MATCH: v Newport (A) 19/12/20

• Replies 295
  • Created
  • Last Reply
26 minutes ago, Bristolatic said:

I rarely post a full report but, that game deserves some recognition. Well, that was a tenner well spent. We are such an enigma as a team; can't produce the goods at home, but love playing away. We are far from the finished article and recruitment in January is essential.

Lawlor worries me at times. His shot stopping can be superb, but his reluctance to come and claim crosses instead of punching is adding pressure on the defence. He's probably not the tallest, but I think he needs a bit of Pogliacomi-esque in his decisions. Get out for the crosses in the six yard box; it's your area and needs dominating. Take the ball and everything that's in your way. Can't grumble at his third penalty save of the season, though.

Jombati is so much better at RB, prone to mistakes and sometimes hits hopeful long balls without any real target, but he's solid enough. Clarke and Pidge are OK as a CB pairing, even though Pidge does have a tendency to just launch it when a shorter, easier pass is on. I didn't think CBJ was that bad in the first half, although not exceptional, but Barnett did well when he came on. He's a bit raw, but a decent prospect.

We all agree that the midfield is weak and I felt McCalmont should have started. How does Garrity start every week? He simply isn't League 2 class and so many of his passes are just aimless and put us under pressure again. He had a few good bursts forward, but he's not a regular starter in my eyes.

Ntambwe's OK, makes some mistakes, but generally pretty sound as he breaks up play. As for DKD, I can't work him out. From looking like an absolute donkey, he suddenly sparks into life. His goal was so well taken; I didn't believe he could get a shot on target when he first got the ball. He then slips back into donkey mode, can't find a man 5 yards away, before bursting into life and ended up having an excellent game.

Not much more can be said about Bahamboula; I love the guy. He's got so much confidence in his own ability that he's always prepared to take men on even when he's hemmed in. How many assists is that, now? I felt sorry for McAleny being taken off. He worked really hard and his goal was a belter. But playing one up front in Grant, means he can't play as an out and out striker. Maybe it was that frustration that caused him to have a shot that went over the bar when others were better placed. Grant is not a lone striker. He sometimes traps a ball further than I can kick it, but he sure is nuisance value.

McCalmont and Dearnley both had fine games when they came on, even though I thought HK may have left the changes too late. Cracking finishes from them and Dearnley so unlucky not have scored again.

With Danny Rowe back fit, once he and Dearnley/McAleny can start as a pair with the other and Bambam supplying the ammunition, we're a dangerous side. We just need that better class midfielder who can put his foot on the ball and cut defences open more often, sort out the ball watching in defence and we're not far off

Final word goes to Bobby Madley. For an ex-Premier League ref, he was poor. I'll never believe that their penalty was the right decision and there were two occasions where we could, or should, have had one. Some decisions were simply baffling and where the hell did he get 6 minutes from?

Bobby Madley has only ever been interested in one thing and that's Bobby Madley . Nasty piece of work.  Sorry but I have an agenda with him!

1 hour ago, Bristolatic said:

I rarely post a full report but, that game deserves some recognition. Well, that was a tenner well spent. We are such an enigma as a team; can't produce the goods at home, but love playing away. We are far from the finished article and recruitment in January is essential.

Lawlor worries me at times. His shot stopping can be superb, but his reluctance to come and claim crosses instead of punching is adding pressure on the defence. He's probably not the tallest, but I think he needs a bit of Pogliacomi-esque in his decisions. Get out for the crosses in the six yard box; it's your area and needs dominating. Take the ball and everything that's in your way. Can't grumble at his third penalty save of the season, though.

Jombati is so much better at RB, prone to mistakes and sometimes hits hopeful long balls without any real target, but he's solid enough. Clarke and Pidge are OK as a CB pairing, even though Pidge does have a tendency to just launch it when a shorter, easier pass is on. I didn't think CBJ was that bad in the first half, although not exceptional, but Barnett did well when he came on. He's a bit raw, but a decent prospect.

We all agree that the midfield is weak and I felt McCalmont should have started. How does Garrity start every week? He simply isn't League 2 class and so many of his passes are just aimless and put us under pressure again. He had a few good bursts forward, but he's not a regular starter in my eyes.

