MATCH: vs Carlisle United (H) 05/03/22

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's been the same problem all season. The problem when the season started is still an issue now. Recruitment.. We have no squad depth. I'd sent Hunt back now and try and aquire a target man. He's too lightweight and one paced.. Guessing would have to be a free agent if we were be able to sign anyone? 

Big month coming up. If anything the players probably need a break but squad so thin will be difficult to manage. 

It's close at the bottom so as long as we can pick up points again next week every chance of staying up. 

5 minutes ago, bluehobbit said:

It's been the same problem all season. The problem when the season started is still an issue now. Recruitment.. We have no squad depth. I'd sent Hunt back now and try and aquire a target man. He's too lightweight and one paced.. Guessing would have to be a free agent if we were be able to sign anyone? 

Big month coming up. If anything the players probably need a break but squad so thin will be difficult to manage. 

It's close at the bottom so as long as we can pick up points again next week every chance of staying up. 

I wouldn't be worrying about opponents or months at this stage, it is almost certainly going to need to be 5 or 6 wins from the remaining games.

Bloody awful today. It just seemed to be one those days.  

Passing was awful,  up front we were weak, lots of our key players were way from their best.

MOM Sam Hart. All the others looked knackered after 5 minutes. 

But we move on, we will be better next Saturday, but we will need to be a lot better for the rest of the season.

In Shez we trust.

34 minutes ago, bluehobbit said:

To be fair, we have just suffered two long term injuries to strikers. 

Disappointed today but not giving up, this was always destined to go to the last game.

If we fall short by three points, I won't rue today's result, losing to Scunthorpe was the potentially fatal blow.

Since Shez inherited that result and a paper thin squad, certain relegation is now a fighting chance of survival.

Not having a target man is a hammer blow, the owner chose not to address the embargo situation, culpability for relegation would be his alone.

If there is any way to create a gap in the squad, allowing a free agent to sign, this must be in mind. Otherwise, we rely on a resurgent Hallam or fast healing Junior to return by April.

Can't give up on Dylan, clearly he needs to focus, missing the chance from DKD's fluffed pen really did cost us dear.

Ironically signing Fondop and releasing a now fit Dearnley looks like it’s weakened our squad. Jamie Bowden cancelling his loan and replacing with Alex Hunt not looking great either. Our January business looking really poor - only Missalou strengthened us.

Others, including Carlisle, got more bodies in to bolster. Carlisle brought in Patrick, Devitt & Dennis to name just 3. How slow was Kristian Dennis btw!!!!

8 minutes ago, Sloshed Joe said:

Ironically signing Fondop and releasing a now fit Dearnley looks like it’s weakened our squad. Jamie Bowden cancelling his loan and replacing with Alex Hunt not looking great either. Our January business looking really poor - only Missalou strengthened us.

Others, including Carlisle, got more bodies in to bolster. Carlisle brought in Patrick, Devitt & Dennis to name just 3. How slow was Kristian Dennis btw!!!!

Their number 27 was quality though, always in space and good on the ball.

First and foremost we’re considerably better off than when Shez took over.He’s performed miracles so far.On today I felt the side just looked tired,particularly the second half.I understand the reluctance to play the youngsters although Luamba is a huge miss.Today I felt Adams and Keillor-Dunn could’ve been replaced by Couto and Vaughan,they’ve got obvious quality and just the simple threat of a long throw in the final knockings of the game could’ve produced something.Anyway Shez will need to use them as the squad isn’t strong enough not to.

Having watched most games this season aside from the lack of power up front has been standing off opposition central midfielders and letting them have acres of space to pass the ball around. Today was a prime example

We need to close them down better.

I am sure Shez is aware of this and that's why he tried Diarra.

However, other aspects of his game leave a lot to be desired.

We musn't let Swindon do the same next Saturday or we will be in the mire.

Yesterday was a huge reality check for me and I suspect for many others.

As pointed out in earlier posts, many of the players, who have played so well since the return of John Sheridan as manager, looked jaded. And with this we saw the return of the familiar failings: poor passing, caught in possession far too often and a collective lack of energy.

The defeat yesterday has been on the cards for the last couple of games although the timing of Carlisle’s winner was particularly cruel.

At Colchester we saw a similar dropping off in play in the second half. We were fortunate to come away with a point there but yesterday our luck ran out.

Mistakes were punished with both the opposition goals stemming from individual error. 

The midfield is constantly bullied, bisected and bypassed with ease.

This, coupled with the inability of our forward players to keep hold of the ball, means that our defence is overworked and inevitably overran.

Like some, I am perplexed as to why Vaughan and Couto are being overlooked. Hunt and Stobbs are preferred by the manager but neither have delivered. 
Time for a change.

Missilou and Hart were the standout players yesterday with Adams putting in a good shift too. Once again though, Whelan and DKD were too easily outmuscled.

