MATCH: Ebbsfleet United (H) 25/11/23

3 minutes ago, Worcester Owl said:

You and Captain Doom & Gloom spectacularly miss the point. Had we lost 4-1 at home to an Ebbsfleet when we were in L1 or higher, you just might have a point. In case you haven’t noticed, we are in the same league as Ebbsfleet and it’s for a reason. There are some unbelievably hysterical posts on here (even by OWTB standards) following what is of course a bad result. They scored 3 in the last 10 minutes, we were chasing the game. Shouldn’t happen, but it does. MM learns a bit more about his squad and we move on.

Solihull, 4th in the table, were  thrashed 6-1 at Altrincham today - are they suddenly a bad team/relegation candidates? Of course not - it’s the nature of this league. Any team can beat any other and the overall standard is haphazard. Let’s all calm down, get a grip, and trust MM.

No I didn't miss the point at all.

Irrespective of what league we are now in, in nearly 50 years watching us through thick and thin, this result it way up there with the worst....fact.

Couldn't give a toss they scored 3 in the last 10 mins or that Solihull got dicked.

And I'm fully supportive of MM, and he will I believe get us out of this league given some time, but you can't ignore the RESULT today.

It's embarrassing end of.

Just more proof that if we have to break a team down, we are not capable. No urgency in any of our play today. No one looked like they wanted to or were capable of beating their man. No one looking to get the ball forward quickly. Ebbsfleet turned up knowing the perfect game plan to beat us. They did to us what we did to Barnet. Not good enough today

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Londonboy said:

4-1 loss at home to Ebbsfleet United....I'd love to hear of a worse result you can remember....

It's all relative to the league we are in, Ebbsfleet are in the same league as Latics, therefore, the playing field is level, is it not? It looks like only Chesterfield have the monopoly on consistent winning ways at the moment, bar the loss at Southend, who would be up there themselves if not for the points penalty and sanctions.

This league is rife with inconsistencies.
Mellon has the task of getting it right, so let's leave him to it.

• Like 1

My overwhelming emotion after today is one of sadness. Had we notched a victory - even a scruffy one and followed that up in the next 2 home games, we'd have been nicely poised AND KEPT THE ATTENDANCE ON PAR. I heard too many people saying today that they'd had enough of home games for a while - and that's a worry.

As poor a display as you'll see that today - utterly bewildering after Barnet. 

A lot of poor performances from individuals but midfield is still the glaring weakness. Honestly think we need 2 in there (and been saying it for a while, so not knee jerk). Not quite sure what Lundstram has brought to the party - plays the easy sideways or backward ball most of the time.

We also need Hobson's quality at the back - they ran through us with ease today.

• Like 2

Clutching at straws, and I wasn’t there today, but surely the quick turnaround after 2 long away trips has an impact on the tiredness being referred to? We should of course be winning games like this but the opposition had an extra day rest after 2 home games.

• Thanks 1

E

I

E

I

E

I

Oh no.........

We have a group mentally weak, that's indisputable after both the Fylde and today's shambles, some of these players cannot handle the pressure of playing in front of more than a couple of hundred fans and for a team playing under huge expectation.

Hudson, Freeman, Sheron, McGahey, Green and Gardner failed to turn up today which is inexcusable for me.

Every sub made us weaker, Willoughby particularly looks shot confidence wise, he isn't up to it and looks out of his depth. I'd be bringing one of those kids back whose out on loan because Willoughby offers nothing.

No urgency from the very first whistle, some absolutely piss poor passing backed up by schoolboy decision making, keeper slowing it down when we had overloads upfront then going quick and long when nothings on, basic stuff. 

Really piss poor performance in front of your own fans and not the send off Frank deserved really.

We need players because this season is going to turn in to a massive missed opportunity otherwise, really missed Hobson today the defence was all over the place and none of the centrehalfs  had the ability or the nouse to take the ball upfield in the the gaping spaces that Ebbsfleet left for us, it was sideways, backwards, sideways, backwards - HOOF.

It's not the getting beat that pisses me off, we are well used to that - it's a pub team wanting it more that pisses me off, if players can't at least have enough about them to want it more every week they can fuck off for me. 

Edited by yarddog73
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, Londonboy said:

No I didn't miss the point at all.

Irrespective of what league we are now in, in nearly 50 years watching us through thick and thin, this result it way up there with the worst....fact.

Couldn't give a toss they scored 3 in the last 10 mins or that Solihull got dicked.

And I'm fully supportive of MM, and he will I believe get us out of this league given some time, but you can't ignore the RESULT today.

It's embarrassing end of.

It’s a poor result. But it’s not “fact” that losing to a team 11 places below us in the same league is among the worst results in our history. Just because we were in the fa cup semi final 30 years ago doesn’t make any difference to where the club is these days. 

Edited by nzlatic
  • Like 4

16 minutes ago, wiseowl said:

My overwhelming emotion after today is one of sadness. Had we notched a victory - even a scruffy one and followed that up in the next 2 home games, we'd have been nicely poised AND KEPT THE ATTENDANCE ON PAR. I heard too many people saying today that they'd had enough of home games for a while - and that's a worry.

As poor a display as you'll see that today - utterly bewildering after Barnet. 

A lot of poor performances from individuals but midfield is still the glaring weakness. Honestly think we need 2 in there (and been saying it for a while, so not knee jerk). Not quite sure what Lundstram has brought to the party - plays the easy sideways or backward ball most of the time.

We also need Hobson's quality at the back - they ran through us with ease today.

