Northampton (a)

1 hour ago, JoeP said:

Apart from the supposed obsession with playing O'Grady up front on his own (and possibly his media-handling skills..), what other traits would you say he is lacking?

He's been given no budget, has had his assistant sacked for reasons unknown and has to try and motivate a load of players who don't even get paid on time...and that's just the constraints we know about.

A manager with proven "traits" would struggle.

Other than playing cog, playing Lang out wide, hunt in midfield, playing 2 defensive midfielders in home games against shit opposition, sticking with the same line up he has started with until it slaps him in the face he has fucked up, signing cog/coke/sick note miller etc!! Anything else??

1 minute ago, oafc21 said:

Other than playing cog, playing Lang out wide, hunt in midfield, playing 2 defensive midfielders in home games against shit opposition, sticking with the same line up he has started with until it slaps him in the face he has fucked up, signing cog/coke/sick note miller etc!! Anything else??

Posted 7 times.  Wow, guess you feel strongly about this :-)

1 hour ago, JoeP said:

Apart from the supposed obsession with playing O'Grady up front on his own (and possibly his media-handling skills..), what other traits would you say he is lacking?

He's been given no budget, has had his assistant sacked for reasons unknown and has to try and motivate a load of players who don't even get paid on time...and that's just the constraints we know about.

A manager with proven "traits" would struggle.

I have to disagree here.

1) He had a budget and spent poorly. The money spent on wages for Coke and COG could have got us a useful sub.

2) Lack of motivation is down to him. I think a low wage and a short contract is a good enough reason to perform for the next contract.

3) Rhodes leaving and late wages are nothing to do with  the crap we've had early season.

9 hours ago, mikejh45 said:

I have to disagree here.

1) He had a budget and spent poorly. The money spent on wages for Coke and COG could have got us a useful sub.  Splitting hairs a bit there - he was given a budget that he had to spread thinly.  It covered the two journeymen from a Conference team you mentioned, a player who's been suspended for two years, a couple of loan signings (for whom we maybe couldn't actually afford if the rumours of us missing loan payments are true..) and, of course, a #frenchlad.

2) Lack of motivation is down to him. I think a low wage and a short contract is a good enough reason to perform for the next contract.  While it might be his job to motivate the players, he's not really been helped by unpaid wages and club instability, which is bound to be a factor.  Does any other manager in the league have to deal with unpaid wages or, potentially, interference in team affairs from the boardroom to the extent Bunn does?

3) Rhodes leaving and late wages are nothing to do with  the crap we've had early season.  That specifically might not be to do with our poor performance in some early season performances, but there seems to be a sacking culture at the club which has been in place for a while.  Is that a positive thing?  I would suggest not.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, JoeP said:

While it might be his job to motivate the players, he's not really been helped by unpaid wages and club instability, which is bound to be a factor.  Does any other manager in the league have to deal with unpaid wages or, potentially, interference in team affairs from the boardroom to the extent Bunn does?

Bowyer at Blackpool would be a good example of off the field activities not affecting on the field performances. We do not know the extent of interference with Bunn, or other clubs.

Parkinson at Bolton must be closer to our scenario. 

Macclesfield have had similar issues, but faring less well.

Of course, it's rare to succeed and not acceptable, but can be done. But I think as in L1 on Walsall operated at a profit its probably not so uncommon to have late wages. Probably not as often as us though! 

Edited by singe

1 hour ago, Lags said:

He'll be gone in January, he wants away to the seaside.

Gardner among the top assists in Division 2 despite playing a holding midfield role, and the club referred to is in a higher league.

Without him and Surridge the club would probably sitting alongside Macclesfield.

Edited by BP1960

6 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

Gardner among the top assists in Division 2 despite playing a holding midfield role, and the club referred to is in a higher league.

Without him and Surridge the club would probably sitting alongside Macclesfield.

Come on BP he’s never played a holding role properly. the lad can’t tackle for a start he drops to pick the ball up and then wanders. As for assists he has 3 and scored 1 in league 2! Hardly prolific. Would rather stick him out wide where he has played before for other clubs and get someone else in centre. Would free up Lang to play where he should be playing. 

8 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

Doesn't make my post wrong. Yes we have worse players than Gardner for sure, he just thinks he's Brazilian or something. Gardner would be fair more effective if he would pass the ball a lot more earlier to a clear pass that's on. Instead he does great initially then completely messes up. As far higher league teams, currently that's not difficult is it?

He could be a really good player, I think he has the talent, vision, and skill to be able to play in the Championship.

He needs a good manager/coach to help refine his game, for some strange reason he almost continually gives the ball away when under very little pressure.

He needs to slow it down a little, when he recieves the ball he somehow goes into a sort of ‘panic mode’ where he has to do everything at breakneck speed.

His poor distribution has really let him down this season but I am certain a good coach could improve him very quickly.

31 minutes ago, adamoafc said:

Come on BP he’s never played a holding role properly. the lad can’t tackle for a start he drops to pick the ball up and then wanders. As for assists he has 3 and scored 1 in league 2! Hardly prolific. Would rather stick him out wide where he has played before for other clubs and get someone else in centre. Would free up Lang to play where he should be playing. 

4 assists, the top in the league has 5.

He could play wide right, but FB won't do it.

My bet if he goes on January he will blossom at a new club.

A change worked for Banks.

A change might work for us too. It's almost like we're not allowed to get the ball into the final third without Gardner having a kick. If we do, it ends up back with him in the centre circle.

Reminds me of the film Jimmy Grimble, "give it to bloody Gardner"

The thing about Gardner is he slows it down too much and as he's our main midfielder it rubs off on the rest of the team. Invariably has to do a Cryuff turn or a step-over (which more of the opposition are now reading) before making his pass. Can't tackle but is capable of hitting a good pass in his own time to team mates who admittedly often fail to make forward runs.

I wouldn't be surprised if he was wanted by another club as there's basically a half decent lower league player in there but fail to see him improving markedly as he's 28 years old so is pretty set in his ways I'd guess. 

44 minutes ago, Bobledgersheart said:

The thing about Gardner is he slows it down too much and as he's our main midfielder it rubs off on the rest of the team. Invariably has to do a Cryuff turn or a step-over (which more of the opposition are now reading) before making his pass. Can't tackle but is capable of hitting a good pass in his own time to team mates who admittedly often fail to make forward runs.

I wouldn't be surprised if he was wanted by another club as there's basically a half decent lower league player in there but fail to see him improving markedly as he's 28 years old so is pretty set in his ways I'd guess. 

Can be done, David Eyres improved in his late 20s as did Ricky Lambert and Glen Murray for example.

Edited by BP1960

15 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

Can be done, David Eyres improved in his late 20s as did Ricky Lambert and Glen Murray for example.

Thought Eyres was just a late developer  and the other two just looked like natural goalscorers to me, which is very hard to teach. The "have a couple of touches before you decide what to do" with Gardner will be much harder to counter. Really good players know what they're going to do with it before it's under control. Gardner doesn't he needs a couple of touches first and quite often gets dis-possessed at this level, let alone higher.