MATCH: v Newport (A) 19/12/20

45 minutes ago, al_bro said:

The player on loan from Swindon, Twine ,runs the show for them. He's on a season long loan, but their manager admits that they are in talks with Swindon to try and keep him past January. I don't think they will and that will probably scupper their chances of an automatic promotion

He was a real surprise - he hasn't really broken through at Swindon and has spent most of his time pottering around non-league, but if he performs like that regularly then he'll do well.

Shez should be a big fan given his playing style, and should be able to bring him on.

• Replies 295
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Can’t be arsed trawling through this thread to see if this has been highlighted but WTF are these Newport manager comments all about.......

"I'm not wondering how we lost that, we gave Oldham the three points. Every single one of their goals were awful and could have been prevented”.

46 minutes ago, oafc1955 said:

Can’t be arsed trawling through this thread to see if this has been highlighted but WTF are these Newport manager comments all about.......

"I'm not wondering how we lost that, we gave Oldham the three points. Every single one of their goals were awful and could have been prevented”.

Isn't that just what we say about every goal we concede?

14 hours ago, oafc1955 said:

That quote is bollocks. Poor loser. "every single one of our goals was awful and preventable"... all goals are 'preventable'.  We are a good side going forward at this level, its that simple. 

2 minutes ago, kowenicki said:

That quote is bollocks. Poor loser. "every single one of our goals was awful and preventable"... all goals are 'preventable'.  We are a good side going forward at this level, its that simple. 

Don't think the keeper will look at his effort on McAleney's goal very fondly.  Not our problem though!

7 minutes ago, kowenicki said:

Exactly, they made mistakes because they were coming under intense pressure from a good attacking side. 

12 minutes ago, LightDN123 said:

Scored 50 goals already. How does that rank historically stato’s 

Not looked at all seasons, but it's pretty good.

50 from 27 games (all comps) pre-xmas - beaten by the promotion season 90/91 where we had 52 goals after 24 games.

Recently in 17/18 we had 47 from 29 pre-xmas, and 18/19 46 from 30 pre-xmas.

26 minutes ago, RobinsDuckEgg said:

Or for their first for that matter. Nor Garrity who seemed to duck under the ball. 

I can't attach any blame to Lawlor for their first. It was a cracking strike and was pretty much unstoppable. As for their second, yes he could have done better, but I'll make some defence for him. 

It was hit from quite close range and, if a keeper is about to face a shot, he'll plant his feet apart, not together, otherwise he can't get the purchase to dive one way or the other. So, a shot that comes from close to you and is straight at the space between your feet is not as easy to stop as you may think. However, I still think he could have done better if he'd reacted quicker.

At least that's the view of a former member of the Goalkeeper's Union. I thank you.

10 minutes ago, Bristolatic said:

I can't attach any blame to Lawlor for their first. It was a cracking strike and was pretty much unstoppable. As for their second, yes he could have done better, but I'll make some defence for him. 

It was hit from quite close range and, if a keeper is about to face a shot, he'll plant his feet apart, not together, otherwise he can't get the purchase to dive one way or the other. So, a shot that comes from close to you and is straight at the space between your feet is not as easy to stop as you may think. However, I still think he could have done better if he'd reacted quicker.

At least that's the view of a former member of the Goalkeeper's Union. I thank you.

Yes it was a cracking strike and I'm perhaps being hard on him, but he seemed to see it very late, perhaps because he didn't have a clear view - garrity in the way? and flapped  at it after it had passed him. View from behind the goal would have been useful to clear that up. I put no blame on him for the second.

1 minute ago, al_bro said:

Lawlor may or maybe not at fault for the second, but he certainly made up for it by saving the penalty. Had that gone in I don't think we would have recovered again.

According  to their manager it was a bad penalty . The guy interviewing Flynn said he "struck it well" . Flynn no he didn't. Personally thought it was a good save. Flynn gave us no credit at all. 

25 minutes ago, penrhyn said:

According  to their manager it was a bad penalty . The guy interviewing Flynn said he "struck it well" . Flynn no he didn't. Personally thought it was a good save. Flynn gave us no credit at all. 

He was also pissed off because the designated penalty taker, had given the ball to the player who had just come on to take it.

24 minutes ago, al_bro said:

He was also pissed off because the designated penalty taker, had given the ball to the player who had just come on to take it.

Just sour grapes.  Most managers will say they lost because of a defensive mistake or poor finishing.  We scored more than they did on the day so we won...simples.

On 12/19/2020 at 9:51 PM, Bristolatic said:

Lawlor worries me at times. His shot stopping can be superb, but his reluctance to come and claim crosses instead of punching is adding pressure on the defence. He's probably not the tallest, but I think he needs a bit of Pogliacomi-esque in his decisions. Get out for the crosses in the six yard box; it's your area and needs dominating. Take the ball and everything that's in your way. Can't grumble at his third penalty save of the season, though.

Totally agree about Lawlor.  He's not convincing but in fairness, he's not done much wrong this season and he's kept us in quite a few games already.  Also that's two penalty saves now when the game has been level which we've gone on to win.  Those six extra points could prove crucial. 

Archived