Another performance like that and you’ll deffo be boycotting?

• Like 2

Our fucking football club eh!

I've not read any of the posts on the second half all that needs to be said is that last 10 was dogdoo of the highest order and it doesn't need anymore analysis than that.

I'm off out for meal and a few drinks I suggest the rest of you do something similar.

Edited by GlossopLatic
  • Like 2

It really does need to sink in that we are what we are, a very average non league team with a squad to match, with the notable exception of Norwood who is clearly being overpaid by ££££ for this level and for this inept group of players.

Unsworth and his mates should have left ten seconds after the final whistle last season and MM given the pre season and the apparently large budget to spend. 

Id love to ask him who in those circumstances he would have signed for this year out of this lot……I suspect his answer would be Norwood and maybe the young CB from Southend that we managed to pick up when they were going bust.

Other than that I think he would think this bunch are exactly the opposite of the type of player he wants….they are weak minded, under performing young men who seem to be happy to coast along because they have “made it” and are so called professional footballers….they are exactly the opposite of “professional” and whilst I enjoyed the Woking and Barnet games it’s pretty clear they were an aberration 

MM has his work cut out to unravel the mess we are in and it will take a couple of seasons given the contracts in place 

17 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

That's the worst result I've ever witnessed at home.

Fylde was the worst I've ever seen away and I've seen some shockers.

It was massively disappointing today.

Not at the Cardiff game then?  That was a lot worse than today.

• Like 4

22 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

E

I

E

I

E

I

Oh no.........

We have a group mentally weak, that's indisputable after both the Fylde and today's shambles, some of these players cannot handle the pressure of playing in front of more than a couple of hundred fans and for a team playing under huge expectation.

Hudson, Freeman, Sheron, McGahey, Green and Gardner failed to turn up today which is inexcusable for me.

Every sub made us weaker, Willoughby particularly looks shot confidence wise, he isn't up to it and looks out of his depth. I'd be bringing one of those kids back whose out on loan because Willoughby offers nothing.

No urgency from the very first whistle, some absolutely piss poor passing backed up by schoolboy decision making, keeper slowing it down when we had overloads upfront then going quick and long when nothings on, basic stuff. 

Really piss poor performance in front of your own fans and not the send off Frank deserved really.

We need players because this season is going to turn in to a massive missed opportunity otherwise, really missed Hobson today the defence was all over the place and none of the centrehalfs  had the ability or the nouse to take the ball upfield in the the gaping spaces that Ebbsfleet left for us, it was sideways, backwards, sideways, backwards - HOOF.

It's not the getting beat that pisses me off, we are well used to that - it's a pub team wanting it more that pisses me off, if players can't at least have enough about them to want it more every week they can fuck off for me. 

You forgot Lundstram who  didn't show any movement off the ball or creative ability.

• Like 1

I've read just about all the posts here, and can appreciate the points of view in what is clearly a very polarized argument. Nonetheless, it seems clear to me that after two convincing away wins that put the team into a position to challenge for at least a playoff place for the first time in a long while, it should have been obvious to the players that a ruthlessly efficient and clinical hatchet job was called for today against a limited and struggling opposition.

That's probably the sort of terms in which Mellon thinks about it, from what I've heard of him, but how many of these players do, if indeed they think about the situation at all? Not very many of them, one is forced to conclude. Can't see much alternative to a serious clear-out over the next few months, I'm afraid.

34 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

That's the worst result I've ever witnessed at home.

Fylde was the worst I've ever seen away and I've seen some shockers.

It was massively disappointing today.

Maybe we read way too much into the way we totally destroyed Barnet

I'm of the opinion that any team can beat anybody in one given day in this league 

Anyway, this stew's warming me up and time to mop up the gravy with the crusty loaf 😋

19 minutes ago, Ritchierich said:

It really does need to sink in that we are what we are, a very average non league team with a squad to match, with the notable exception of Norwood who is clearly being overpaid by ££££ for this level and for this inept group of players.

Norwood isn't immune from criticism.  The problem with him remains that he plays well when the team plays well.  On a bad day, he's as bad as any of them..

Hudson and Raglan the only 6/10s.  4 the maximum anyone else got.

Strange decision taking Fondop off just as he seemed to be making a bit of an impact in the game, but in Mellon we trust.

I wonder if there's an arrogance in the squad that they think they need to just turn up to beat the likes of Fylde and Ebbsfleet.  Poor form if so..

• Like 1

Obviously very disappointing today. We looked tired and, as Gardner was one of the ones who didn't turn up, short of ideas.

Green showed little urgency ( could be playing with an injury? ) more or less refusing to take his man on and Norwood and Fondop way off the pace so very little threat up front.

Maybe the two long away trips took more out of them than we thought but credit to Ebbsfleet who played very well, albeit without much opposition. 

Totally understand the logic of keeping an unchanged side after back-to-back wins, but if we find ourselves in a similar position again this season (the 3rd match in a week, ideally after back-to-back wins) I'd be resting the older players in our squad and getting the more energetic and younger players in.  Nothing wrong with having Gardner come on for the last 30 mins today with a player like Ward, Willoughby or Hope running the opposition ragged in the 1st 60.

I trust Mellon though, he's still feeling his way through things at the moment and will make small mistakes.  Despite being very patchy this season (even since Unsworth left) we are still within reach of the playoffs at the halfway point and I expect us to improve more with Mellon in charge than the majority of the league will.  One of the six playoff spots should certainly be attainable.

• Like 3