Playing Squad - Summer 21

8 minutes ago, Lee Sinnott2 said:

Kewell is a multi-millionaire. He would have nothing to gain by being a stooge. I do genuinely believe Kewell made most of the signings, another sign of his incompetence...

He said it himself, he was the head coach, not the manager. Maybe his wife has spent all his money.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, Lee Sinnott2 said:

Kewell is a multi-millionaire. He would have nothing to gain by being a stooge. I do genuinely believe Kewell made most of the signings, another sign of his incompetence...

I think Kewell must bear responsibility for this squad. His philosophy of defence doesn’t matter led to us recruiting a lot of lightweight ball players who disappear when the opposition have the ball. This was compounded with the January window signings when the team was crying out for a spine of tough physically strong players but instead we got lightweights who made such little impression that they appear to have been sent back before the season ended. If Curle stays he will want recruits in a different image.

2 hours ago, Lee Sinnott2 said:

Or he pretty much worked for free in one last desperate attempt to make it as a manger and accepted any shit that came his way. That said I grew to like him, would have kept him.

1 minute ago, latics22 said:

Or he pretty much worked for free in one last desperate attempt to make it as a manger and accepted any shit that came his way. That said I grew to like him, would have kept him.

He deserved the sack for that coat alone 

then he was asked about our defensive problem and responded with

”everyone concedes in League 2”

He then signed or accepted the signing of Tasdemir who should be on trial for fraud 

The guy was a tool 

At least half of those signed up for next season are National League at best. There'll have to be some bloody good recruitment to counter balance that lot.

As for the loanees we've had, were Hilßner and Grant sent back? No great loss but, if so, why wasn't Garrity? As for Tasdemir, didn't Kewell say he'd been after him for some time? The only ones after him should be the Fraud Squad. Walker can bugger off back to Milton Keynes with my best wishes, Lawlor I'd take at a pinch if there's no one better available and we won't see Clarke again.

If Curle stays, provided he doesn't upset the Brothers Grimm and can actually have a say on signings etc, we just might get somewhere. If he goes, I dread to think what next season will bring.

Quite why anyone expects managers at League Two clubs to front up to their bosses and demand/reject signings is beyond me. 92 league jobs in England and these aren’t world beaters with dozens of other potential employers beating down their doors. 

I thought Kewell did okay. No better, no worse than any of the recent drones. Curle is no better in my mind. Thing is, we can’t really judge how good any of them really are when they are saddled with this squad and owner, nor do I really expect any of them to be calling the shots with the people paying their salaries (assuming they aren’t working for free…).

7 hours ago, oafcmetty said:

Loanees all done...

33. Laurence Bilboe (2021 plus option)
30. Mackenzie Chapman (scholar)

3. Cameron Borthwick-Jackson (2021)
4. Sido Jombati (2021)
5. Carl Piergianni (2022)
14. Dylan Fage (2022)
15. Kyle Jameson (2022)
20. Andrea Badan (2022)
22. Raphaël Diarra (2022)
32. Will Sutton (scholar)

8. Callum Whelan (2022)
10. Davis Keillor-Dunn (2022)
16. Brice Ntambwe (2021 plus option)
23. Nicky Adams (2022)
24. Dylan Bahamboula (2022)
28. Ben Hough (scholar)
43. Reece Gaskell (scholar)
59. Jack Williams (scholar)

7. George Blackwood (2022)
18. Conor McAleny (2021)
19. Zak Dearnley (2022)
26. Marcus Barnes (2021)
27. Vani Da Silva (scholar)
29. Junior Luamba (scholar)

34. Harry Vaughan (scholar)

Out of that out-of-contract list, Bilboe didn't really get much of a chance but didn't look convincing when he played, so I'd have no problem if he left.  Jombati has been very poor and should go.  Ntambwe is the type of player who should fit into a Curle side but clearly isn't good enough.  I'd only keep Barnes on a month-to-month deal or similar.  I'd keep CBJ if Curle is here and of course McAleny, but of course I doubt we'll be able to convince him to stay.

For the contracted players, I'd keep the majority of them on the strict condition that the bulk of them are squad players next season at best.  Adams and Bahamboula are clear starters, Piergianni, Whelan and DKD could be decent if they are alongside significant upgrades.  The rest have to be cheap and good for team chemistry in order to be worth keeping.

