Morecambe (H)

I don’t want to detract from the fact that our side is seriously under-strength following a severe lack of investment and questionable signings but the frustration is AL dictating that we cannot play Wheater purely because AL has spat his dummy out.  

Ironically it’s all over Wheater not accepting furlough pay but now we’re paying him full wedge to play in the reserves.  That’s not just criminal but lunacy.

AL said he was doing the best for this club.  Start by swallowing your pride and playing Wheater.  I’m not suggesting he’d totally transfer the defence but he’d bring experience and a level head to it. Jombati can play RB or benched.

Absolute madness 

• Replies 255
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Harry Kewell has been dealt a tough hand by the owners. And that has to be taken into account when looking at the dreadful start and performances we have seen in the league so far.

However he and his assistant have to shoulder some of the blame for what we witnessed yesterday. Kewell rightly praised Rowe for his overall contribution in midweek and then leaves him on the bench. Bahamboula has shown himself to be a game changer in his time on the pitch but was not in the starting eleven yesterday.

Go figure 🤔

Then there is the continued poor touch and positional play from the defence. The basics such as passing and tracking your man are simply not being done. These are common drills that should be drummed into the players on the training field. Yet the same old failings were apparent again.

The players themselves are not exempt from blame. From the start of the game most of them looked nervous and off the pace, resorting to launching the ball forward at every opportunity - I lost count of the number of times we surrendered possession in that dreadful first forty five.

Lawlor, before his injury, McEleny and to a lesser extent Barnett played well. Dearnley was not allowed to show his skills as the ball was never played to him - but it was still a surprise when he was taken off.

The rest of the starting eleven were woeful. You could have taken any of Blackwood, Garrity, Whelan, Hamer and Fage off at halftime. 

Garrity can trap a ball further than I can kick it. Whelan, for all his promise, is a lightweight and too easily dispossessed in the middle - he needs time to develop. Blackwood’s contribution was nil and on his showing to date is not ready to start. And what has gone wrong with Hamer? He needs to be given a break and a chance to work on his obvious failings.

Some of us were optimistic going into the game - to an extent justified by recent improvements.

That optimism was well and truly killed off yesterday.

Defo cuda played Bahamboula in the middle instead of Garrity then he cuda kept in Dearnley. Look where our equaliser starts. Yes I know he crosses it for the second when Morecambe have relaxed but he wasn't really in the game out wide. Missed opportunity when we really needed it. Sticking by the manager (as usual🙄) but he's fucked up yesterday.

😡.

11 hours ago, BP1960 said:

What was the date we were last this low in all the league divisions?

Sometime in 1959 I guess.

We were bottom of the League when we played Exeter City last season BP, drew 0-0 - I had previously seen us 2nd bottom in 1969/70 but never bottom  

1 hour ago, Midsblue said:

I don’t want to detract from the fact that our side is seriously under-strength following a severe lack of investment and questionable signings but the frustration is AL dictating that we cannot play Wheater purely because AL has spat his dummy out.  

Ironically it’s all over Wheater not accepting furlough pay but now we’re paying him full wedge to play in the reserves.  That’s not just criminal but lunacy.

AL said he was doing the best for this club.  Start by swallowing your pride and playing Wheater.  I’m not suggesting he’d totally transfer the defence but he’d bring experience and a level head to it. Jombati can play RB or benched.

Absolute madness 

Wheater accepted furlough the issue was the top up % he was offered by AL. He’ll be on way more than the max £2500 monthly furlough contribution and I’m sure his bills/lifestyle are above that. I bet AL offered to top it up another £50 and Wheater gave him the 🖕🏼

Same issue was with woods and Rowe but it seems Rowe got sorted out in the end. 

My first match was at home v Millwall on Sept 17 1960. We lost 2-3 and were bottom after that. 
It feels that the intervening 60 years ( within a few weeks of being exact) have just brought me full circle . Another 2-3 defeat to an “M” club and go bottom 

My eternal optimism calls me to say that maybe another climb back starts now, 60 years on . Or maybe it’s the medicine talking. 
http://www.englishfootballleaguetables.co.uk/season/S1960-61/1960-09-17.html

11 minutes ago, LaticsPete said:

My first match was at home v Millwall on Sept 17 1960. We lost 2-3 and were bottom after that. 
It feels that the intervening 60 years ( within a few weeks of being exact) have just brought me full circle .

My eternal optimism calls me to say that maybe another climb back starts now, 60 years on . Or maybe it’s the medicine talking. 

Great spot. - Incredible! 👏

45 minutes ago, LaticsPete said:

It feels that the intervening 60 years ( within a few weeks of being exact) have just brought me full circle . Another 2-3 defeat to an “M” club and go bottom 

Then Bobby Johnstone was signed and good times followed.

