National League Thread

21 minutes ago, davidwilde said:

Well if I am right I think a certain Mr Gardner played in the championship for Wigan. I don’t think he’s been pulling up any roots since he left the EFL to come back to us. 

Think he was playing for Doncaster in League One but I understand your point.

Had a purple patch at Wigan but that was several years ago.

He should score goals at this level but only 5 in 42 in Div 1 last season and he’ll be on a wedge too.
TBH….I’d sooner have a hungry player like Willoughby!

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, ShireBlue said:

Chesterfield sign Will Grigg on a 3 year deal.

3 year deal, paid a fee for him & will be on big money.

He should score goals at this level, but MK Don's fans reckon he's now way past his best. He's averaged 1 in 6 over the last 4/5 seasons (albeit at a much higher level)

21 hours ago, oafcmetty said:

Has the playoff loser ever gone on to win the league the next season? Don't think it's happened in the last 10 years at least.

More importantly, has the team who finished 12th gone on to win the league next season?

• Like 2

Will be interesting to see how the 2 recruitment strategies play out… chesterfield bringing in big name 30+ year olds who’s careers are on the way down vs us signing 23/24 year olds who’s careers look to be on the way up.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, ShireBlue said:

Chesterfield sign Will Grigg on a 3 year deal.

right seeing as everybody ignored me last time l lazily asked on here, l'll go read up for myself on why it appears at zero knowelege that this is our biggest game on paper

l cant believe lm doing National League related research in june. again. this club of ours 🙄.

12 hours ago, Steve_R said:

More importantly, has the team who finished 12th gone on to win the league next season?

None!

However Accrington, Dagenham & Redbridge, and Barrow all won the league after finishing 10th the previous season.

Macclesfield did it after finishing 11th. Lincoln did it after finishing 13th and Sutton did it after finishing 15th

Hartlepool got promoted from finishing 12th the previous year.

Cambridge got promoted from finishing 14th, and Newport  got promoted from finishing 19th the previous year.

There is always hope

• Thanks 6

12 hours ago, nzlatic said:

Will be interesting to see how the 2 recruitment strategies play out… chesterfield bringing in big name 30+ year olds who’s careers are on the way down vs us signing 23/24 year olds who’s careers look to be on the way up.

interesting aswell to follow it from a none playing re investment kind of angle. 

l was going to do it with wrexham and notts county as l noticed a more Footballing version of it last season, where wrexham were the big splashing hollywood hoof merchant cunts. but lm finding reasons to avoid anything wrexham related makes me sick with jealousy.

just hope we arent the hoof merchants this time. not arsed about us being cunts bc we want to win the league and you have to be cunts if you want to win it.

🛳.

8 minutes ago, Ex_pat said:

None!

However Accrington, Dagenham & Redbridge, and Barrow all won the league after finishing 10th the previous season.

Macclesfield did it after finishing 11th. Lincoln did it after finishing 13th and Sutton did it after finishing 15th

Cambridge got promoted from finishing 14th, and Newport  got promoted from finishing 19th the previous year.

There is always hope

we have far more than hope this time..

12 minutes ago, Ex_pat said:

None!

There is always hope

Top research! 👍

1 hour ago, Ex_pat said:

None!

There is always hope

Tremendous research! I knew if I asked the question someone would know the answer

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Ex_pat said:

None!

There is always hope

You've got the Jeff Stelling Sky job.🤩

23 hours ago, nzlatic said:

I'd much rather we pursue the later than the former. 

Will Grigg had a popular song about him about 7 years ago I don't want us making this type of signing. Infact I will back atleast 1 of our strikers to outscore him this season.

1 hour ago, GlossopLatic said:

I'd much rather we pursue the later than the former. 

Will Grigg had a popular song about him about 7 years ago I don't want us making this type of signing. Infact I will back atleast 1 of our strikers to outscore him this season.

I’d agree in general, but if it leads them to promotion and us not then we’d all of course rather we went down their route. 
long term, I believe our strategy will work, but it’s all about promotion in the immediate short term. 

On 6/21/2023 at 10:09 PM, oafcmetty said:

Has the playoff loser ever gone on to win the league the next season? Don't think it's happened in the last 10 years at least.

Doesn't look like it has ever happened. The likes of Forest Green and Tranmere have been promoted after losing the play-off final the year before but that was by winning the play-offs not the league.

22 hours ago, rudemedic said:

Doesn't look like it has ever happened. The likes of Forest Green and Tranmere have been promoted after losing the play-off final the year before but that was by winning the play-offs not the league.

You are correct.  A losing finalist has never won the league the following season.

As you say there have been a few losing finalist (4) who have got promoted.

These are the clubs are:

Exeter in 2007/8

Grimsby in 2015/6

FGR in 2016/7

Tranmere in 2017/8

As a side note:

Wrexham were losing finalists in 2012/13 and won the league in 2022/23 (11 years).

Luton were losing finalists in 2010/11 2011/12 and won the league in 2013/14 (2/3 years).

Stevenage were losing finalists in 2004/5 and won the league in 2009/10 (5 years).

Aldershot were losing finalists in 2003/4 and won the league in 2007/8 (4 years).

Dagenham & Redbridge were losing finalists in 2002/3 and won the league in 2006/7 (4 years).

History is not on Chesterfield's side to win the league.

On paper there are a few decent strikers in the National League next season:

Altrincham - Conn-Clarke & Linney

Fylde - Haughton & Omatayo

Chesterfield - Dobra, Colclough & Grigg

Bromley - Cheek & Marriot

and that’s without considering the forwards at Woking, Dorking, Barnet, Borehamwood etc.

We need to be strong defensively throughout the team if we are going to be successful next season - so the importance of adding a couple more defenders is paramount in my opinion.

Having said that the strike force at Oldham - Nuttall, Reid, Fondop, Willoughby, Green, Tollitt - should score a few 👍

Edited by TheBigDog