If our budget is limited/average next season then I'd rather we spend more money on our key players than bringing in 20 new players with at least half of them being new squad fillers, no better than the current bunch.

14 hours ago, oafcmetty said:

Loanees all done...

33. Laurence Bilboe (2021 plus option)
30. Mackenzie Chapman (scholar)

3. Cameron Borthwick-Jackson (2021)
4. Sido Jombati (2021)
14. Dylan Fage (2022)
15. Kyle Jameson (2022)
20. Andrea Badan (2022)
22. Raphaël Diarra (2022)
32. Will Sutton (scholar)

8. Callum Whelan (2022)
16. Brice Ntambwe (2021 plus option)
23. Nicky Adams (2022)
28. Ben Hough (scholar)
43. Reece Gaskell (scholar)
59. Jack Williams (scholar)

18. Conor McAleny (2021)
19. Zak Dearnley (2022)
26. Marcus Barnes (2021)
27. Vani Da Silva (scholar)
29. Junior Luamba (scholar)

34. Harry Vaughan (scholar)

On the assumption that the scholars in the above list will be here next season, these are the only players I would keep or attempt to keep:

14. Dylan Fage (2022)

8. Callum Whelan (2022)
23. Nicky Adams (2022)

18. Conor McAleny (2021)
19. Zak Dearnley (2022)

The rest can leave or should be moved on. The likelihood of course is that some of those contracted until 2022 will be here  - Diarra, Badan, Jameson - squad fillers at best.

That leaves a huge deficit in the team with a need to bring in at least ten decent experienced professionals. Good luck with that one whoever takes up the poisoned chalice...

1 hour ago, OneSizeFitz said:

Made his return for the academy recently after 12 months out with injury. Good luck to the lad. 

Looked decent the couple of times I've seen him, if a bit on the small side (do we not feed our kids right in Oldham ?? 😀),  but good luck to him in his progression.

Very strange that they trialled a large number of player this week. Very strange considering KC is not the confirmed head coach for next season. So was that at attempt to show KC that he will get to choose?

If he doesn’t stay, then what was point?  Mo wasn’t here so couldn’t see them. So they will have to do it all again Pre season when they have signed the new coach.

1 hour ago, Pidge said:

Very strange that they trialled a large number of player this week. Very strange considering KC is not the confirmed head coach for next season. So was that at attempt to show KC that he will get to choose?

If he doesn’t stay, then what was point?  Mo wasn’t here so couldn’t see them. So they will have to do it all again Pre season when they have signed the new coach.

ALs agents mates at work I imagine. Doubt if any have been scouted and will be judged on unrealistic trial games.

But if we get a dozen free I guess Mo will be happy with his recruitment.

8 minutes ago, Littlemoor Lad said:

Curle will be intouch with pep about borrowing a few of his second string to help get this club out of the doldrums.

Happy players are the ones that don't have to travel far for daily training 

Given that the last two we had from City were Albert Rusnak and Ellis Plummer, I'm not so sure about the "happy players" bit

3 hours ago, Bobledgersheart said:

Looked decent the couple of times I've seen him, if a bit on the small side (do we not feed our kids right in Oldham ?? 😀),  but good luck to him in his progression.

Not enough sunshine, get them some Vitamin D tablets!

31 minutes ago, SweeperKeeper said:

Given that the last two we had from City were Albert Rusnak and Ellis Plummer, I'm not so sure about the "happy players" bit

Reece Wabara was City wasn’t he? And Kean Bryan - they were both decent 

Here's my overpositive view.

The close season squad is the best it has been for yearsssss. Every year recently we seem to have started on zero players and this year we have potentially got an actual manager in place. This actual manager seems to be a fan of Whelan so l'm big into that, Whelan on board next season.

Pidge is involved next year he's won me over in the second half of thevseason by actually playing Football and seems a top fit in the back three system.

Fage been good this season don't care what the haters say.

Dearnley would be good if he wasnt made of glass should be good for about 30 apps and a dozen goals bext year.

Curle pull a player out of Jameson, cost a few goals w overconfidence but he's got enough for a squad player at least.

Adams is mint.

Bahamboula what a guy they won't sell him yet he is the actual last throw of the ALMO dice.

Blackwood needs to step up big time scored one minter and a couple of tap ins squad player with potential.

DKD l wrote off by september but he had a few good months scored a couple of mint goals and notched what 10 l think off memory? Could be good im.

