North Stand Construction Thread

I think the difference between Latics fans in the Chaddy and the away fans is where the fans are mainly congregated. The away fans are being stewarded on to bottom tier; whereas Latics fans mainly (not all I grant you) filled the upper tier first. The sound from the upper tier hits the downward slope of the roof and doesn't project outwards onto the pitch; however the bottom tier has no such obstruction. Thus we hear the away fans more than we heard the home fans from the Chaddy. Well it's a theory!!!!

So we are moving from bad roof theory to where they stand theory.

Anyone seen that episode of Big Bang theory (another theory) where Sheldon walks round a cinema trying to find the acoustic sweet spot perhaps we could get the Athleticos to do the same.

Or more of us could just start singing.

• Replies 6.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Of course acoustics exist. There is a problem with the acoustics when the PA system is in use. We were repeatedly told by that there was a problem with the acoustics in the Chaddy caused by the shape of the roof. What has been proved this season is that there is no problem hearing the Chaddy End in the rest of the ground, no matter how few fans make the noise.

ghostofcecere, who often criticised the acoustics in the Chaddy, has now held his hands up and said it was nowt to do with acoustics, so we don't need to hear any more about it.

It's probably not the only reason, but the sound waves created by the people in the stand, will be reflected back towards them by the roof and thus will result in less noise being heard outside of the stand.

I think the difference between Latics fans in the Chaddy and the away fans is where the fans are mainly congregated. The away fans are being stewarded on to bottom tier; whereas Latics fans mainly (not all I grant you) filled the upper tier first. The sound from the upper tier hits the downward slope of the roof and doesn't project outwards onto the pitch; however the bottom tier has no such obstruction. Thus we hear the away fans more than we heard the home fans from the Chaddy. Well it's a theory!!!!

Decent theory.

It's probably not the only reason, but the sound waves created by the people in the stand, will be reflected back towards them by the roof and thus will result in less noise being heard outside of the stand.

Wouldn't that encourage them to sing louder and more to join in?

Mind you, it probably did. Which is why on a rare good day the atmosphere in the Chaddy was superb.

Wouldn't that encourage them to sing louder and more to join in?

Mind you, it probably did. Which is why on a rare good day the atmosphere in the Chaddy was superb.

Because the roof effectively amplified it.

It's taking 2000 away fans (versus the Athleticos) for the anti-acoustics brigade to come out.

It's not proving any argument that when 2000 ppl in that stand actually sing, they can be heard. Acoustics gate was never about the Chaddy being on mute.

It's really quite simple. One stand has a roof blocking the noise, the other doesn't. One stand's noise is partially contained but, incredibly, noise does leak out when 2000 ppl sing.

That Blades following would have been louder in the RRE.

However, I think creating a family section and, in tandem, trying to appeal to a new generation of fans (nb the observations of who went where during the stand-swapping trial) were big reasons.

But the main reason I reckon is what the players thought after the trial, after the Brentford game.

Some survey responses were then used to back that plan.

Acoustics or no acoustics

Every set of away fans in the Chaddy End this season have produced more noise than Oldham Fans did at any point last season.

I'm still waiting to hear anything of significance from the RRE barring a drum beat over the same chant. OWTBs isnt even sang anymore at home games it seems as this other bloody chant that everybody sings including Sheffield Utd on Saturday ...

Hopefully 4 stands will help the atmosphere

Acoustics or no acoustics

Every set of away fans in the Chaddy End this season have produced more noise than Oldham Fans did at any point last season.

I'm still waiting to hear anything of significance from the RRE barring a drum beat over the same chant. OWTBs isnt even sang anymore at home games it seems as this other bloody chant that everybody sings including Sheffield Utd on Saturday ...

Hopefully 4 stands will help the atmosphere

I reckon the new stand will get reasonably lively with the ebb and flow of the game, as it should be...

The section next to the Chaddy End should be quite good when there's a decent away following...

This topic of the Chaddy end should now be closed. Move on! The new set up in the RRE is far more appealing for home fans giving the younger generation there own section/mini stand. For the number of people that actual stayed in that stand it wasn't worth keeping the home fans in. It's run down! That's the problem with Oldham fans live in the past too much stops any progression that we could make. Acoustics or not it's done your not going back in it!!!

Louder than 50 moaners though, so everything to do with it - oh, and a bit to do with the massive roof that cuts down.

Although the kids evidently have greater suitability to the acoustics than the moaners.

Quite a surprising revelation in the context of Latics...

From someone who has sat in the Lookers, Chaddy and Main Stand but never the RRE I can confirm that of course you can hear people in the Chaddy end but last year our noise was drowned by the Sheffield Utd fans whereas this year it wasn't. It is noticeable that the volume of noise I hear, different from the noise they make, from away fans is less this year against a team that is doing poorly than it was last year. Apparently the noise from the unfinished stand was a welcome addition to the atmosphere so we should easily be able to make more noise now.

This topic of the Chaddy end should now be closed. Move on! The new set up in the RRE is far more appealing for home fans giving the younger generation there own section/mini stand. For the number of people that actual stayed in that stand it wasn't worth keeping the home fans in. It's run down! That's the problem with Oldham fans live in the past too much stops any progression that we could make. Acoustics or not it's done your not going back in it!!!

We'll see what happens when the weather turns.

Indeed, wearing your shades in Oldham in October should lift anyone's spirits. As long as you also remember your three pairs of socks, gloves, peaked hat and a warmer backup hat you're set for whatever the elements try and throw at you.

Anyone in the RRE with two hats could lend one to our keeper when the sun is out.

Archived