Playing Squad - Summer 21

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Unmasked said:

There is no great issue here but Tarky and Hamer and CBJ were playing first team football at his age as was Harry Clarke . All defenders. Witton Albion are part time and play in a league where teenagers are commonplace . As I say no issue with the loan other than it shows how far off he is 

Edmundson was destined to remain in non league then?

6 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

Edmundson was destined to remain in non league then?

He went at a younger age  to a  top end full time  National League side …for 10 games . Not a  bottom half part time team in the Northern Premier League 2 tiers below the National League .
.  I thought with your encyclopaedic knowledge of the local non league scene would recognise the chalk and cheesecake difference in the 2 loans that

how many from Witton Albion have you recommended and how many made it ? 

23 minutes ago, Unmasked said:

He went at a younger age  to a  top end full time  National League side …for 10 games . Not a  bottom half part time team in the Northern Premier League 2 tiers below the National League .
.  I thought with your encyclopaedic knowledge of the local non league scene would recognise the chalk and cheesecake difference in the 2 loans that

How many alter egos have you had? And how many have lasted?

20 minutes ago, mcfluff1985 said:

How many alter egos have you had? And how many have lasted?

Got him on ignore but still see when quoted - mods seem to be reluctant to get rid of his latest identity despite being reported - he is the definition of “sealioning” 

45 minutes ago, Unmasked said:

My encyclopedic memory tells me Edmundson went on loan to Ramsbottom at the same age as Sutton, progressing to Alfreton at the age of 19. No one can make it with a start like that by your criteria.

4 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

My encyclopedic memory tells me Edmundson went on loan to Ramsbottom at the same age as Sutton, progressing to Alfreton at the age of 19. No one can make it with a start like that by your criteria.

Edmundson was in our first team at 18 

2 minutes ago, Chaddyexile84 said:

Got him on ignore but still see when quoted - mods seem to be reluctant to get rid of his latest identity despite being reported - he is the definition of “sealioning” 

Chaddy, just read his posts and smile, it must take a degree of skill to be so askant (I might have made that word up but it sounds right). 

14 minutes ago, Unmasked said:

A

..in league 1 too

Check Wikipedia. Edmundson was given a free transfer by us, only to be recalled by the next manager, obviously you weren't aware of that?

Sutton has been retained.

I take no notice of what level a player is at, it doesn't mean they can't make the grade. 

6 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

Check Wikipedia. Edmundson was given a free transfer by us, only to be recalled by the next manager, obviously you weren't aware of that?

Sutton has been retained.

So he didn’t play for us in league 1 as an 18 year old in 1-0 victories away to Southend and home to Crewe in April 2016 ?   You might want to update Wikipedia 

20 minutes ago, Unmasked said:

So he didn’t play for us in league 1 as an 18 year old in 1-0 victories away to Southend and home to Crewe in April 2016 ?   You might want to update Wikipedia 

The point is you are rubbishing the prospects of a young player who has gone on loan to a non league  club. I recommended three Sunday league pub players who finished up in the Championship so to trash a player in the NPL at 18 is ridiculous.

Obviously some won't make it, but you cant rule them all out.

incidentally, Edmundsom was born in 1997 and this photo at Alfreton is dated 2016... https://www.alamy.com/stock-photo-george-edmundson-during-his-alfreton-town-debut-118770878.html

7 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

The point is you are rubbishing the prospects of a young player who has gone on loan to a non league  club. I recommended three Sunday league pub players who finished up in the Championship so to trash a player in the NPL at 18 is ridiculous.

Obviously some won't make it, but you cant rule them all out.

I am rubbishing the benefits a professional footballer playing for a part time team at a not great standard , 

Who were the Sunday League  pub players ? 

23 minutes ago, Unmasked said:

I am rubbishing the benefits a professional footballer playing for a part time team at a not great standard , 

Who were the Sunday League  pub players ? 

Lee Trundle, Tony Naylor and Tony Ellis, all playing in Sunday league at Sutton's age. 

Tony Ellis was signed by Latics, but I thought released far too early, he went on to score 185 goals in the EFL, many in the Championship.

I also recommended an 18yo from the North East Countries league, and Chris Waddle didn't turn out bad. 

Another two were locals from Curzon Ashton and Mossley who went on to play in the top flight, one becoming an International the other starring in the European cup. Never write anyone off because the level they play at.

Rick Holden will tell you he was playing amateur football aged 21.

I missed Jamie Vardy though, you can't win them all.

End of conversation.

30 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

Lee Trundle, Tony Naylor and Tony Ellis, all playing in Sunday league at Sutton's age. 

Tony Ellis was signed by Latics, but I thought released far too early, he went on to score 185 goals in the EFL, many in the Championship.

I also recommended an 18yo from the North East Countries league, and Chris Waddle didn't turn out bad. 

Another two were locals from Curzon Ashton and Mossley who went on to play in the top flight, one becoming an International the other starring in the European cup. Never write anyone off because the level they play at.

Rick Holden will tell you he was playing amateur football aged 21.

I missed Jamie Vardy though, you can't win them all.

End of conversation.

You missed Jamie Vardy? Right I'm done with you. Bleeding amateur. 

29 minutes ago, astottie said:

You missed Jamie Vardy? Right I'm done with you. Bleeding amateur. 

It was strange that one, only saw him once and he was well held by the opposition defence.

I guess he had an off day as can happen.

Should have followed up. From the same game I recommended Lee Gregory instead, who did at least make the Championship.

14 hours ago, Unmasked said:

Sutton has also played a couple of first-team games as an 18 year old, including in the league against Forest Green. He's now going out on loan to Witton as an 18 year old, as Edmundson did with Ramsbottom. Feels like a very sensible comparison to me... 

Must try harder.

16 hours ago, BP1960 said:

Tony Ellis was signed by Latics, but I thought released far too early

From what little we saw of him I thought he had potential which his subsequent career proved.

With hindsight he wasn't going to feature in the front line for the next couple of years so it was probably right for him and us to move on.

By the time we were relying on a disinterested Sharp and pedestrian Currie he might have been a better bet.

10 minutes ago, Longlostfan said:

From what little we saw of him I thought he had potential which his subsequent career proved.

With hindsight he wasn't going to feature in the front line for the next couple of years so it was probably right for him and us to move on.

By the time we were relying on a disinterested Sharp and pedestrian Currie he might have been a better bet.

He was years earlier than Sharp and Currie

20 minutes ago, Dave_Og said:

He was years earlier than Sharp and Currie

That was my point really Dave.

He was just before the magnificent Andy Ritchie, Roger Palmer was still in his pomp and then Ian Marshall moved forward. I don't think he would have got a look in.

Later when it was Currie and Sharp he might have been an upgrade - at least he would have looked like he cared but he would have been bench warming from 1987 until about 1992.

Archived