Ex players and that

In some ways we don’t come out of that article well. We signed him and after it became clear he had issues we released him, by mutual consent. Salford, however, offered him support.

I’d be worried about our procedure for medicals too, as it wouldn’t be unreasonable for his drug and alcohol use to come up as part of his medical.

Having said that I think it is better for all concerned that we let George go, wish him the best going forwards.

21 minutes ago, Stevie_J said:

Not sure about that.  I suspect he was approached by the BBC, as they could see a nice sideline story to the early rounds of the FA Cup with a link to a Premier League club.  They love that shi...

in journalism, a story of human interest  is a feature story that discusses a person, or people, or a pet in an emotional way. It presents people and their problems, concerns, or achievements in a way that brings about interest, sympathy or motivation in the reader or viewer.

6 hours ago, disjointed said:

Just read the article about George Green on the BBC website, good luck to the lad he has a long way to go but at least he has opened up about his troubles.

I would post the link on here if I had the wherewithal. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/45476430

It's quite sad but nothing you've not read before. Young kid-done-well gets giddy at going from £200 per week to £2,000 per week and goes off the rails faster than Topoff getting ejected from a ground. Hopefully he's learnt his lesson and has a steady career, albeit at a much lower level than he would most likely have had before he started racking lines up left, right and centre.

Wasn't sure whether this belonged in here or in the JB thread but as no doubt someone will have said "He's gone, leave it" or words to that effect thought here was marginally more appropriate. 

https://www.heraldscotland.com/sport/16897089.kilmarnocks-jack-byrne-stays-cool-over-oldham-criticism/ 

41 minutes ago, rudemedic said:

Wasn't sure whether this belonged in here or in the JB thread but as no doubt someone will have said "He's gone, leave it" or words to that effect thought here was marginally more appropriate. 

https://www.heraldscotland.com/sport/16897089.kilmarnocks-jack-byrne-stays-cool-over-oldham-criticism/ 

He's gone, :clown: didn't want to honour his contract. 

25 minutes ago, archiecat said:

He's gone, :clown: didn't want to honour his contract. 

“I needed to go as well to further my career. That was all it was; there wasn’t anything else to it. But it probably could have been handled a little bit better. It is what it is; that’s football.”

A bit of honesty from Jack at last.  

22 minutes ago, Inspiral_Carpet said:

“I needed to go as well to further my career. That was all it was; there wasn’t anything else to it. But it probably could have been handled a little bit better. It is what it is; that’s football.”

Unused sub. 

58 minutes ago, Inspiral_Carpet said:

Twist it whichever way you want Lemsagam did not want to pay him,the :clown: still owns OAFC

1 minute ago, Dave_Og said:

It has been a little while since any Charlie Carolli like characteristics have been exhibited at all.  Benefit of doubt perhaps?

I haven't seen anything to change my initial opinion,a couple of cheap gestures like the Joe and Jimmy signs may appease some but i am very wary of this fella.

1 minute ago, archiecat said:

I haven't seen anything to change my initial opinion,a couple of cheap gestures like the Joe and Jimmy signs may appease some but i am very wary of this fella.

No mad signings, no apparent interference in team matters, cut in pay on the day and advance ticket prices...

2 minutes ago, Dave_Og said:

No mad signings, no apparent interference in team matters, cut in pay on the day and advance ticket prices...

No money,Alledgedly no influence on team matters but can a Leopard change his spots?,poorer quality product should realistically be cheaper. 

Just now, archiecat said:

Alledgedly no influence on team matters but can a Leopard change his spots?

Hence benefit of the doubt.  No-one has said he is the second coming.  We are 6th in the league; maintain doubts but enjoy it for now - after all, I don't imagine there is a queue of people to step in.

2 minutes ago, Inspiral_Carpet said:

That’s a direct quote from Byrne himself.

Just what am I twisting?

I read it as Oldham wanted my wage off the books but i am here now and needed a move to further my career.

Plus i don't see where he has previously been dishonest.

Just now, Dave_Og said:

Hence benefit of the doubt.  No-one has said he is the second coming.  We are 6th in the league; maintain doubts but enjoy it for now - after all, I don't imagine there is a queue of people to step in.

I have no problem with on field matters :chubb:

2 hours ago, Inspiral_Carpet said:

I find  this hard to believe. Jack Byrne using a semicolon?

“I can’t really say anything on the matter. The club don’t want me to. But my conscience is clear, 100 per cent,” he said. “I think most people [down there] know what went on. They got relegated, I was probably one of the higher earners and they needed me to go.”

“They criticised me but that’s people trying to force your hand to do something you don’t maybe want to do at the time.”