MATCH: Chesterfield (H) 16/03/24

6 minutes ago, True Tic said:

Chesterfield fans saying that was our cup final apparently. Talk about delusions of grandeur. Chesterfield … fair play to their points tally, no denying that but our cup final ?? Please… 😂

The way some Oldham fans are going on after a 2-2 draw, you'd think it was...

1 hour ago, AndyB2 said:

You’re nice 

Who do you think AndyB2 is? Surely he is a renaming of someone who has been on before. Someone who talks/posts so much would not just have 157 posts. 

Any ideas?

16 minutes ago, Pidge said:

Who do you think AndyB2 is? Surely he is a renaming of someone who has been on before. Someone who talks/posts so much would not just have 157 posts. 

Any ideas?

Does it matter, we all started at some point. 

4 minutes ago, nzlatic said:

I’ve been critical of Kitching recently but I thought he had a really good game today. 

Agreed, Mellon alluded to it his presser and said they wanted him on the ball more and overlapping - so they played Gardner on his side to help get him forward more. 

11 minutes ago, League one forever said:

Agreed, Mellon alluded to it his presser and said they wanted him on the ball more and overlapping - so they played Gardner on his side to help get him forward more. 

Gardner has played a couple games out wide, today and Barnet away and played well in both games. 

He’s not a traditional winger, but he can pass a ball at least. 

2 minutes ago, LightDN123 said:

Gardner has played a couple games out wide, today and Barnet away and played well in both games. 

He’s not a traditional winger, but he can pass a ball at least. 

Yeah, good shout. 

If he could stay fit, I’d play him a lot more but he can only do an hour every now and then. 

26 minutes ago, nzlatic said:

I’ve been critical of Kitching recently but I thought he had a really good game today. 

We were discussing this in the ground, I don’t think he’s a wing back. His best games have been as a left back with someone in front of him. 

• Like 4

The biggest factor for me today was the conscious effort to play it about, pass and move and being brave enough to show for the ball, then having heart to try to do something with it. It really is what the fans want to see and players won't get crucified for trying this, it felt like we were all in it together for the first time at home in a long time.

• Like 8

20 minutes ago, League one forever said:

1 minute ago, BradKnowles1 said:

We were discussing this in the ground, I don’t think he’s a wing back. His best games have been as a left back with someone in front of him. 

Yeah what Mellon said made sense. If he’s going to play wing back then either a forward or midfielder needs to overlap occasionally. That hasn’t been happening recently. I think Hammond might have done it a bit at Eastleigh but not 100% on that. If he’s left by himself out there he’s ineffective. So Gardner playing in either a 4 or 5 on that side should really help him out. 

2 hours ago, GlossopLatic said:

Reluctant to say that games are must win as they haven't been so far this season but with 7 games to go I think we are in that territory now. We sit on 59 points 5 wins and a draw allowing for 1 defeat gets us to 75 points that will be enough to get in the play offs. The 2 local aways at Altrincham on Easter Monday and Halifax (whenever that is) look really crucial as they both the teams around us.

The Run in

Dagenham A - Won't be easy but winnable we've got to go there and get 3 points a scruffy 1-0 will do

Fylde H - Need to put these away get a good win that should ferment us in the play offs.

Altrincham A - the toughest of the final games Mustn't lose a repeat of earlier this season will be enough.

Halifax TBA - another tough one again Mustn't lose but hopefully with a big away following we can get something. They have had the Indian sign over us in our 2 years in the NL with 3 loses to them on what will be a tough pitch I'd take a point if offered.

Rochdale H - Their season will be over but that may allow them to play with freedom a local Derby and a decent crowd could see them stick their chest out still we've got to out them away and get the win.

Oxford City A- Will be relegated by this point but again with nothing to lose they might play with a new found freedom still we will need to out them away and get 3 points.

Wealdstone H - If we pull out the results that I say we can above (4 wins 2 draws) we will probably have top 7 all but sewn up or atleast in our hands They will hopefully be safe by then and be bringing there flip-flops. If its in our hands going into this game and we fuck it up we don't deserve top 7. We could of course be going into this with a chance of 4th or 5th if we are I hope we take advantage. Either way get them put away.

Absolutely no reason why we can't get the results required to get top 7 certainly if we play like we did today against what will be lesser opponents.

Disagree about Rochdale. They will be hard to beat. They're on a role and punching way above their weight. Also they too might be in with a shout of a play off place if they beat us. We need to perform like today and cement our place ASAP.  No excuses now.

3 hours ago, AndyB2 said:

Go on then. Who?

3 hours ago, Monty Burns said:

just so you can disagree? nah l'll jus laugh at you ya whopper

3 hours ago, AndyB2 said:

One of mellons signings started today. A player who has underwhelmed so far. He played well today. 4 players started from before frank even bought the club. 

they my friend are facts. 

this notion that there is unsworths players and then mellons players, and the latter are making a difference, simply isn’t supported by facts. 

mellon needs to be given the chance to create his team. But generally speaking, what he has recruited to date isn’t making a material difference to the quality of our team.

brilliant.

roll up roll up somethem shitarguing with themselves

Lundstram Man of the Match for me.  9/10 performance.  A different player.

We were the better team and deserved to win.  Created more chances and didn't do a lot wrong.

1 hour ago, Pidge said:

Any ideas?

I don't have an issue with people having more than one username, it's when they start talking to themselves that worries me. I didn't watch the game today as I am in the middle of a health issue and a family loss but from what I have read and the gaffer's post-match interview, it sounds like the lads gave a good performance.

I called a 2-2 draw earlier on this thread, shame Dallas couldn't convert his chance but that's football for you. Anyone know the attendance by any chance?

Referees at this level are generally incompetent, what narks me the most is how it's always got to be about them, that ref today universally pissed everybody off in the stadium today, he allowed rugby tackles as the norm today yet booked Garner within seconds of coming on for the most innocuous challenge you'll ever see, compare it to Grimes rugby tackle on Dallas who looked clean through first half yet the ref didn't have so much as a word in his ear. Norwood was eased off the ball all afternoon with a sly push but when he returned the favour the ref immediately blew up, blatant fucking cheating that in my opinion and the game was too big for him. Finally Cook (who I don't have a problem with by the way) has gone at the officials all day long with no punishment yet Mellon does near on the same for a booking, absolute cunt. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, yarddog73 said:

Referees at this level are generally incompetent, what narks me the most is how it's always got to be about them, that ref today universally pissed everybody off in the stadium today, he allowed rugby tackles as the norm today yet booked Garner within seconds of coming on for the most innocuous challenge you'll ever see, compare it to Grimes rugby tackle on Dallas who looked clean through first half yet the ref didn't have so much as a word in his ear. Norwood was eased off the ball all afternoon with a sly push but when he returned the favour the ref immediately blew up, blatant fucking cheating that in my opinion and the game was too big for him. Finally Cook (who I don't have a problem with by the way) has gone at the officials all day long with no punishment yet Mellon does near on the same for a booking, absolute cunt. 

'cheating'. Really?

14 hours ago, LightDN123 said:

He’s got great energy and work rate, wins the ball fantastically at times. Usually followed by a pass to the opposition undoing his great work. 

He’s a great sub for next season, has to start this season. 

Sounds like Ousmane Fane, except he’s not a patch on Fane