Signing & Player Rumours

1 hour ago, Careca9 said:

We will be aiming quite high in regards to player signings. Reliably informed they are going to try and benefit from the contract changes that are incoming over wages when injured. The general rule will be 3 months injured and I think it’s like statutory sick pay. Latics will honour full payment even if injured in new contracts. If majority of clubs don’t do that it could leave us in a stronger position to sign. The turnover will be substantial though and when that happens it’s never easy to start well so big job for Unsy to get us off to a good start next year 

They confirmed at the fans forum that we would be paying injured players in full still, which rightly got a round of applause and is a good move. Given the negative press around this, I do think the majority of clubs will follow suit. Wouldn't surprise me if the plans got scrapped. Stupid idea to begin with. 

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 4/16/2023 at 6:54 PM, Gaz_Oafc said:

Haven't we agreed a deal for Regan Booty?

Or has that deal been shown the back door?

I'm sure I heard on the pod that there's competition for Booty, so he has a tough call to make. Sounded like he might have had his head turned by a better offer.

4 hours ago, TheBigDog said:

The one who would have been a cracking signing is Ryan Colclough -  Chesterfield have got a real player there I reckon. 

He was on our doorstep playing at Altrincham too 😮

After tonight splash out on Jack Bridge of Southend.

This is the sort of quality player we should be signing.

18 hours ago, BP1960 said:

After tonight splash out on Jack Bridge of Southend.

This is the sort of quality player we should be signing.

I was also impressed with their number 8, Noor Husin. Bossed midfield (along with Bridge) and put in that first half cross that their full back ought to have scored.

To be honest, they were a flip side to us; put in plenty of troublesome deliveries but had no-one with a clinical edge.

Southend born and bred and unlikely to move north, especially after a relatively poor spell at Carlisle a few years ago.

Think we are more likely to look for northerners/northern based lads to avoid upheaval and/or accommodation costs.

2 hours ago, Boyyou said:

Southend born and bred and unlikely to move north, especially after a relatively poor spell at Carlisle a few years ago.

Think we are more likely to look for northerners/northern based lads to avoid upheaval and/or accommodation costs.

Quite an important factor when you consider the level we are at Geography plays an important factor anyway but even more so the further down the pyramid. The good news is we should be able to attract almost any top level national league level player in the North of England. So the likes of Kurt Willoughby or Regan Booty who while being at Maidstone is a Northern lad will be a better fit for us.

Infact generally we don't have too many southerners who come here and do well or come here and settle anyway. We are a really Northern club in this respect. Maybe Fitz Hall and Wayne Andrews but I can't think of too many Southerners who have settled here. Alternatively we do have a long history of having Scousers who do well here Ian Marshall, Nick Henry, David Eyres, Peter Clarke, Jose Baxter, Anthony Gerrard, Connor Macleney, Callum Lang, Ben Tollit, John Rooney. Maybe it's just me that notices that I don't know.

5 hours ago, Boyyou said:

It is a consideration, but players know they could move if it suits them.

Some move from overseas.

5 hours ago, Boyyou said:

Are you saying that a move to Oldham, for Jack, it’s a bridge too far? 

On 4/19/2023 at 8:46 PM, GlossopLatic said:

Quite an important factor when you consider the level we are at Geography plays an important factor anyway but even more so the further down the pyramid. The good news is we should be able to attract almost any top level national league level player in the North of England. So the likes of Kurt Willoughby or Regan Booty who while being at Maidstone is a Northern lad will be a better fit for us.

Infact generally we don't have too many southerners who come here and do well or come here and settle anyway. We are a really Northern club in this respect. Maybe Fitz Hall and Wayne Andrews but I can't think of too many Southerners who have settled here. Alternatively we do have a long history of having Scousers who do well here Ian Marshall, Nick Henry, David Eyres, Peter Clarke, Jose Baxter, Anthony Gerrard, Connor Macleney, Callum Lang, Ben Tollit, John Rooney. Maybe it's just me that notices that I don't know.

Speaking of scousers, Jonny Smith is out of contract at the end of this season and has mainly been on the bench for Burton. He was loved here and it’s the only place he’s really flourished, so surely he’d consider it…

On 4/16/2023 at 10:18 AM, Frankly Mr Shankly said:

Anyway. Whispers I heard last week was Chester's Kurt Willoughby wants to come to us and Josh Lundstram at Alty is strongly on our radar.

Which certainly won't please @HarryBosch who would would prefer proper EFL players like Ellis Chapman and Chris Porter. 😉

Whilst I would love this as I’ve been banging on about Lundstram all season, he’s recently signed a new contract so will cost a lot more now. Still not as much as Colclough mind but he’s a proper centre midfielder, has great technique as well as an engine.

13 hours ago, b0ndl1ne said:

Speaking of scousers, Jonny Smith is out of contract at the end of this season and has mainly been on the bench for Burton. He was loved here and it’s the only place he’s really flourished, so surely he’d consider it…

Nice idea but not a cat in hell's chance....

15 hours ago, b0ndl1ne said:

That really would be a major step up for us. Matty Palmer dropped down the league and he has been superb for Notts County. 

Archived