MATCH: vs Barrow (A) 29/12/21

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, deyres42 said:

Booing players for trying to play football on the floor, what a way to end the year.

THIS.

Nothing has ever been more Latics. l met Neal Eardley once and had a chat about it. Told him l thought he was a good player, always have and that l was delighted for him to be captaining a team in the championship. Explained how l felt the fanbase' treatment of him as an international player was embarrassing and how it was currently just about to be repeated with a young player coming thru called Tom Hamer.

He was like Nah no way you support Oldham with that kind of attitude.

He just couldn't get his head round why we do that, its like some form of failed reverse bullying or something!! After a while tho few little anecdotes we both remembered he knew our little group and Craig Davies loved us aswell after the had to explain to Stefan Stam what one of us meant when they referred to 'the Battle of the Bulge' one time. So that was nice. But he basically hates us. Mark Allott did not find the 'used to be shite' moment at crewe in the slightest bit funny, whereas he still fully laughed at it to that day (as did l).

Players talk about fans all the time apparantley. We are rated as plucky mid range big hitters who can put on a show when we want to, but are a bit backwards. 😂😂.

lts 100% accurate.

Anyway. Sorry for the tangent. Do l even know it's criss time or what 🙄.

48 minutes ago, Monty Burns said:

THIS.

Nothing has ever been more Latics. l met Neal Eardley once and had a chat about it. Told him l thought he was a good player, always have and that l was delighted for him to be captaining a team in the championship. Explained how l felt the fanbase' treatment of him as an international player was embarrassing and how it was currently just about to be repeated with a young player coming thru called Tom Hamer.

He just couldn't get his head round why we do that, its like some form of failed reverse bullying or something!! After a while tho few little anecdotes we both remembered he knew our little group and Craig Davies loved us aswell after the had to explain to Stefan Stam what one of us meant when they referred to 'the Battle of the Bulge' one time. So that was nice. But he basically hates us. Mark Allott did not find the 'used to be shite' moment at crewe in the slightest bit funny, whereas he still fully laughed at it to that day (as did l).

Players talk about fans all the time apparantley. We are rated as plucky mid range big hitters who can put on a show when we want to, but are a bit backwards. 😂😂.

lts 100% accurate.

Football fans up and down the country boo their teams when they are shit - please can we all stop pretending it’s just an OAFC thing 

you want to go to St James’ park one day 

1 hour ago, Chaddyexile84 said:

Football fans up and down the country boo their teams when they are shit - please can we all stop pretending it’s just an OAFC thing 

It's also not just us who have a problem with their teams playing it out from the back.

I went to Bolton vs Gillingham earlier in the season good match finished 2-2 Bolton played the ball out from the back their fans were disgruntled and were moaning about this including my friend sat next to me. I did reason with him here that they had Eoin Doyle up the middle against 2 CBs who were both 6"2 and would want to head it. If they went long the ball would just come back at them so they had to try abd pass their way through Gillingham which they did reasonably well and Boltons equaliser came from am attack which started out with them passing the ball out from the back and passing the ball through the 3rds.

It's not just us in Lancashire who have a problem with this. I saw recently a story by Robbie him off Arsenal fan TV. Who had his lad down at Arsenals academy as you can imagine their the coaches are trying to teach them to pass the ball out from the back however over enthusiastic parents from the side were telling them to get rid of it. One of the coaches had to have a word with said parents to try and stop them from telling the kids to do that from the sidelines as they are trying teach them how to play out from the back under pressure. It's something that football fans will probably have to get used I think it should overall be encouraged overall. I mean if you are going to go long from Goal kicks with our forward line then you may aswell just kick it out for a throw in and have done with it because they won't win an aerial duel. 

3 hours ago, Worcester Owl said:

They were not trying to play football, or at any rate were not trying hard enough.

I don't know about that.  I don't think there was any lack of effort.

I think they were just doing what they were told by our esteemed coach and Sporting Director.

Magehey played alright and played his part in a clean sheet.  Surely he must've known the booing wasn't aimed at him personally?  It would be damn right weird if the fans were targeting him.

15 minutes ago, GlossopLatic said:

It's also not just us who have a problem with their teams playing it out from the back.

I went to Bolton vs Gillingham earlier in the season good match finished 2-2 Bolton played the ball out from the back their fans were disgruntled and were moaning about this including my friend sat next to me. I did reason with him here that they had Eoin Doyle up the middle against 2 CBs who were both 6"2 and would want to head it. If they went long the ball would just come back at them so they had to try abd pass their way through Gillingham which they did reasonably well and Boltons equaliser came from am attack which started out with them passing the ball out from the back and passing the ball through the 3rds.

It's not just us in Lancashire who have a problem with this. I saw recently a story by Robbie him off Arsenal fan TV. Who had his lad down at Arsenals academy as you can imagine their the coaches are trying to teach them to pass the ball out from the back however over enthusiastic parents from the side were telling them to get rid of it. One of the coaches had to have a word with said parents to try and stop them from telling the kids to do that from the sidelines as they are trying teach them how to play out from the back under pressure. It's something that football fans will probably have to get used I think it should overall be encouraged overall. I mean if you are going to go long from Goal kicks with our forward line then you may aswell just kick it out for a throw in and have done with it because they won't win an aerial duel. 

