New Manager thread.

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Listen to yourselves and we all slag off arm chair ManUre fans.

The club isn't Corney or Kelly. It's Oldham Athletic.

To me its not just the first team, watching the youth team play gives me more enjoyment.

I just hope TP stays as I feel he could well be courted by higher clubs now.

I remember being distinctly unimpressed with Lee Johnson's appointment, but felt more optimistic and positive following a one-hour interview - along with Simon Corney - on Radio Manchester. Hopefully, Darren Kelly and Corney will do a similar (and lengthy) interview very soon.

At the moment I'm even less impressed with this appointment.

To me its not just the first team, watching the youth team play gives me more enjoyment.

I just hope TP stays as I feel he could well be courted by higher clubs now.

TP has been courted by bigger clubs for years. He is not interested and is happy here just like when Talbot, Penny, Sheridan , Dickov etc etc where in charge.

Even Chelsea wanted him when Danny went. He said no..

Its funny how when people have a downer on the club they just try to really look for stuff to moan about. You go and watch the youth BP all will be well there

Edited by palmer1

He's going to need a lot of luck.

LJ was a shock appointment but he hit the ground running and pulled off a very impressive achievement by keeping us up almost immediately, which bought him time in the following season. Kelly has to prove himself before a ball is even kicked by showing what he can do in the transfer market. If he doesn't start well next season I'd have no problem with us cutting our losses early on.

The things that worry me in the transfer market include his ability to convince our best players to stay. The current squad isn't terrible and I'd be happy to keep the bulk of them, but our best players will look at Kelly and see no guarantee of what he can offer them.

If they aren't convinced and leave in numbers, he'll have to recruit a large chunk of a new squad. For that he'll need good contacts. He might have these but his playing and coaching career so far would suggest that he hasn't been in the best environments to gain these contacts. At least LJ and Dickov had played at levels similar to this or above so when it came to asking mates for favours the players were of a reasonable ability.

Finally it seems as though most of his jobs so far have been with youth teams. I don't believe he'll have the time to bring in "project" players (e.g. JCH) who'll need time to develop, he needs to bring in players who can bed in straight away.

I hope he proves me wrong, but I think he will struggle in all these areas and I think he has a mammoth task just to stay in the job by Christmas.

I support the football team and in 12 months Kelly will either be a hero or gone , either way i will still be here.

I have a feeling that it is a gamble by SC to develop the youth side of the club pinning his faith in Kelly , Holden and Philli (senior).

Knowing Latics cant compete on budgets and the threatened reduction with regards the loan system he obviously sees youth development as the only long term

solution to keeping Latics alive.

Not the inspired signing we had hoped for and short term i think it will have an affect on S/T sales but i hope one day we can look back and think what an inspired appointment that was !!!!!

Knowing Latics cant compete on budgets and the threatened reduction with regards the loan system he obviously sees youth development as the only long term

Well I hope he tells the new manager that there will be a reserve team. Having promising youth players is pointless unless there is a next step for them

We were told that the sports direct deal would allow us to compete with the bigger teams in the division.

One of the final candidates agent then tells us that our budget will be one of the lowest in the division next season...

Something doesn't add up.

TP has been courted by bigger clubs for years. He is not interested and is happy here just like when Talbot, Penny, Sheridan , Dickov etc etc where in charge.

Its funny how when people have a downer on the club they just try to really look for stuff to moan about. You go and watch the youth BP all will be well there

TP might well have been happy in the past, but what if the new manager who has coached at youth level wants to bring his own men in?

Its not Kelly's fault he was appointed and no one can really predict how he will turn out, time will tell, but its my decision not to put down money up front as is my prerogative,

Edited by BP1960

One of the final candidates agent then tells us that our budget will be one of the lowest in the division next season...

I wouldn't believe a word said by someone who acts as unprofessionally as him

We were told that the sports direct deal would allow us to compete with the bigger teams in the division.

corney said the Sports Direct deal would put us in the top 8 in the division budget wise. In addition, why is the revenue from the new stand not impacting until the season after next ? I though FFP was calculated on expected revenue from the season ahead.

Without adequate answers from our owner, the fan base gets further disengaged.

Why refer to re - building a squad that has a core already contracted and performed well until the circus period.This can only be preparation for a fire sale.what should have been the foundation to build success has been blown apart.

It will be interesting to know how many reserved tickets will now be purchased.

I support the football team and in 12 months Kelly will either be a hero or gone , either way i will still be here.

I have a feeling that it is a gamble by SC to develop the youth side of the club pinning his faith in Kelly , Holden and Philli (senior).

Not the inspired signing we had hoped for and short term i think it will have an affect on S/T sales but i hope one day we can look back and think what an inspired appointment that was !!!!!

Thats what the Tranmere board said when appointing Rob Edwards

"We want a manager capable of winning promotion but also one able to improve our current bright young talents, as well as putting in place a pathway to bring through more players from our Academy".

Edwards quote;

"I'm looking to move the club forward with an attacking brand of high-energy football and I can't wait to get started."

Hope this appointment turns out better.

TP might well have been happy in the past, but what if the new manager who has coached at youth level wants to bring his own men in?

Its not Kelly's fault he was appointed and no one can really predict how he will turn out, time will tell, but its my decision not to put down money up front as is my prerogative,

Dean Holden is his assistant. He isn't bringing in his own men. TP has a job for life if he wants it...

I think it's very unlikely Kelly will even be playing for Latics next season.

Granted words on a stage at an awards evening are cheap. but his comments tend to say he will be. If he's already on his way out I'll be very disappointed in his speech.

There's a thread on the Sunderland forum about us appointing Kelly but before everyone goes rushing over to get the lowdown, not one of the Sunderland fans that have posted know who Darren Kelly is (including one who's son plays for the academy)...