MATCH: Notts County (H) 01/01/23

36 minutes ago, bigfatjoe1 said:

A few people screaming for a switch to 4-4-2. Isn't this a mixture of nostalgia and ignorance? Not many teams use a 4-4-2 for various tactical reasons. You need a solid three in midfield, or you get over run. 

I used to like the old 4-4-2, but to use it now would be naive. We'd be slaughtered, and the lack of pace in CD would be massively exposed. Sorry, but this went out with the dinosaurs. I'd go 4-3-3 or 4-5-1, with 4-2-3-1 as a variation.

It probably is out of date but I’d use it over what’s been dished out so far. What he’s been advocating doesn’t suit the players. It’s stupidly negative and still ends in defeat so it’s pointless. 

• Replies 309
  • Created
  • Last Reply
48 minutes ago, bigfatjoe1 said:

A few people screaming for a switch to 4-4-2. Isn't this a mixture of nostalgia and ignorance? Not many teams use a 4-4-2 for various tactical reasons. You need a solid three in midfield, or you get over run. 

I used to like the old 4-4-2, but to use it now would be naive. We'd be slaughtered, and the lack of pace in CD would be massively exposed. Sorry, but this went out with the dinosaurs. I'd go 4-3-3 or 4-5-1, with 4-2-3-1 as a variation.

its ancient, its classic Latics fans. we get over run in CM enuf as it is.

If we go 4-4-2 with our two new strikers up top, then we need to lose Tollitt despite his scoring record. He is not a left midfield player and hasn’t the energy or defensive ability to play the role. Similarly we don’t have a suitable right sided midfield player. You also can’t play Rooney in his best position just behind the striker. Basically, we have spent money buying players that can’t play at the same time unless they are out of position. 

1 minute ago, steveecky said:

If we go 4-4-2 with our two new strikers up top, then we need to lose Tollitt despite his scoring record. He is not a left midfield player and hasn’t the energy or defensive ability to play the role. Similarly we don’t have a suitable right sided midfield player. You also can’t play Rooney in his best position just behind the striker. Basically, we have spent money buying players that can’t play at the same time unless they are out of position. 

Its only the fans calling for 4 4 2

He has players capable playing about 50 formations, not less his supposed favoured 4 3 3 

I wish he didn't "big up" Notts County so much either, as if they are ferkin Real Madrid. They are a non league team whom Dorking put 3 past when beating them, Coalville bloody Town beat them and Southend, Yeovil, Boreham Wood, Gateshead, Chesterfield and Bromley have all drawn with them. Pack it in Unsworth and get your side motivated to go out and beat these. The fans deserve it.

7 minutes ago, wiseowl said:

I wish he didn't "big up" Notts County so much either, as if they are ferkin Real Madrid. They are a non league team whom Dorking put 3 past when beating them, Coalville bloody Town beat them and Southend, Yeovil, Boreham Wood, Gateshead, Chesterfield and Bromley have all drawn with them. Pack it in Unsworth and get your side motivated to go out and beat these. The fans deserve it.

Love it

Come on let's do this :chubb:

Can anyone see any way we can win this game….we are not suddenly morphing into Barcelona after 20 odd games of pure shite!

Can you imagine the piss boil if we are 2 down in 10 minutes!! 

There is the potential for a repeat of the Cardiff fiasco!

Unsworth had better be prepared for some proper abuse!!!

5 minutes ago, oafc1955 said:

Can anyone see any way we can win this game….we are not suddenly morphing into Barcelona after 20 odd games of pure shite!

Yes. Truth is we should be beating them at home with the resources we have.

Both Coalville (FA cup away at Notts) and Dorking (home) put 3 past them when beating them. They are not some team of super humans - we just made them look that way in one of the worst Oldham Athletics performances ever last week. They are vulnerable when you go at them - that's what we need to do. We want some pride back and it's time for DU to show he has some balls and set out to actually attack and win.

11 minutes ago, oafc1955 said:

Can you imagine the piss boil if we are 2 down in 10 minutes!! 

There is the potential for a repeat of the Cardiff fiasco!

Unsworth had better be prepared for some proper abuse!!!

Or we could do like we did to Liverpool.

We’ll start well. 

They’ll score against the run of the play. 

We’ll show a bit of fight without creating much. 

Half time. 

We’ll create two good chances and miss both. 

They’ll score again. 

The match will Peter out and we’ll score when they have stepped off the gas. 

Unsy will come out say that exactly the type of performance he’s after and much better than Boxing Day. 

We’ll sit 2nd bottom with 24 games left. 

50 minutes ago, wiseowl said:

Yes. Truth is we should be beating them at home with the resources we have.

Both Coalville (FA cup away at Notts) and Dorking (home) put 3 past them when beating them. They are not some team of super humans - we just made them look that way in one of the worst Oldham Athletics performances ever last week. They are vulnerable when you go at them - that's what we need to do. We want some pride back and it's time for DU to show he has some balls and set out to actually attack and win.

We wouldn't be 6/1 if we should be beating them would we, ridiculous mindset.

54 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

Or we could do like we did to Liverpool.

We got in Liverpools faces from the off in that game. This team does the complete opposite it's stands off and let's teams dictate and get into their stride. Until we stop letting teams do this to us we will keep failing. We need more aggression I'm our play.

County will rock up expecting yet another piss-poor effort of weak willed resistance and complete lack of a game plan. Chances are, they will get that. As mentioned above, County are not some team of super-human footballers, they are beatable and vulnerable to attack, as Latics' goal proved. 

1 hour ago, deyres42 said:

We wouldn't be 6/1 if we should be beating them would we, ridiculous mindset.

Only one ridiculous mindset exists and that's the managers who was beat before stepping foot in Meadow Lane and set us up for damage limitation, regardless of odds it's 11v11 and dictated by fine margins, I doubt we've ever been 7/1 for a a League game at home to anyone in the past 20 years never mind in the 5th division.

12 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

Only one ridiculous mindset exists and that's the managers who was beat before stepping foot in Meadow Lane and set us up for damage limitation, regardless of odds it's 11v11 and dictated by fine margins, I doubt we've ever been 7/1 for a a League game at home to anyone in the past 20 years never mind in the 5th division.

Any outcome is possible regardless of how unlikely it may seem.

6 minutes ago, Frankly Mr Shankly said:

It'd be so Laticsy for us to win 2-0 or something. It's literally set up for it.

I'd normally totally agree with you, but I reckon under this guy it's impossible. He's instilled too much of a negative losing mentality into the players, they'll be beaten on Sunday before they take to the pitch.

Archived