Official COVID-19 megathread

20 hours ago, nzlatic said:

Where do the stats come from for point 3? I had a quick look and see us below very few comparable countries.  And above almost all the countries you mention.  

My apologies - that was a mistake. I meant to say total cases per million of population, not deaths and my eye skipped a column. Sorry. The stats are at www.worldometers/info and are reset at midnight GMT daily. The deaths column does show that we have fared worse than most countries, though a number of those that I mistakenly named in point 3 are not far behind.

I do not pretend that the government has not made mistakes in its handling of the virus, and when this is all over there needs to be an independent enquiry as to what worked and didn't, and lessons to be learned. At the moment among major Western countries with large populations only Germany for me stands out as a relative success story, and even there they are struggling to contain the new variant. The fact is that every major developed nation has struggled to cope with this pandemic. Instead of constant criticism, much of it negative, we need to work together to follow the rules and beat the virus. The tidal wave of abuse is not dissimilar to the furore over Brexit - a visitor from Mars would think the Tories were evil incarnate. It's nonsense and simply undermines belief in democracy and polarises opinion. For example (I'm straying off topic I know) when I see posts like "the English exit" re the EU, I despair. The UK voted to leave the EU, regardless of what the opportunist SNP demagogue Sturgeon would have you believe, and we have not left Europe, because the EU, despite what it likes to think, is not Europe. Whether you were Remain or Leave, Boris Johnson did what he promised - he took us out of the EU, and he delivered a trade deal. But he is damned if he keeps a promise and damned if he doesn't. I say again - would life really have been any better under Corbyn, who didn't even have the guts to stick to his original anti-EU views? Corbyn is relevant by the way because the good sense of a majority of voters saw through him at the last election. That was a wise decision then and it remains a wise decision now. Let's have less anti-government moaning and more national unity to get us through the next few weeks. 

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Worcester Owl said:

My apologies - that was a mistake. I meant to say total cases per million of population, not deaths and my eye skipped a column. Sorry. The stats are at www.worldometers/info and are reset at midnight GMT daily. The deaths column does show that we have fared worse than most countries, though a number of those that I mistakenly named in point 3 are not far behind.

I do not pretend that the government has not made mistakes in its handling of the virus, and when this is all over there needs to be an independent enquiry as to what worked and didn't, and lessons to be learned. At the moment among major Western countries with large populations only Germany for me stands out as a relative success story, and even there they are struggling to contain the new variant. The fact is that every major developed nation has struggled to cope with this pandemic. Instead of constant criticism, much of it negative, we need to work together to follow the rules and beat the virus. The tidal wave of abuse is not dissimilar to the furore over Brexit - a visitor from Mars would think the Tories were evil incarnate. It's nonsense and simply undermines belief in democracy and polarises opinion. For example (I'm straying off topic I know) when I see posts like "the English exit" re the EU, I despair. The UK voted to leave the EU, regardless of what the opportunist SNP demagogue Sturgeon would have you believe, and we have not left Europe, because the EU, despite what it likes to think, is not Europe. Whether you were Remain or Leave, Boris Johnson did what he promised - he took us out of the EU, and he delivered a trade deal. But he is damned if he keeps a promise and damned if he doesn't. I say again - would life really have been any better under Corbyn, who didn't even have the guts to stick to his original anti-EU views? Corbyn is relevant by the way because the good sense of a majority of voters saw through him at the last election. That was a wise decision then and it remains a wise decision now. Let's have less anti-government moaning and more national unity to get us through the next few weeks. 

worldometers is a disputed source of info. Try https://ourworldindata.org/coronavirus

I note you bemoan the tidal wave of abuse, and then call Sturgeon an opportunist demagogue and pleaded for national unity.

My own view is the Govt has done some things right, and I've always said supported furliugh more than Labour would have dared, and the vaccine apporval has been praiseworthy. but their mistakes have been fatal. The £12 billion Test and Test being a particular low point. Many fear their competence in the vaccine rollout, and they need constant pressure

54 minutes ago, Worcester Owl said:

You've completely undermined your argument by saying it would have been worse under Corbyn.  He didn't get elected.  This lot did and they should have done better.

9 minutes ago, singe said:

My own view is the Govt has done some things right, and I've always said supported furliugh more than Labour would have dared,

Do you think a Labour Chancellor would have got off as easily as Sunak has with our right wing press and Tory opposition?

Not a Corbyn supporter but one of the big criticisms pre election was they had some magic money tree to spend, spend, spend. Well Sunak has certainly managed to find said tree.