CBJ could be good if he could be arsed.

Badan foreign needed to adjust and at least he got stuck in was unlucky w injuries something there for me.

Somebody lve forgot probs plus two out of Da Silva, Luamba, Sutton Vaughan and the other lad to be better than OK.

l think that's ten so instead of needing 20 odd players we only need around half that so somehow squeeze a good keeper, two proper centre backs a proper centre mid or three and two strikers!!!!!

Plus all this time for a proper manager to get these guys pull a couple of loans out of our neighbours.

Smashed it boom 🙄

🚤

😘

2 hours ago, Monty Burns said:

The close season squad is the best it has been for yearsssss. Every year recently we seem to have started on zero players and this year we have potentially got an actual manager in place. This actual manager seems to be a fan of Whelan so l'm big into that, Whelan on board next season.

Pidge is involved next year he's won me over in the second half of thevseason by actually playing Football and seems a top fit in the back three system.

Dearnley would be good if he wasnt made of glass should be good for about 30 apps and a dozen goals bext year.

Curle pull a player out of Jameson, cost a few goals w overconfidence but he's got enough for a squad player at least.

Adams is mint.

Bahamboula what a guy they won't sell him yet he is the actual last throw of the ALMO dice.

Blackwood needs to step up big time scored one minter and a couple of tap ins squad player with potential.

DKD l wrote off by september but he had a few good months scored a couple of mint goals and notched what 10 l think off memory? Could be good im.

Badan foreign needed to adjust and at least he got stuck in was unlucky w injuries something there for me.

Somebody lve forgot probs plus two out of Da Silva, Luamba, Sutton Vaughan and the other lad to be better than OK.

l think that's ten so instead of needing 20 odd players we only need around half that so somehow squeeze a good keeper, two proper centre backs a proper centre mid or three and two strikers!!!!!

Plus all this time for a proper manager to get these guys pull a couple of loans out of our neighbours.

Smashed it boom 🙄

🚤

😘

I’ll have a pint of what you’ve been drinking please...

On 5/8/2021 at 6:16 PM, steveecky said:

I think Kewell must bear responsibility for this squad. His philosophy of defence doesn’t matter led to us recruiting a lot of lightweight ball players who disappear when the opposition have the ball. 

Curle/Mo went even more lightweight in midfield though playing Whelan most weeks rather than Ntambwe or, dare I say it, Garrity..... 

Not been on here for a long while - has somebody already done Lemmy, Curley & Moe ? 

Sign an experienced spine or a combination of experience or quality season long loanees and play the shite that's still on the books around them and we can go up. 

Preferably with one manager all season. I'm ambivalent about Curle - he'd do. 

New GK 

Adams/ a new FB/ Fage

Jameson/Piergianni

New decent CB 

CBJ/Fage

Keillor Dunn/Adams

Whelan

New decent CM

Bahamboula

New decent biggish striker

Dearnley if fit, another McAleny, another DKD, DKD himself play Bahamboula there.....

Vaughan and Williams to feature and maybe kick on....

Any side with four 30+ year olds in the mould of McCann/Peter Clarke right through the middle of the team would always be there or thereabouts in this division 

1 minute ago, HarryBosch said:

Sign an experienced spine or a combination of experience or quality season long loanees and play the shite that's still on the books around them and we can go up. 

New GK 

Adams/ a new FB/ Fage

Jameson/Piergianni

New decent CB 

CBJ/Fage

Keillor Dunn/Adams

Whelan

New decent CM

Bahamboula

Dearnley if fit, another McAleny, another DKD, DKD himself play Bahamboula there.....

Any side with four 30+ year olds in the mould of McCann/Peter Clarke right through the middle of the team would always be there or thereabouts in this division 

Screenshotted...

15 hours ago, Monty Burns said:

Adams is mint.

Smashed it boom 🙄

🚤

😘

Get in there Montezuma, we could do with more of it. 

Not replacing Clarkey with someone who had similar experience and leadership has been our Achilles heel,

Everything good starts with this!

18 hours ago, HarryBosch said:

New GK 

Adams/ a new FB/ Fage

Jameson/Piergianni

New decent CB 

CBJ/Fage

Keillor Dunn/Adams

Whelan

New decent CM

Bahamboula

That's what l said. Let that sink in 😂😂

Archived