Squad movements, summer 2019

On 5/2/2019 at 11:29 AM, Crusoe said:

Every year I think I'll give this thread a miss, yet here I am again.

Confirmed

1. Gary Woods (2021)

20. Zeus de la Paz (2020 plus option) - GET RID

39. Gregor Zabret (season-long loan from Swansea) Still here?

41. Ellis Allen (youth)

2. Zak Mills (2020)

3. Alex Iacovitti (2021 plus option) GET RID

4. Sonhy Sefil (2020) Still here?

5. Ashley Smith-Brown (season-long loan from Plymouth) SEND BACK

6. Jamie Stott (2020 plus option)

15. Javid Swaby-Neavin (probably 2020 plus option, out on a half-season loan to Radcliffe)

29. Tomáš Egert (2020 plus option)

31. David Wheater (2020 plus option)

34. Tom Hamer (2022)

47. Taylor Jones (youth)

7. Johan Branger-Engone (2020) Injured?

8. Filipe Morais (season-long loan from Crawley Town)

10. Mohamed Maouche (2020)

11. Gevaro Nepomuceno (2020)

13. Florian Gonzales (2020 plus option) - GET RID

14. Harry Robinson (2020 plus option, out on a half-season loan to Crusaders)

17. Christopher Missilou (2020) - HMM GET RID

18. Dylan Fage (2021) - GET RID

22. Dominic McHale (2020) - GONE

23. Callum Dolan (2020 plus option, out on a rolling loan to Ashton) - AHMP

24. Mohamad Sylla (2020)

26. Jonny Smith (season-long loan from Bristol City)

33. Chris Eagles (2020 plus option) - GET RID?

9. Urko Vera (2020) - GONE?

16. Scott Wilson (2020) - 

19. Désiré Sègbè Azankpo (2020 plus option)

21. Marvin Kokos (2021 plus option) - GET RID

27. Kielen Adams (2020 plus option) - GET RID

Limbo

Giles Coke (2020) - training with the youth team?

Presumably left

Benteke, de la Paz, Fane - not officially announced

Amankwaa, Baldwin, McFarlane, Norman, Norris, Scholes-Beard, Sheriff - second year scholars not offered contracts

Released or leaving

Edmundson - sold to Rangers

Hunt - contract ended by mutual agreement, signed for Swindon

Baxter, Clarke, Gardner, O'Grady, Sheridan, Taylor, Uche - released

Afolayan, Dearnley, Iacovitti, Iversen, Lang - end of loan

Notes

Robinson contract length was announced on the Irish FA website; Swaby-Neavin presumably got the same

7-8 to get rid of?

• Replies 579
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Dave_Og said:

I tend to subscribe to the view of incompetence rather than malevolence or malfeasance.

I can just see you sat in Leonard Sachs chair in a revival of the 'Good Old Days'😁

GET RID of everyone except:

Those in italics I can't say

Those in bold I would want to have in my squad

The rest you would have to keep just to have a match day squad

Mo is the best!

20. Zeus de la Paz (2020 plus option)

41. Ellis Allen (youth)

2. Zak Mills (2020)

3. Alex Iacovitti (2021 plus option) 

15. Javid Swaby-Neavin (probably 2020 plus option, out on a half-season loan to Radcliffe)

34. Tom Hamer (2022)

47. Taylor Jones (youth)

7. Johan Branger-Engone (2020) Injured?

10. Mohamed Maouche (2020)

11. Gevaro Nepomuceno (2020)

14. Harry Robinson (2020 plus option, out on a half-season loan to Crusaders)

17. Christopher Missilou (2020) 

18. Dylan Fage (2021)

23. Callum Dolan (2020 plus option, out on a rolling loan to Ashton) - AHMP

24. Mohamad Sylla (2020)

26. Jonny Smith (season-long loan from Bristol City)

19. Désiré Sègbè Azankpo (2020 plus option)

Just posted on twitter regarding Wheater. He's been pretty poor and not a patch on Peter Clarke who he was eventually brought in to replace. However, we have to ensure that we replace him adequately. By adequately, I mean somebody who has played in L1/L2 before. Somebody who is a leader (of sorts) and somebody who isn't a youngster on loan as I don't feel Hamer is ready to lead a defence yet.

We cannot go back to Iacovitti in the middle or worse still see the return of Sefil.

Have to be extremely careful with this one but I suspect he will return to Bolton. A lot felt that this would be a probability when he first arrived.

Think it endorses our suspicions that under these 🤡🤡 literally no fucker wants to be here!!

He may not have exceeded expectations but defensively we’ve been absolutely dire when he’s been out!!

***********ABDALLAH OUT************

16 minutes ago, unsworthlatic said:

Just posted on twitter regarding Wheater. He's been pretty poor and not a patch on Peter Clarke who he was eventually brought in to replace. However, we have to ensure that we replace him adequately. By adequately, I mean somebody who has played in L1/L2 before. Somebody who is a leader (of sorts) and somebody who isn't a youngster on loan as I don't feel Hamer is ready to lead a defence yet.

We cannot go back to Iacovitti in the middle or worse still see the return of Sefil.

Have to be extremely careful with this one but I suspect he will return to Bolton. A lot felt that this would be a probability when he first arrived.

Wheater has been playing on with an injury so understandable if he is struggling.

24 minutes ago, unsworthlatic said:

I'm expecting Wheater to be back at Bolton by the summer and I'd have no problem with him not being here next season, but while he hasn't had the same impact as Clarke we are going to be significantly weaker without him as it stands.  It's not the easiest type of player to replace and I don't trust us to do better, so I'd much prefer that he stays for the season.

28 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

Wheater has been playing on with an injury so understandable if he is struggling.

The injury has impacted Wheater’s overall performance but his on field demeanour has definitely changed over the course of the season. I was at the first game back in August at Forest Green and his presence along with his marshalling of the defence augured well. And that was a defence that included Sefil...

However, injury or not, he is not the player I hoped that he would be - as captain and our most experienced defender I expect more  input to the shape and organisation of the back four. He seems to have lost interest and intensity. He is not as vocal as he was and maybe he has been yearning for a return to Bolton. And interestingly I recall that a number of Bolton supporters said similar when he left them.

If he does go then he must be replaced with an ‘old head’ who will be a good player at our level and also bring some organisation and structure to the defence.

Dino said not long ago that he needed to strengthen the central defence amongst other areas. Whether that's because he knew Wheater was offski or he just doesn't rate what's left, I don't know. No surprise at all if Wheater is back at Bolton any time soon.

28 minutes ago, kowenicki said:

just loans or free agents isn’t it? 

But they can’t pay loan fees, so really Wheater would have to be released from his contract, which would make him look a bit of a bottler jumping ship, (or I might be chatting shit)🥺

6 minutes ago, SAV said:

But they can’t pay loan fees, so really Wheater would have to be released from his contract, which would make him look a bit of a bottler jumping ship, (or I might be chatting shit)🥺

You suspect the owners would be happy to facilitate his exit...

Archived