Ex players and that

5 hours ago, Bristolatic said:

And a yellow card for Gerrard. In other news, Sean Gregan and Martin Gray sacked by York City after 5 games.

Obviously don’t know how they’ve played, but they’re in 8th position, won 2 , drawn 1, lost 2, and beat Stockport, whose only defeat that was 

57 minutes ago, stevesidg said:

Obviously don’t know how they’ve played, but they’re in 8th position, won 2 , drawn 1, lost 2, and beat Stockport, whose only defeat that was 

Lots of unhappiness with Gray after poor second half of last season and indifferent start this year. Fans see lack of commitment by players and poor motivation. 

Not helped by Harrogate Town having leapfrogged them!

38 minutes ago, LaticsPete said:

Lots of unhappiness with Gray after poor second half of last season and indifferent start this year. Fans see lack of commitment by players and poor motivation. 

Not helped by Harrogate Town having leapfrogged them!

Harrogate throwing plenty of money around and a team on the up, watched them a couple of times last season, nice club and play some decent football. 

• Like 1

Great footballer. His class shone through the few times he played for us. Can remember one match we were winning fairly easily and he dribbled round a couple of defenders, was about to do the same to the goalie in front of the Chaddy and the ref blew for time !

Was instrumental in the change to "electric orange" and an influx of Northern Irish youngsters, some of whom were better than others. Ronnie Blair, Allen Hunter, Derek Spence and one who I believe would have been really good barring a badly broken leg Billy Johnston. Can remember watching him limping through reserve matches during his failed comeback bid thinking I'd been cheated out of watching a potentially great player. His and Bates' arrival kick-started my real love of Latics and led to watching us play some great attacking football, winning the Ford Sporting League and eventually gaining promotion.       

RIP but have to say I don’t regard him as one of Latics’ greatest managers. Had significant financial backing from Ken Bates and didn’t really deliver. Did bring some talented Irish players over - Allan Hunter and Ronnie Blair as notable examples .

When he left we had begun to struggle and it wasn’t until Frizz took over that we bounced back from relegation .

He had been a very good top division player and that must be his legacy.

1 hour ago, Bobledgersheart said:

Great footballer. His class shone through the few times he played for us. Can remember one match we were winning fairly easily and he dribbled round a couple of defenders, was about to do the same to the goalie in front of the Chaddy and the ref blew for time !

Was instrumental in the change to "electric orange" and an influx of Northern Irish youngsters, some of whom were better than others. Ronnie Blair, Allen Hunter, Derek Spence and one who I believe would have been really good barring a badly broken leg Billy Johnston. Can remember watching him limping through reserve matches during his failed comeback bid thinking I'd been cheated out of watching a potentially great player. His and Bates' arrival kick-started my real love of Latics and led to watching us play some great attacking football, winning the Ford Sporting League and eventually gaining promotion.       

6 minutes ago, drw1909 said:

If memory serves me it was a League Cup tie at Middlesbrough where Billy Johnston broke his ankle after a tackle from the Boro' defender Dickie Rooks.

Yes I think that was how it happened. Don't think Johnston was a kid, more mid-twenties, and a schoolteacher if my memory serves me well.

It was sad to see him vainly trying to resurrect his career. A time when footballers just wanted to play not be seen as demigods to be revered for "kicking a bag of wind !"