Ntambwe's OK, makes some mistakes, but generally pretty sound as he breaks up play. As for DKD, I can't work him out. From looking like an absolute donkey, he suddenly sparks into life. His goal was so well taken; I didn't believe he could get a shot on target when he first got the ball. He then slips back into donkey mode, can't find a man 5 yards away, before bursting into life and ended up having an excellent game.

Not much more can be said about Bahamboula; I love the guy. He's got so much confidence in his own ability that he's always prepared to take men on even when he's hemmed in. How many assists is that, now? I felt sorry for McAleny being taken off. He worked really hard and his goal was a belter. But playing one up front in Grant, means he can't play as an out and out striker. Maybe it was that frustration that caused him to have a shot that went over the bar when others were better placed. Grant is not a lone striker. He sometimes traps a ball further than I can kick it, but he sure is nuisance value.

McCalmont and Dearnley both had fine games when they came on, even though I thought HK may have left the changes too late. Cracking finishes from them and Dearnley so unlucky not have scored again.

With Danny Rowe back fit, once he and Dearnley/McAleny can start as a pair with the other and Bambam supplying the ammunition, we're a dangerous side. We just need that better class midfielder who can put his foot on the ball and cut defences open more often, sort out the ball watching in defence and we're not far off

Final word goes to Bobby Madley. For an ex-Premier League ref, he was poor. I'll never believe that their penalty was the right decision and there were two occasions where we could, or should, have had one. Some decisions were simply baffling and where the hell did he get 6 minutes from?

At least four minutes for goal celebrations & substitutions. Did either physio come on? 

4 hours ago, PlayItLivo said:

Couple of takeaways from that:

Did someone say "Piergianni - shit" after the second goal?

The McAlmont finish is technically superb. That lad has got proper talent and I hope we continue to bring the best out of him

Dearnley is a 20 goal a season striker in the making. His goal is an unbelievable finish,but the way he held the centre half off to get his shot off when he hit the cross bar as well was absolutely superb. 

What a day 😎

Oh and also that penalty decision is an absolute disgrace 

9 hours ago, astottie said:

Bobby Madley has only ever been interested in one thing and that's Bobby Madley . Nasty piece of work.  Sorry but I have an agenda with him!

He shouldn't be allowed to ref again after his comments. I appreciate it would cause an issue with you, and you are spot on. 

11 hours ago, Bristolatic said:

Pogs was terrible at balls in the box when he arrived. He did get alot better 

43 minutes ago, redlion said:

According to the Newport manager, they gifted us all our goals and his players where constantly being fouled. Poor little mites. I should add that he said that without laughing.

Good! that's exactly what we want to hear they won't do that if they win.

I want to hear opposition managers making excuses for why they have been beaten against us every saturday evening and every Tuesday evening.

Is Kewell a bit of a wiz at substitutions and game changing? He certainly seems to be a manager that isn’t afraid to altering both individuals and formation when necessary. Probably one of the best we’ve had at this and someone who has got to grips with the revised substitution regulations 

14 minutes ago, LaticsPete said:

Is Kewell a bit of a wiz at substitutions and game changing? He certainly seems to be a manager that isn’t afraid to altering both individuals and formation when necessary. Probably one of the best we’ve had at this and someone who has got to grips with the revised substitution regulations 

I’d say no Pete, otherwise he would know how to change more games at home. 

19 minutes ago, League one forever said:

I’d say no Pete, otherwise he would know how to change more games at home. 

Take your point but even in some of those games we have come back even if not victorious- and I hasten to say that he’s not going to be successful every time. Just that he seems to have more nous

The reason Newport are top and we are where we are, is their ability to pass to their own players. Sort that out and we would walk away with this league. The player on loan from Swindon, Twine ,runs the show for them. He's on a season long loan, but their manager admits that they are in talks with Swindon to try and keep him past January. I don't think they will and that will probably scupper their chances of an automatic promotion

A good game, even though a bit scrappy from us. We are lethal on the break and any team that wants to go for a result against us will suffer the consequences. Unfortunately we are incapable of breaking teams down once they start to defend in numbers. We all know the solution. Lets hope the powers that be do also.

Archived