January Window Gossip/Rumours

2 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

No but I'm able to make a distinction between the two.

For some people it is all about the result on a matchday and that's cool, personally I need a bit more depth to in terms of the bigger picture if you like to hold my interest.

This is worrying, I'm finding myself agreeing with you 🤔😳

18 minutes ago, Dave_Og said:

Agree with all that, very difficult to say what is enough/too much because that question is all down to individuals and how well they do/how long they stay. 

Perhaps the biggest factor in losing the important feeling of connection is the rapid turnover of players and we all know that has been a problem for years and probably for most lower league clubs. 

The end of the day though, footballers are human beings. It’s a short career, and they have to take into account the variables of ambition, loyalty, success, being closer to family, standard of living, etc

I feel connected to the players. Yes I work at the club so it’s a bit easier... but I want to see George Edmundson and Tom Hamer do well, I think Langy can go right to the top he’s that good and technically gifted. Peter Clarke gives his all every game despite being THIRTY SEVEN (I genuinely think some fans forget that), COG is the nicest man in football, and it may show on the pitch sometimes, but he’s a work horse and I admire his professionalism. Missilou and Nepomuceno are different class, I get excited when Nepo gets on the ball, he’s the best left winger we’ve had in years.

As long as they give their all whilst they’re here, if they move they move. It’s not on us to decide for them or vilify  a human being for making a decision, even if they are professional footballers 

Edited by OAFCBilly

Don’t care where we sign them from.  Don’t care who buys them.  Don’t even care who’s coaching them.....as long as we’re winning.

I still get a sense of xenophobia from some of the media because we’ve got a foreign owner who’s buying or loaning foreign players.  Comments like “flooding the team”, “basement French leagues” have started to disappear but it’s still around because we’re not following the traditional manager buying players model.

AL is a foreign owner but before that he was a foreign football agent who was successful enough to blow millions in buying a football club.  Granted he’s hot-headed but perhaps he has insight to acquire a lower-league team who could, one day, return to the multi-millions in Championship/Premier League.  Started at the bottom he can acquire affordable talent; playing away from the radar and not asking ridiculous money on wages or fees.  We can develop them - and the club - along the way to sell them for a profit and make the club self-sustainable and, dare I say it, profitable too.

It may succeed, it may not.  However AL is keeping our club alive.  Stuff the sycophantic press, ex-players, ex-owners and ex-managers who criticise anyone who challenges the old school way of doing things and refuse to pander to the professional footballer community.

13 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

Not sure that is necessarily a good reason for importing unknown foreigners in to be honest...

I didnt say that it was a good reason...but given where we are at, and who is doing the signing....it could work to our advantage

9 minutes ago, OAFCBilly said:

The end of the day though, footballers are human beings. It’s a short career, and they have to take into account the variables of ambition, loyalty, success, being closer to family, standard of living, etc

I feel connected to the players. Yes I work at the club so it’s a bit easier... but I want to see George Edmundson and Tom Hamer do well, I think Langy can go right to the top he’s that good and technically gifted. Peter Clarke gives his all every game despite being THIRTY SEVEN (I genuinely think some fans forget that), COG is the nicest man in football, and it may show on the pitch sometimes, but he’s a work horse and I admire his professionalism. Missilou and Nepomuceno are different class, I get excited when Nepo gets on the ball, he’s the best left winger we’ve had in years.

As long as they give their all whilst they’re here, if they move they move. It’s not on us to decide for them or vilify  a human being for making a decision, even if they are professional footballers 

thanks for the insights....I agree if they pull on the shirt and we see that effort on the pitch, then we support....its when you don't see the effort that pees me off....I make the effort to freeze to death watching them, the odd goal keeps my blood flowing when i celebrate its a necessity.

What a well reasoned thread of late.  Thanks OAFCBilly.

Interesting that we could start with 11 overseas players if we have seven homegrown on the bench.

I don't expect our players to identify with Oldham, I don't as a Kentish Man, but I do expect them to identify with the team as I do and that is where Bunn and now Wild seem to have had some success.  No doubt Fulham will help and I'm sure Vera is looking forward to playing in the FA Cup and I hope he starts today to get a feel for the English game.

1 hour ago, Monty Burns said:

Missile has had three good games. Less than Maouche has.

He's had a few more than 3 good games that's a little harsh. Maouche has had a few good games but it's taken us 15 months to see anything of him

If you buy domestic players they don't take that long to adjust they usually hit the ground running. which is the other major advantage.

1 hour ago, Midsblue said:

Don’t care where we sign them from.  Don’t care who buys them.  Don’t even care who’s coaching them.....as long as we’re winning.

I still get a sense of xenophobia from some of the media because we’ve got a foreign owner who’s buying or loaning foreign players.  Comments like “flooding the team”, “basement French leagues” have started to disappear but it’s still around because we’re not following the traditional manager buying players model.

AL is a foreign owner but before that he was a foreign football agent who was successful enough to blow millions in buying a football club.  Granted he’s hot-headed but perhaps he has insight to acquire a lower-league team who could, one day, return to the multi-millions in Championship/Premier League.  Started at the bottom he can acquire affordable talent; playing away from the radar and not asking ridiculous money on wages or fees.  We can develop them - and the club - along the way to sell them for a profit and make the club self-sustainable and, dare I say it, profitable too.

It may succeed, it may not.  However AL is keeping our club alive.  Stuff the sycophantic press, ex-players, ex-owners and ex-managers who criticise anyone who challenges the old school way of doing things and refuse to pander to the professional footballer community.

Well put. 