And then there’s Bahamboula…

In the early games under Sheridan he was encouraged to cut out the fancy (and over complicated) footwork and 

keep it simple. He is often double marked by the opposition so moving the ball quickly seems a logical move to me - yesterday he reverted to type. He should have scored from the penalty rebound and in the second half he was let down by poor control when free in the penalty area.

The match statistics show that we had nine attempts on goal in the first forty-five with only three in the second (with not a single one on target)
By contrast, Carlisle had three in the first half and twelve in the second half (with four on target).

Sheridan has worked minor miracles since his return. The squad he has inherited is small and lacking effective players in key areas of the pitch. For the majority of the team yesterday it seemed that the effort finally caught up with them and many were running on empty.

Time to regroup and go again.

28 minutes ago, TheBigDog said:

As pointed out in earlier posts, many of the players, who have played so well since the return of John Sheridan as manager, looked jaded. And with this we saw the return of the familiar failings: poor passing, caught in possession far too often and a collective lack of energy.

The defeat yesterday has been on the cards for the last couple of games although the timing of Carlisle’s winner was particularly cruel.

At Colchester we saw a similar dropping off in play in the second half. We were fortunate to come away with a point there but yesterday our luck ran out.

Mistakes were punished with both the opposition goals stemming from individual error. 

This, coupled with the inability of our forward players to keep hold of the ball, means that our defence is overworked and inevitably overran.

Like some, I am perplexed as to why Vaughan and Couto are being overlooked. Hunt and Stobbs are preferred by the manager but neither have delivered. 
Time for a change.

Missilou and Hart were the standout players yesterday with Adams putting in a good shift too. Once again though, Whelan and DKD were too easily outmuscled.

In the early games under Sheridan he was encouraged to cut out the fancy (and over complicated) footwork and 

keep it simple. He is often double marked by the opposition so moving the ball quickly seems a logical move to me - yesterday he reverted to type. He should have scored from the penalty rebound and in the second half he was let down by poor control when free in the penalty area.

The match statistics show that we had nine attempts on goal in the first forty-five with only three in the second (with not a single one on target)
By contrast, Carlisle had three in the first half and twelve in the second half (with four on target).

Sheridan has worked minor miracles since his return. The squad he has inherited is small and lacking effective players in key areas of the pitch. For the majority of the team yesterday it seemed that the effort finally caught up with them and many were running on empty.

Pretty much spot on but Bahamboula's chance from the rebound was more difficult than DKD's chance to score from the penalty.

17 hours ago, AnthonyOAFC said:

Second half was absolutely awful. Absolutely nothing in midfield. So many sloppy passes, easily dispossessed, and predictable down the wings. Sam Hart is a great player. 

Enjoyed being in the Athleticos section again, even though I feel like a bit of a childminder (I'm late 20s). It's very hard to generate a loud atmosphere when the team is playing so flat. Carlisle fans awful for the most part. They had the cheek to sing "We forgot that you were here". Hilarious. 

We have to regroup and get ready for some very tough games. 

Almost as cringeworthy as Posh fans singing "Premier League, you're having a laugh !" to Man City the other week. 

2 hours ago, TheBigDog said:

Without JS we would be well adrift at the bottom with Scunthorpe

As it stands, we have just come out of a 7 game unbeaten run and are just 3pts from safety with games in hand

The future of our club staying in the Football League is now in our own hands

You're witnessing a modern day football miracle

1 hour ago, tGWB said:

Without JS we would be well adrift at the bottom with Scunthorpe

Agreed

As it stands, we have just come out of a 7 game unbeaten run and are just 3pts from safety with games in hand

When a ‘new manager bounce’ run ends, it quite often means a ‘revert to type’ run follows.

And games in hand don’t necessarily equate to points in the bag.

The future of our club staying in the Football League is now in our own hands

It always was surely?

You're witnessing a modern day football miracle

A little tongue in cheek I think but there is still a long way to go before we can call this a ‘miracle’

See inline above 👍

4 hours ago, mick26 said:

Pretty much spot on but Bahamboula's chance from the rebound was more difficult than DKD's chance to score from the penalty.

Bahamboula should be playing wide, who do you leave out?

30 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

Bahamboula should be playing wide, who do you leave out?

Maybe try Adams with Missilou leaving Whelan out? No lack of effort and decent passing - most crosses blocked or wasted for now as missing proper centre forward.

38 minutes ago, mick26 said:

Maybe try Adams with Missilou leaving Whelan out? No lack of effort and decent passing - most crosses blocked or wasted for now as missing proper centre forward.

Always thought Adams could be that clever midfielder we need, esp now missile would be doung most of the graft.

Couto and Hart down left, gives us Coutos long throw back too

8 hours ago, TheBigDog said:

Time for a change.

Good fair analysis BigDog.

At the end of the day we need to find a way to ge more points than the one of the five teams above us to stay up. We are as good as any of them I'd say.

If we can't do this then we deserve to go down.

15 points from 13 games should be enough as looking like 45/46 will be safe. Not easy I know but doable. 

Archived