56 minutes ago, Worcester Owl said:

I say again - would life really have been any better under Corbyn, who didn't even have the guts to stick to his original anti-EU views? Corbyn is relevant by the way because the good sense of a majority of voters saw through him at the last election. That was a wise decision then and it remains a wise decision now. Let's have less anti-government moaning and more national unity to get us through the next few weeks. 

Still not seeing how you connect the unelected powerless politician Corbyn to how the country is being run now.

6 hours ago, Monty Burns said:

Who the fuck is Gary Needle and how the fuck is he going against the tide by doing the same as nearly every other school in the country 😂😂😂😂

Just come out of a Zoom meeting with around 300 headteachers and I only spotted Gaz Needle in there.

2 hours ago, whittles left foot said:

Do you think a Labour Chancellor would have got off as easily as Sunak has with our right wing press and Tory opposition?

Not a Corbyn supporter but one of the big criticisms pre election was they had some magic money tree to spend, spend, spend. Well Sunak has certainly managed to find said tree.

Still not seeing how you connect the unelected powerless politician Corbyn to how the country is being run now.

Aye. 

I’m no fan of Corbyn, but you’re right. He has got nothing to do with the handling of Covid. It’s completely moot. 

You’re point about the tree is misleading. There is a huge difference in what you need/want 300 Billion for. 

300 Billion to save lives, and make sure as many people as possible have a job. AKA - a crisis akin to war. 

Or 

300 Billion for your political wish list. 

No peacetime government in our history has spent circa 15% of GDP in one election cycle. 

1 hour ago, League one forever said:

Aye. 

I’m no fan of Corbyn, but you’re right. He has got nothing to do with the handling of Covid. It’s completely moot. 

You’re point about the tree is misleading. There is a huge difference in what you need/want 300 Billion for. 

300 Billion to save lives, and make sure as many people as possible have a job. AKA - a crisis akin to war. 

Or 

300 Billion for your political wish list. 

No peacetime government in our history has spent circa 15% of GDP in one election cycle. 

Fair enough but you be assured that our press would not give the easy ride they have to Sunak to any labour chancellor.

23 hours ago, whittles left foot said:

No, and your point is exactly my point too.

On 1/6/2021 at 11:29 AM, singe said:

I note you bemoan the tidal wave of abuse, and then call Sturgeon an opportunist demagogue and pleaded for national unity.

Also consider the press tore strips off ministers for eating a bacon sandwich, drinking a can on a train, and lowering their head for only half an inch rather than the full head-on-chest bow at the Cenotaph.

On 1/6/2021 at 10:51 AM, Worcester Owl said:

The UK voted to leave the EU,

England and Wales dragged the Union out of it. Northern Ireland and Scotland as countries voted to stay in. Now Wales has followed Scotland trying for independence. I think the break up of the Union is inevitable, and where that stops is anyone's guess - Northumbria, anyone? English and Welsh exit, if that makes it sound any easier, but please - come on - let's not kid ourselves.

Whether you were Remain or Leave, Boris Johnson did what he promised - he took us out of the EU, and he delivered a trade deal. But he is damned if he keeps a promise and damned if he doesn't. I say again - would life really have been any better under Corbyn, who didn't even have the guts to stick to his original anti-EU views?

I'm sure Johnson stuck to his pre EU referendum opinions. To be honest, I feel that changing opinions on something is a good thing (Ralph Waldo Emerson and all that) - it appears that you've reconsidered after further study. Although MP Ben Bradley abused the privilege.

And as for delivering the referendum vote, it's like saying a dead body washed ashore at Calais swam the channel - see below. We've fucked it, and the kids didn't get a chance.

Corbyn is relevant by the way because the good sense of a majority of voters saw through him at the last election. That was a wise decision then and it remains a wise decision now.

Farage forced a one-policy election campaign that Labour would never win. It was either a BXP/CON coalition, or a CON win.

1 hour ago, BP1960 said:

My wife's covid jab has been cancelled until further notice...the vaccine has failed to arrive.

The surgery Hancock turned up at this morning didn't receive the 400 vaccines they had been expecting. That was a big PR failure.

28 minutes ago, al_bro said:

The surgery Hancock turned up at this morning didn't receive the 400 vaccines they had been expecting. That was a big PR failure.

I notice the photoshoot today wasn't at a surgery like in Failsworth where over 80s had to queue outside in the freezing cold for hours.

10 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

I notice the photoshoot today wasn't at a surgery like in Failsworth where over 80s had to queue outside in the freezing cold for hours.

I've been thinking that myself. Vulnerable old people, standing in this weather for some time, can't be good for them. They may have to walk there as well on slippery footpaths. Using public transport is not advisable because of the risks of picking up covid. The Oxford vaccine takes three weeks to become effective.

Archived