3 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

Thing that's really pissing me off about this is all our own fans slagging him off calling him red scum and the similar on Twitter and the like, now I appreciate he had a glittering career which he was never going to have with his boyhood club and nobody should begrudge him that but to start saying 'Scholes out' already on the basis that he played for United shows how thick some of our fanbase are, probably the same planks who sing 'Andy Ritchies magic' whenever it's piped up, you know the ex United player who supports United and works for MUTV. 

I hope our own fans grasp this chance of Scholes coming here because he's a winner, doesn't know what failure is and given the chance will get us back where we belong, I've no doubt about that. Anyone against this appointment and what it could do for our club seriously needs to give their head a wobble.

There’s no hope for people with that attitude 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

Thing that's really pissing me off about this is all our own fans slagging him off calling him red scum and  similar on Twitter and the like, now I appreciate he had a glittering career which he was never going to have with his boyhood club and nobody should begrudge him that but to start saying 'Scholes out' already on the basis that he played for United shows how thick some of our fanbase are, probably the same planks who sing 'Andy Ritchies magic' whenever it's piped up, you know the ex United player who supports United and works for MUTV. 

I hope our own fans grasp this chance of Scholes coming here because he's a winner, doesn't know what failure is and given the chance will get us back where we belong, I've no doubt about that. Anyone against this appointment and what it could do for our club seriously needs to give their head a wobble.

Andy Ritchie was a Utd man but a complete legend at Latics best news st Oldham in years if Scholes rocks up.

19 minutes ago, Mickey Quinn's testicles said:

Slightly excited and good luck to Scholes if true but I don't think it really matters who is manager anymore as there appears to be no foundations to help them succeed at this club. If he lasts more than 6 months I'd be very surprised.

Maybe so but possibly, just possibly, this could be a sign that they might be thinking longer term? 

It seems reasonably evident that this appointment has been in negotiation for some time, time that could have been taken to agree some proper planning? 

7 minutes ago, Mickey Quinn's testicles said:

Slightly excited and good luck to Scholes if true but I don't think it really matters who is manager anymore as there appears to be no foundations to help them succeed at this club. If he lasts more than 6 months I'd be very surprised.

Over 100yrs of foundations waiting for somebody to come in and fix the subsidence. I thought Bunn was bringing that stability and settling things down.

Scholes coming in is exciting and any fan who thinks or says otherwise needs to look back at the last 20 odd years, because this lad could do much better than us in reality, look at Lampard and Gerrard.

If it is true I would imagine there will be more investment from somewhere, whether he can bring that or AL can bring that with of a top world class footballer at the healm. We have to admit things will change with scholes here, we will become talked about again and followed by people who have forgotten we exist.

Scholes has investment in Salford, he is already a wealthy lad but I'm sure his investment has quadrupled with them about to become a league club.

Uncertanties remain with his Salford connections but I'm sure once here we will be his main concern.

Well done AL if this is true, step back and stay behind the scenes, let scholes lift the doldrums and give him support.

We fans need to accept this season may not mean promotion but the start of a new and hopefully exciting era.

10 minutes ago, Mickey Quinn's testicles said:

Have to disagree with this.

With Scholes' financial status, it certainly won't be about the money. Scholes will feel he can make a difference and is a big enough name for him to be able to set out terms (not personal) on the way the club moves forward.

Scholes will have enough "inside" knowledge about how the club is currently run to negotiate assurances and, I'm guessing here, AL is astute enough to see this as a marketing coup and is agreeable to these assurances.

Another point (guess) I would add, maybe this is a springboard for additional financing from the Middle East.

9 hours ago, BP1960 said:

The Sun, though despicable In many ways, is seldom wrong on football matters. I've yet to see summat in the football pages that didn't later turn out to be true or occur. It's usually spot on.

47 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

Thing that's really pissing me off about this is all our own fans slagging him off calling him red scum and  similar on Twitter and the like, now I appreciate he had a glittering career which he was never going to have with his boyhood club and nobody should begrudge him that but to start saying 'Scholes out' already on the basis that he played for United shows how thick some of our fanbase are, probably the same planks who sing 'Andy Ritchies magic' whenever it's piped up, you know the ex United player who supports United and works for MUTV. 

I've never gone to Twitter to see what our lot conjure up with a character limit (this forum is quite enough!), but I can only imagine there is only a handful with such a stupid take on this. They must be the troll-under-the-bridge element that all clubs must suffer with.

43 minutes ago, Mickey Quinn's testicles said:

I definitely think that Scholes is one of the better people we could have managing us, but totally agree with the above.

5 minutes ago, the_mighty_bosh said:

I definitely think that Scholes is one of the better people we could have managing us, but totally agree with the above.

You'd have to assume that Scholes has laid some pretty stringent rules in place. He doesn't need the job or the money and it's actually a risk for him taking it. 

I reckon Abdallah will have found his match and Scholes will have sought assurances on quite a few things. He's in a position to do that (unlike any of the other realistic candidates). Hopefully they'll keep each other in check.

