New Manager Thread [Mergomatic Active]

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe.

We shall see, but I don't anticipate O'Driscoll being here beyond December, or the first influx of sackings happen - 'coaching staff' sounds too vague to me, for a man with his pedigree.

Pretty much exactly what it says about Shirtliff. You and a few others would be negative about anything. Must be a miserable existence you lead when you can't see any good in anything Edited by mcfluff1985

Pretty much exactly what it says about Shirtliff. You and a few others would be negative about anything. Must be a miserable existence you lead when you can't see any good in anything

Okay pal.

Have a good night in tonight.

Andy Keogh was one of Lee Turnbull's discoveries, he's in Australia now, not sure when their season finishes, but he would be fit and ready to go if signed.

Edited by BP1960

Whilst it is good news and some good names, without a manager in post it will be more difficult to attract players.

We heard a lot about LJ and Shez "selling the club and their vision" being attractive - and given our wages are not likely to be its a bigger factor than some might expect.

Need the top job filled soon.

If this is the long term new framework and we get the right head coach/manager then I'd be happy.

They'd presumably work as a team to identify and recruit. Which is why I don't see how we can sign any players until the manager is in. Which doesn't sound particularly close.

All very strange.

Still, I'm sure Latics player will have their interviews up soon explaining all.

It's good to see the backroom staff being appointed, experienced ones too. It just seems strange that there is no manager in place yet. Usually you'd expect a manager to be appointed and then to subsequently appoint his own team. We seem to be doing it the opposite way round. Unless someone is waiting in the wings and we're just waiting for a few things to be ironed out.

Edited by johnafoafc

According to a pal of mine, John Pemberton the assisstant manager at Bristol City was interviewed last week, he is from Oldham and has workid with SOD at Bristol City.

My mates wife works with Pembertons brother in Chadderton.

According to a pal of mine, John Pemberton the assisstant manager at Bristol City was interviewed last week, he is from Oldham and has workid with SOD at Bristol City.

My mates wife works with Pembertons brother in Chadderton.

I remember him playing for Chadderton FC, why Latics didn't sign him I'll never know.

Edited by BP1960

I have always felt that each member of the coaching staff should be appointed on merit and not simply picked by the manager so I should welcome the announcement that we are keeping Shirtliff and taking on O'Driscoll. Having the services of a decent scout can't be bad.

However I would have thought you would employ your manager first and let him help the Chairman and board, or whoever, to interview the 'support' backroom staff. It is rather strange for someone in the coaching team to help with the appointment of his future boss.

It could suggest a longer term view so that as managers move on, like they do, we retain continuity. Interesting times and at least we do have backroom staff who could take charge for the Huddersfield game and start to assemble a squad.

Moving things on in this way does suggest that we are more likely to take on an inexperienced manager but will already have the support in place. The likes of Kelly and Dunn would probably have had a better chance working in this format. A bit like Barnsley who happily let Johnson move on because their structure allowed them to shoe in a new manager with little disruption.

If we have a DoF, then the manager has to work for him and should be his choice, otherwise there's no point having a DoF. The DoF has all too often been a wishy washy position. The DoF should be responsible for all football related issues.

If this is the long term new framework and we get the right head coach/manager then I'd be happy.

They'd presumably work as a team to identify and recruit. Which is why I don't see how we can sign any players until the manager is in. Which doesn't sound particularly close.

All very strange.

Still, I'm sure Latics player will have their interviews up soon explaining all.

If we have a DoF, then the manager has to work for him and should be his choice, otherwise there's no point having a DoF. The DoF has all too often been a wishy washy position. The DoF should be responsible for all football related issues.

The O Driscoll appointment does not look long term, he's just listed as a coach,and not DoF.

Half an inkling SOD will be gone within weeks of Manager being appointed.

If Tunbull and O'Driscoll are still here in January I'll be very surprised, a temporary arrangement at best.

To me that statement was solely put out to keep the fans happy. No titles, no contract details and still no manager.

The O Driscoll appointment does not look long term, he's just listed as a coach,and not DoF.

Half an inkling SOD will be gone within weeks of Manager being appointed.

Really hope you're wrong and a modern, forward thinking long term strategy is in place.

You're probably bang on though.