lose he is in a better position than he is currently managing OAFC. He will know he will always have a job here or at most league 1 or 2 clubs that come up after what he achieved with us this year.

Warbuton is now managing at Rangers and Ancelotti went on to manage PSG and Real Madrid...both bigger and better things that their sackings didn't prevent...

The point I am making is every which scenario for Sheridan moving to Leeds if the opportunity came is a no brainier...win or lose he is in a better position than he is currently managing OAFC. He will know he will always have a job here or at most league 1 or 2 clubs that come up after what he achieved with us this year.

No doubt about it - he could get more money at the drop of a hat.

No doubt in my mind either that he will be off at some stage.

HOWEVER - he has a decent enough chance at Oldham of success next season, whereby his CV would show some continuation. He would have 'architect' as an attribute written next to 'fireman'.

Are we now certainties to do well next season regardless of player recruitment? Don't get me wrong I like Shez but the way most fans are going on all we have to do next season is turn up for a top 6 finish.

Anything is possible at this stage, that is the beauty of summer, enjoy it.

Are we now certainties to do well next season regardless of player recruitment? Don't get me wrong I like Shez but the way most fans are going on all we have to do next season is turn up for a top 6 finish.

Hey, if Barry's telling us that, it must be true.

True. Although a lot of that surrounded our piss weak defence, Gerrard not signing and endless months of dicking around over the CB position.

Just hope that in 2 months time, we aren't doing the same thing. Can't see Gerrard staying but I can hope.

Edited by boundaryblue80