In the short term I want us to be stronger leaving the Transfer Window than entering it. It doesn’t bother me if that comes from AL identifying players or if someone else does. Given Pete Wild’s probable lack of exposure to players at other clubs then it’s unreasonable to expect a massive input from him in this window. However he does seem to be able to coach well and get the players performing as a unit and that’s what he should be concentrating on. 

The old role of manager is vanishing even at Div 3 & 4 level. If our owner is adept at identifying talent , from wherever, then we should see this as a positive. Not every signing will pay off - they never have , viz Moulden, Currie, McDonald, in the Royle years-. 

We are in different times, and we have to make the most of them.

Edited by LaticsPete

5 minutes ago, LaticsPete said:

Well put. 

In the short term I want us to be stronger leaving the Transfer Window than entering it. It doesn’t bother me if that comes from AL identifying players or if someone else does. Given Pete Wild’s probable lack of exposure to players at other clubs then it’s unreasonable to expect a massive input from him in this window. However he does seem to be able to coach well and get the players performing as a unit and that’s what he should be concentrating on. 

The old role of manager is vanishing even at Div 3 & 4 level. If our owner is adept at identifying talent , from wherever, then we should see this as a positive. Not every signing will pay off - they never have , viz Moulden, Currie, McDonald, in the Royle years-. 

We are in different times, and we have to make the most expensive f them.

Great post. :chubb:.  Oh you forgot Derrick Parker in the above.

22 minutes ago, GlossopLatic said:

If you buy domestic players they don't take that long to adjust they usually hit the ground running. which is the other major advantage.

Adam Rooney didn’t.  Nor did half of the other players Wellens brought in last year or Dunn before him.  

I dont think Lang or Surridge had much to do with being domestic players but skilful players.  

Some continuity is key. Typically first game of the season it looks like strangers playing together for the first time and in recent years it has been.

I don't care where they were born, I'm OK if we build slowly  rather than blow whatever funds are available then spend the next 10 years hand to mouth.

I'd like to see George and Hamer develop for a few years and more of the youth come through.

Some of our better players will get sold- if we can develop them to get a good fee ( and sell ons....) and recycle that money in to raising the average standard of the team we could see us compete at a higher level.

If we brought two youth through each year and sold one of them for a six figure fee two years later, and did the same with some of AL's imports couldn't that be successful?

I've no idea if Sylla will be a success. I hope he is. A contract to end of next season shows some confidence. I'm pleased  We have what - half a dozen contracted to be here next year? If the buy/ develop sell on model is to work some of the current squad need tying down. Regardless it would be good to have a core playing in April who start in August.

It used to be the team evolved slowly from season to season- a couple of signings, a couple released/ retired, an occasional sale. Maybe those days have gone for ever . But  I think I would feel more of a connection if they were 'our players'. - ones we had watched for a couple of seasons and that obviously had some 'pride in the shirt'. Don't care where they were born or where they played before. 

11 minutes ago, Longlostfan said:

Some continuity is key. Typically first game of the season it looks like strangers playing together for the first time and in recent years it has been.

I don't care where they were born, I'm OK if we build slowly  rather than blow whatever funds are available then spend the next 10 years hand to mouth.

I'd like to see George and Hamer develop for a few years and more of the youth come through.

Some of our better players will get sold- if we can develop them to get a good fee ( and sell ons....) and recycle that money in to raising the average standard of the team we could see us compete at a higher level.

If we brought two youth through each year and sold one of them for a six figure fee two years later, and did the same with some of AL's imports couldn't that be successful?

I've no idea if Sylla will be a success. I hope he is. A contract to end of next season shows some confidence. I'm pleased  We have what - half a dozen contracted to be here next year? If the buy/ develop sell on model is to work some of the current squad need tying down. Regardless it would be good to have a core playing in April who start in August.

It used to be the team evolved slowly from season to season- a couple of signings, a couple released/ retired, an occasional sale. Maybe those days have gone for ever . But  I think I would feel more of a connection if they were 'our players'. - ones we had watched for a couple of seasons and that obviously had some 'pride in the shirt'. Don't care where they were born or where they played before. 

Vera is on a 1 and a half year contract.

3 hours ago, Monty Burns said:

Missile has had three good games. Less than Maouche has.

Think Missilou has had more than three good games but, in any event, is the difference between them at this stage that since he’s found his feet Missilou has been performing consistently whereas Maouche has been less so? Not that I’m actually being critical of Maouche because I think he’s played well in a good few games.

Edited by rteoafc

14 minutes ago, kowenicki said:

Sefil and Sylla have 18 month contracts I think

Sefil certainly has; can't remember what we gave Sylla. Vera is to end of season but, if he's the 20 goal a season striker we've been crying out for, who's to say he won't get another contract? I just hope he isn't written off as crap if he's a bit below par in his first couple of games.

3 hours ago, Hands on said:

What a well reasoned thread of late.  Thanks OAFCBilly.

Interesting that we could start with 11 overseas players if we have seven homegrown on the bench.

I don't expect our players to identify with Oldham, I don't as a Kentish Man, but I do expect them to identify with the team as I do and that is where Bunn and now Wild seem to have had some success.  No doubt Fulham will help and I'm sure Vera is looking forward to playing in the FA Cup and I hope he starts today to get a feel for the English game.

As Saddleworthite now residing in the land of Kentish Man, for me it is an indefinable mix of success, skill, effort but also length of service. Very few of the ones that are here for a season or two stick in my mind. Sadly far too many of them in the last couple of decades. I'd love Missilou and the like to be here for 4,5 years-with success of course. 

Dummigan and Hunt, for example, I don't particularly identify with, maybe unfairly.