Sheridan out

1 hour ago, Mayfield said:

Fully agree Shez identified his transfer targets, I don't believe he was successful in landing many of his number one choices.

Standard for many a manager. Not exclusive to us. 

Budget, availability and willingness of players to join Latics on a permanent basis (still a basket case club at that stage) all contributed to the present situation.

We signed 9 permanent players while the takeover was going through- all Shez’s choices. And all probably told by Shez that ALMO would be gone. So how does contribute to the present situation? Furthermore DR said in one of first interviews that our playing budget was healthy. 

Quality loan players were always part of the squad building plan, we need more quality.

Agreed, and who has he chosen? 4 defenders. . . 

Players signed under the new owner will be vital I expect, with a need to move on some before he can reshape the squad.

New signings and loans included he’s currently signed 13 players- I’d argue that’s more than enough to reshape the squad. 

I think you’re being very kind to him, when the reality is- he’s been given the tools and is really struggling. In part through his recruitment and in part through his capability. 

• Replies 640
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, the_mighty_bosh said:

Do I think we should build the next couple of seasons around them to have the best chance of promotion from this league?  To be honest, no.

Do I think we should get rid of them before having a clear strategy in place from the board about how we're going get out of this league?  Definitely not.

Whenever we do call time on Shez's tenure, the next manager or head coach cannot be a short term replacement.

I agree with this.

I think it will interesting to see what happens when new investors come on board I think that when we will see a new strategy put in place.

3 hours ago, the_mighty_bosh said:

Do I think we should get rid of them before having a clear strategy in place from the board about how we're going get out of this league?  Definitely not

That’s a really fair point. 

If the next guy is just told we’ll support where we can and leave you to it, then we’ll be back to square one if and when results turn. 

To be fair to frank though,  one of the first things he did say was he wanted a top class academy- for that, you need a manger who will actually play them, and give them the trust and encouragement they need. 

8 hours ago, League one forever said:

To be fair to frank though,  one of the first things he did say was he wanted a top class academy- for that, you need a manger who will actually play them, and give them the trust and encouragement they need. 

Only if they're good enough. That is also a long term project and I suspect most don't want to wait that long to return to the EFL.

1 hour ago, Lags said:

Only if they're good enough. That is also a long term project and I suspect most don't want to wait that long to return to the EFL.

54 minutes ago, League one forever said:

Chicken and egg - if you never play them. 

Rotherham has been mentioned as the type of club that we should aspire to be and I think that's realistic, but while they are basically at their limit Exeter are a good example slightly lower down of what can be achieved by believing in youngsters.

It's not about money either, Matt Taylor has said they've been "blown out of the water" when it comes to wages in League One when they've been competing for signings to improve them, but instead they are more than happy to turn to their academy first rather than accepting lower quality players from other teams.  In the 3-4-1-2 formation from Saturday, the 4 in midfield were all from their academy and they beat MK.  It's not been uncommon for them to have 5 or 6 academy players starting.

I understand to a point why Sheridan is reluctant to throw in the likes of Vaughan, Luamba and Couto too soon, but when the more experienced players aren't performing they should be the first players he turns to.

Many on here myself included said let's see where we are after 10 games.

We have away games at Boreham Wood and Woking and then Eastleigh at home on 17th Sept to get to this point.

We could very easily be in the bottom four by then.

We have won 2 games against a truly dreadful Aldershot side with a last minute goal, and against Dorking, the smallest team in the division, who should have really beaten us, and whos bubble has well and truly bust conceding 12 goals in their last 3 games.

It's inevitable I think we will have a new manager by the big Wrexham game on October 1st....I fucking hope so anyway🤞

1 hour ago, Londonboy said:

Many on here myself included said let's see where we are after 10 games.

We have away games at Boreham Wood and Woking and then Eastleigh at home on 17th Sept to get to this point.

We could very easily be in the bottom four by then.

We have won 2 games against a truly dreadful Aldershot side with a last minute goal, and against Dorking, the smallest team in the division, who should have really beaten us, and whos bubble has well and truly bust conceding 12 goals in their last 3 games.

It's inevitable I think we will have a new manager by the big Wrexham game on October 1st....I fucking hope so anyway🤞

Maybe this 10 games theory should take in pre season where it was obvious there were poor players selected and no pattern of play.

The performances in pre season mirrored exactly what is happening now. For example lower division Fylde played a passing game we couldn't live with and one player in particular who was light years better than any of ours.

11 hours ago, Lee Sinnott said:

This season is still salvageable. The right manager can have this team in and around the playoffs. Bar Notts/Chesterfield/Wrexham, it's a pretty poor league. 

With this manager, we finish between 14th and 19th IMO...

Given our injuries i don't think we are far off Chesterfield. Some actual patterns of play and tactical structure and I think we could have still got a result despite gifting 2 goals. 

The players are ok for the level but we have no clue how to defend or attack as a team. That comes from the Jurrasic Park brothers on the touch line.

On 8/18/2022 at 10:17 PM, BP1960 said:

We have a performance analyst now, it makes me wonder if Shez takes any notice of him at all.

Not any more we don’t.  Conor Marlin has joined Bradford City today.  Good promotion for him as it happens.

I guess he could be replaced although we didn’t do that with the entire Analysis Team, all of whom left in the summer.  I know two of them very well.  In fact, I’ve known one of them all his life ☺️

So for now, it seems to be just down to Shez and Tommy to sort this out.

Alternatively, maybe this means that wholesale changes are in the air? 🙏🙏🙏

1 hour ago, Inspiral_Carpet said:

Not any more we don’t.  Conor Marlin has joined Bradford City today.  Good promotion for him as it happens.

I guess he could be replaced although we didn’t do that with the entire Analysis Team, all of whom left in the summer.  I know two of them very well.  In fact, I’ve known one of them all his life ☺️

So for now, it seems to be just down to Shez and Tommy to sort this out.

Alternatively, maybe this means that wholesale changes are in the air? 🙏🙏🙏

Connor Marlin hasn't been performance analyst since the Stephen Robinson time

We do have one called Robbie Page which a quick check of the "contact us" page on the website confirms 

2 hours ago, Chaddyexile84 said:

Connor Marlin hasn't been performance analyst since the Stephen Robinson time

We do have one called Robbie Page which a quick check of the "contact us" page on the website confirms 

I'm surprised at this.
Has anybody told Sheridan the club has one?

Not sure which thread but someone posted the interview with Franks son in the recent programme. I find it worrying that the fact the Company profited from Covid-19 was the only reason the family have been able to acquire the club. I don’t think there is much scope, if any, for the family alone to invest into the club to take us forward. 

23 minutes ago, LightDN123 said:

Not sure which thread but someone posted the interview with Franks son in the recent programme. I find it worrying that the fact the Company profited from Covid-19 was the only reason the family have been able to acquire the club. I don’t think there is much scope, if any, for the family alone to invest into the club to take us forward. 

But they've said all along that they aim to broaden ownership 

Archived