Ex players and that

I never understood how the ROC was allowed to participate in the Olympics, If you are Russian and banned, what does it matter if you are seen as clean? Surely a ban is a ban. 

Whilst I don't really trust any high performing Olympic team, Russia is a govt sponsored doping project who have no respect for true competition,

On 2/28/2022 at 3:30 PM, Dave_Og said:

i suppose north west football fans are blessed with having so many genuine local derbies.  The rest of the country has to take them where they can

On 2/28/2022 at 3:17 PM, Magic Mikey said:

Oldham v Rochdale - local derby 

Oldham v Preston - Lancashire derby 

Ipswich v Norwich - East Anglia derby

Bradford v Mansfield - not a derby 

Preston? Lancashire? Preston was never a derby (Bolton, then City, now Rochdale...), and we've been in Greater Manchester for nearly 50 years (stands back and waits for the abuse from little Lancastrians who still live in pre-industrial times). 

3 minutes ago, bigfatjoe1 said:

Preston? Lancashire? Preston was never a derby (Bolton, then City, now Rochdale...), and we've been in Greater Manchester for nearly 50 years (stands back and waits for the abuse from little Lancastrians who still live in pre-industrial times). 

Thought Blackburn were our major enemy for many years?

I live 10 minutes from Ewood and can’t bring myself to view a game when we are away for that reason 

45 minutes ago, bigfatjoe1 said:

The day I stop putting Lancashire as my address is the day I stop looking for Latic's results !  🦕

• Like 3

52 minutes ago, Chaddyexile84 said:

I live 10 minutes from Ewood and can’t bring myself to view a game when we are away for that reason 

Agree with this particularly in the late 70's early 80's.

However Hudderfield is actually closer to Oldham than Blackburn is.....so is this a derby?

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, bigfatjoe1 said:

‘little Lancastrians who still live in pre-industrial times’?  What was that you said about ‘abuse’?

I prefer the more romantic notion.

For me the question is how long has Lancashire been in existence compared to ‘Greater Manchester’?

The history of Lancashire begins with its founding in the 12th century.

Greater Manchester was created on 1 April 1974.

Oldham Athletic was created in 1899 when Pine Villa (founded in 1895) changed it’s name. It was part of Lancashire for a lot longer than it has been part of Greater Manchester - and for many of us (myself included) the Lancashire association remains.

2 hours ago, bigfatjoe1 said:

Somebody better tell Lancashire County Cricket Club that they need to move home. 

5 minutes ago, Magic Mikey said:

Somebody better tell Lancashire County Cricket Club that they need to move home. 

Or they could change their name to:

Greater Manchester Metropolitan County & Combined Authority Area Cricket Club.

Got a nice ring to it don’t you think? 🙄

2 minutes ago, TheBigDog said:

Or they could change their name to:

Greater Manchester Metropolitan County & Combined Authority Area Cricket Club.

Got a nice ring to it don’t you think? 🙄

Greater Manchester, Merseyside, and a bit of Cumberland Area Cricket Club for when Lancs play at Aigburth, Southport and Sedbergh.

2 hours ago, TheBigDog said:

‘little Lancastrians who still live in pre-industrial times’?  What was that you said about ‘abuse’?

I prefer the more romantic notion.

For me the question is how long has Lancashire been in existence compared to ‘Greater Manchester’?

The history of Lancashire begins with its founding in the 12th century.

Greater Manchester was created on 1 April 1974.

Oldham Athletic was created in 1899 when Pine Villa (founded in 1895) changed it’s name. It was part of Lancashire for a lot longer than it has been part of Greater Manchester - and for many of us (myself included) the Lancashire association remains.

Is Boundary Park actually half In Oldham half in Royton as the name seems to suggest?

4 hours ago, Chaddyexile84 said:

Agreed!

My uncle and auntie (RIP both) lived up the hill from Ewood Park in Feniscowles and I used to hate just going past the ground to visit them!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Londonboy said:

Agree with this particularly in the late 70's early 80's.

However Hudderfield is actually closer to Oldham than Blackburn is.....so is this a derby?

Definitely for me. That was our main derby from the mid-noughties until they went up.

Edited by Ryan
  • Like 1

On 2/28/2022 at 5:38 AM, Bobledgersheart said:

Great effort from Carlisle ( new manager effect ? ) some local derbies, Salford, never going to take off is it !! 

As long as they get fans at home. It works as a business.

It is a good set up they have and basically they attract United and a few city fans each home game who just want to watch some football.

Obviously they are paying well over the odds for player wages but if they can get decent home attendances they won't be too bothered about away. 

3 hours ago, Roger Ritchie said:

As long as they get fans at home. It works as a business.

It is a good set up they have and basically they attract United and a few city fans each home game who just want to watch some football.

Obviously they are paying well over the odds for player wages but if they can get decent home attendances they won't be too bothered about away. 

But they don't get decent home crowds. I'm guessing they average under 2000 which means the owners are massively subsidising the wage-bill.

• 2 weeks later...
7 hours ago, UsedtobeWozzer said:

RIP - ripped us a new one on the day the old Ford Stand opened - 0-6 against Villa he got a hat trick I think. Was a crucial part of our 73/4 3rd division title winning team. 

Many happy memories of his heading ability in that season, led the line well and linked up well with George McVitie