• Like 1

"At La Masia his name was mentioned alot he is like a teacher here" - Lionel Messi on Paul Scholes 

If that's what the greatest  player of his generation says then it's difficult to see how this is anything other than a massive coup for a 4th division club.

No other club in this division or the one above will get someone of that stature in the game even entertaining the idea of being the manager of their football club.

Lets be honest here; we need Scholes more than he needs us.

In our current position we cannot attract the type of manager needed to lift us so we need someone who has an affinity with the club and doesn’t need the wage.  Scholes ticks both of those boxes.

If he is coming then this signals a monumental shift for the club.  Scholes is holding all the cards so wouldn’t come here if he had no budget or no say in player recruitment.   He doesn’t need the aggro, doesn’t need us blotting his managerial copybook and could easily start much higher like Lampard or Gerrard.  My gut feel is that this means AL has demonstrated that he has the funds or someone else is now investing and Scholes in the hot seat was the condition.  Scholes is a major attraction to players and football mad - and rich - people.  It’ll add to the gate and even more so if he can get us winning and playing attractive football along the way.

Having Scholes and Butt coaching means we’ll get decent youth players from the Premier League plus abroad.  Clubs will relish them coaching their kids and gaining experience in the lower leagues.  Scholes would have done his homework with his contacts before agreeing to this; will you loan me X, Y or Z ?  

Im giving AL all the credit here but I also think there’s someone else now involved to convince Scholes to manage us at this level.

Edited by Midsblue

8 minutes ago, Midsblue said:

Lets be honest here; we need Scholes more than he needs us.

In our current position we cannot attract the type of manager needed to lift us so we need someone who has an affinity with the club and doesn’t need the wage.  Scholes ticks both of those boxes.

If he is coming then this signals a monumental shift for the club.  Scholes is holding all the cards so wouldn’t come here if he had no budget or no say in player recruitment.   He doesn’t need the aggro, doesn’t need us blotting his managerial copybook and could easily start much higher like Lampard or Gerrard.  My gut feel is that this means AL has demonstrated that he has the funds or someone else is now investing and Scholes in the hot seat was the condition.  Scholes is a major attraction to players and football mad - and rich - people.  It’ll add to the gate and even more so if he can get us winning and playing attractive football along the way.

Having Scholes and Butt coaching means we’ll get decent youth players from the Premier League plus abroad.  Clubs will relish them coaching their kids and gaining experience in the lower leagues.  Scholes would have done his homework with his contacts before agreeing to this; will you loan me X, Y or Z ?  

Im giving AL all the credit here but I also think there’s someone else now involved to convince Scholes to manage us at this level.

Nicky Butt..where’s that come from??

3 minutes ago, oafc1955 said:

Nicky Butt..where’s that come from??

A few sad they saw Butt with Scholes at the game yesterday.  I imagine he’ll bring in coaches he knows.  He’ll want to maximise his chances of success hence my feel that there’s more to this story than AL convincing Scholes to take on the managers job.

1 hour ago, yarddog73 said:

I read a post on Facebook this morning where someone was saying they won’t set foot in Boundary Park until Scholes is gone because he’s ‘red scum’. 

Ridiculous. 

I also saw a tweet from a supposed United fan saying that they hope Scholes spectacularly fails. 

7 minutes ago, Stevie_J said:

I read a post on Facebook this morning where someone was saying they won’t set foot in Boundary Park until Scholes is gone because he’s ‘red scum’. 

Ridiculous. 

I also saw a tweet from a supposed United fan saying that they hope Scholes spectacularly fails. 

For every United fan hoping he fails there will be another 1000 wishing him well.

Any Oldham fan against scholes because he is a United legend needs to really grow up and stop embarrassing themselves.

Edited by maximus1267

2 hours ago, yarddog73 said:

100%.  

This is exciting. If people have a problem with it then they are very silly indeed. 

The man has an affinity with us that is real. It is just as real as the affinity of any manager we have ever had, perhaps more so. 

He he must be able to use connections to get players and players will absolutely want to work with him.

The man is a living legend in football and we should be grateful and excited that he has decided to finally take the step with us. 

10 minutes ago, Midsblue said:

A few sad they saw Butt with Scholes at the game yesterday.  I imagine he’ll bring in coaches he knows.  He’ll want to maximise his chances of success hence my feel that there’s more to this story than AL convincing Scholes to take on the managers job.

Would be stunned if Butt walked away from the head of Manchester United academy to become assistant manager in league 2. It was prob a case of Scholes asking his mate to come to the game with him and cast his eye over the team and give him some thoughts. Scholes will have the ear of a lot of experienced top coaches and managers he can turn to for help if he wants so why not start with a mate you trust. 

12 minutes ago, Stevie_J said:

Ridiculous. 

Does that supporter hate Gardner? Who is the biggest Man U fan you could ever meet?  What pillocks any fan with that stance must be? 

The United fan posting that isn’t a proper united fan. One of THOSE very common united fans that doesn’t get football and has probably never been. 

Edited by kowenicki