Agree with all that except for our lot can’t pass 2 yards any better than they can 100 yards and I’d rather we lost it in their half than our own 6 yard box - playing out of the back is fine if you can do it 

we can’t and the routine I witnessed on Sunday was embarrassing 

I have no problem with us playing (or at least trying) out from the back. I don't think we do it right though. Usually you see the 2 cbs split to each side of the box, the full backs are pushed high and wide and you have a cm drop deep. That gives you enough options if the opposition press high. We have a cb effectively stood next to the gk and the other on the edge of the box. It effectively cramps us for space and we either lose the ball or have to hoof it under pressure. I think the reason most get annoyed with it is they can see it puts us under pressure far too often at the back and this team doesn't cope with that particularly well.

As above, no problem from me whatsoever with playing out from the back as a principle. But we have to have both the players and the know-how to do it and we have neither. Hence it doesn’t work and we just end up either losing the ball in our third or hoofing it anyway. If that makes me backwards then fair enough, I’d call it pragmatism.

Of course, the major problem we have, and the main failing of our recruitment, is that there is no target to aim for upfront so whatever happens the ball doesn’t stick. This has to be number one priority in Jan if we are to have any chance whatsoever. 

2 hours ago, JoeP said:

I think they were just doing what they were told by our esteemed coach and Sporting Director.

Magehey played alright and played his part in a clean sheet.  Surely he must've known the booing wasn't aimed at him personally?  It would be damn right weird if the fans were targeting him.

I think he was trying to stand up for the team as a whole. When they were getting stick for goal kicks he gestured to the crowd to calm down.

7 hours ago, GlossopLatic said:

Putting your scouting hat on BP if you were a scout who would you be recommending I can only think Vaughan and Piergianni will be getting any interest. Bahamboula has shown no form this season Couto probably still has some development to do so I can't see them getting any interest either.

Vaughan and Couto are as good if not better than most in Premiership Academy teams, so that's a good yardstick to go by.

Bahamboula is a confidence player and what you see is what you get. At somewhere like Forest Green he'd be far more effective.

Only seen him a couple of times, but Modi in the Latics youth team shows promise. You can't always predict with kids though as some with bags of talent can go off the rails.

As for recommendations unfortunately there won't be much quality available, although if Missilou was anything like he was when last here then I'd take him.

The striker at Whitby Jacob Hazel is still scoring plenty of goals, but it's a big gamble taking a chance on him.

1 minute ago, BP1960 said:

The striker at Whitby Jacob Hazel is still scoring plenty of goals, but it's a big gamble taking a chance on him.

It would probably be a bigger gamble for him. He may have kids, a mortgage and a bigger salary doing whatever he does than we could pay. 

6 hours ago, archiecat said:

There is not a single one of these players play for the shirt!

Oldham Athletic means absolutely Jack Shit to any of them,their only interest is picking up their pay packet every month and maybe having some crazy dream that they will one day play at a higher level.

Every last one of them, barring youngsters  Cuoto,Vaughan et al are absolutely crap.

They have ended up with us because nobody else will have them,so don't be thinking there will be any form of mass exodus. Unless the gruesome twosome pay this bunch off they won't be going anywhere.

Even then, we have to rid ourselves of loads of these dummies to be able to bring in just a couple of new recruits ( please correct me if i am wrong on this point)

Which brings us onto any potential new arrivals, we can only hope that the tea lady has been promoted to head of recruitment.

2022 going to be a cracker eh ? 

Not a bad idea, I remember the tea lady at Droylsden taking over for the Manchester Senior cup and they won it.

Mind you with the likes of Dale Stephens, Matt Smith, Danny Rowe, Sean Whalley and even Dan Gardner around they were a miles better team than this Latics outfit.

3 hours ago, GlossopLatic said:

Ok if players have the ability, but ours lump it anyway when under pressure, we all know it's only a matter of time before Luetwiler is caught out, resulting in another nail in our coffin.

7 hours ago, Worcester Owl said:

I think the quid pro quo is non stop effort = fan support. When we KO’d Liverpool we should have been well beaten, on any rational basis. The win was due in no small part to a fantastic determination to have a go, backed up by great crowd support. The two fed off each other.

I can forgive the lack of quality, for all the reasons that you rightly point out. I can’t forgive a lack of effort and time wasting, in a match we had to win.

fait point Worcester

I have just never booed my shirt and walk at Away games before it starts 

Achieves nothing and I suspect it puts many players further in their shell

Bad enough for them to be in a fight for survival without knowing if they put a foot wrong there is a pile in on them 

6 hours ago, Monty Burns said:

THIS.

lts 100% accurate.

Messed up totally arent

5 hours ago, Chaddyexile84 said:

37 minutes ago, tGWB said:

fait point Worcester

I have just never booed my shirt and walk at Away games before it starts 

Achieves nothing and I suspect it puts many players further in their shell

Bad enough for them to be in a fight for survival without knowing if they put a foot wrong there is a pile in on them 

21 minutes ago, tGWB said:

Messed up totally arent

Once again 

happens… at… every… club… in… the country if not the world 

stop kidding yourself Latics fans are the evil of the EFL - Thats what the clowns in charge of the club try

again look at Newcastle under Brucie 

4 hours ago, JoeP said:

Prob sticking up for his team mates

Archived