Is there a similar player available who could also capture the fans imagination?

Bring in non league players - end up in non league.

Bring in a manager who has spent 90% of his managerial career in the relegation zone - end up getting relegated.

Bring in amateurs to run the club - end up with an amateur club.

Simple really.

Anything else for the recipe?

43 minutes ago, Chaddyexile84 said:

Harry Kewell knew exactly the hand he was dealt when he signed up.

The guy is a fucking fraud and not a good one and his accent is already pissing me off. 

The first part of what you say would apply to any manager at Latics though. It doesn’t mean that it isn’t true. They are being dealt a bad hand. That’s probably why we don’t tend to attract experienced managers/coaches. We usually go for novices who just want to take their first step on the ladder. eg Wellens, Bunn, Wild. They’ll be the cheapest options too.

Anyone with experience has probably been promised no interference but of course it happens and then there’s friction.

In the past someone like Shez would have come running to our rescue, but now i doubt he’d touch us with a barge pole. There’s a reason for that.

1 minute ago, yarddog73 said:

Bring in a manager who has spent 90% of his managerial career in the relegation zone - end up getting relegated.

Simple really.

Absolutely. I’ve said exactly the same in the past, particularly on the playing side.

Fill your team with sub-standard players and you end up with a sub-standard team.

I don’t really blame the players. They are playing to their standard, it’s why most of them are in the bottom division.

Wheater would help, McCann would have helped. Clarkey would still have helped but they binned him off just because of his age.

This current team is crying out for an old head (or two), some experience where they’ve seen it all before and bring some steadiness onto the pitch. 

memoires latics pete.that was the third season of real struggle.latics finished 21st and 23 in the previous two seasns.i went to stockoprt on this w/e in 1960.latics won 1-0,corner headed from john liddell.a policeman told me we had signed bobby johnstone.yes we need something similiar

1 hour ago, super_blue said:

Wheater accepted furlough the issue was the top up % he was offered by AL. He’ll be on way more than the max £2500 monthly furlough contribution and I’m sure his bills/lifestyle are above that. I bet AL offered to top it up another £50 and Wheater gave him the 🖕🏼

Same issue was with woods and Rowe but it seems Rowe got sorted out in the end. 

AL agreed to top it up to the full amount, then reneged on the deal. Then got shitty when DW didn't drop it. Suspect Rowe was in a similar boat but caved, which is why he's still featuring, albeit clearly still in the bad books.

Top players coming to the end of their careers don’t tend to move down the leagues nowadays. In the pre Premiership days they still had to make a living and signings like our very own, Bobby Johnstone, Tony Hateley, Martin Buchan, Ray Wilson etc. etc. were common place.

Dropping down from £100k+ to £2k a week doesn’t have the same appeal and is probably the reason Scholes never ended up here.

The Premiership has fucked up the lower league experience in so many ways!!

1 hour ago, yarddog73 said:

Simple really.

Method: overcook for 90 minutes

2 hours ago, LaticsPete said:

That's a great website LaticsPete. After BP's query above about us ever being so low, I was wondering how to look up in-season league positions and that website does the job (maybe not so great on second thoughts! 😆).

In 1958/59 we lost 6 of our first 7 and were joint bottom of Div 4 with Crewe, though 23rd on goal average. We were still joint bottom on 21 March (22nd on goal average) but managed to finish 21st.

In 1959/60 we won our first 2 league games but then went 16 without a win, drawing 4 and losing 12! On 31 Oct we lost 1-0 at Southport and were 24th with 8 points, 4 points behind Barrow and Hartlepool. That season we finished 23rd.

1960/61 was another grim start. After 12 games we'd won 1, drawn 2 and lost 9 and were....24th. We finished 12th.

All goes to show that grim times have been here before, but at least back then we were usually pulling bigger crowds. With the current attendance ban and these clowns running the club I'm genuinely scared for Latics.

3 hours ago, yarddog73 said:

Simple really.

Bring in pie n peas- delay the fans meeting

18 minutes ago, kev1969 said:

That guy should have been booked for what he did to our keeper yesterday fained injury so did not get yellow

We are too nice and too fair at times. Piergianni calling the ref over because their player was ‘injured’! Clarkey would have been in his face telling him that he got what he deserved because his intention was to injure or at least intimidate our keeper. When do you ever see us timewasting? even on the rare occasions when we are winning near the end of a game? Other teams do it all the time at BP. We need to be nastier and more cynical. We are probably seen as a soft touch.

Even if Wheater was in the defence, the result wouldn't change much. The problem is the weak midfield, which can't win tackles, constantly gives the ball away and run around like headless chickens. All this puts added pressure onto a poor defence which isn't protected.

Archived