MATCH: Kidderminster Harriers (H) 24/02/24 - Frank's Homecoming

4 hours ago, GlossopLatic said:

Don't for the love of god put in a low energy half hearted piss poor performance where we spend the game playing a few sideways balls with no movement ahead of us before someone launches it out for a goal kick as Kidderminster sit 10 men behind the ball and for us to lose to a set piece. Not tomorrow of all days.

High energy high tempo pass the ball quickly and lots of people making runs and when we lose the ball put the press on straight away to win it back. Their defence shouldn't get a moments peace.

And have a few more attempts on goal… only 8 at Maidenhead half that number at York 😮

3 hours ago, Dave_Og said:

Sky Sports says attendance was 9,473.  I recall at the time being rather surprised.  V Liverpool, given as 10,295.  V City , 2005 - 13.171.  V Grimsby 2004, 13,007

City game

Grimsby game

Huddersfield FA cup - 12,749

Blackpool playoffs - 12,154

QPR playoffs - 12,152

Bolton FA cup - 12,029 

Liverpool game

Northampton 2006 (some sort of ticket offer?) - 10,207

Leeds 2007 - 10,054

They're the +10k attendances in recent years.

11 minutes ago, GlossopLatic said:

If 3 of them go in then only having 8 attempts shouldn't matter. We played well at Maidenhead right?

We had eight attempts and scored three - so all good yes 👍

But not good at York though… if we’d had eight attempts who knows we may have scored more than one.

The point is that we do not have nearly enough shots in a game … oh for the halcyon days of Dickenson and Tollitt having shots from distance… 😉

Now… that Sheron bloke can hit the ball sweetly…

53 minutes ago, TheBigDog said:

We had eight attempts and scored three - so all good yes 👍

But not good at York though… if we’d had eight attempts who knows we may have scored more than one.

The point is that we do not have nearly enough shots in a game … oh for the halcyon days of Dickenson and Tollitt having shots from distance… 😉

Now… that Sheron bloke can hit the ball sweetly…

I'd rather we created more chances closer to the goal as not many people can score from far out, well Sheron can if he gets a clear sight and it sits nicely for him. I always used to cringe when Os Fane got the ball 30 yards from goal and the crowd shouted shoot you knew the corner flags were in trouble at that point.

39 minutes ago, GlossopLatic said:

I'd rather we created more chances closer to the goal as not many people can score from far out, well Sheron can if he gets a clear sight and it sits nicely for him. I always used to cringe when Os Fane got the ball 30 yards from goal and the crowd shouted shoot you knew the corner flags were in trouble at that point.

Or the floodlights!!😂

I'd go with 4-3-3 tomorrow, with the tough call of dropping Sutton for Green.

Hudson

Hobson

Raglan

Hogan

Kitching

Sheron

Conlon

Hammond

Green

Garner

Fondop

We need some energy and pace in the team to get at them from the start, so having Green playing the role that he did against Maidenhead would offer this.

I know 3 points is crucial but we need to avoid a turgid performance, which I could see the lineup that we had on Tuesday providing.

As it is scarf day, are we going to hold them up on the 64th minute and sing Frank's name, like supporters used to do in 70s and 80s.

Cringy I know before anyone says it,  but who cares, and if done right it would look really good.

2 hours ago, oafc1955 said:

I think it’ll be Sutton instead of Green and the 5 at the back routine unfortunately!

Saw a bit of a practice game on the pitch today and the only change was Lundstram for Sutton with Hammond playing more central in front of Conlon and Sheron. Only saw 5 minutes so they could have changed it!

1 hour ago, Only Blue said:

As it is scarf day, are we going to hold them up on the 64th minute and sing Frank's name, like supporters used to do in 70s and 80s.

Cringy I know before anyone says it,  but who cares, and if done right it would look really good.

64?

It'll be another tough game. They've conceded one fewer than Chesterfield and I think that broadly reflects the quality of the league this year in that it is lower overall but the gulf between the sides is narrower. I expect they'll turn up and sit back and that makes me nervous, but the crowd and occasion could be a significant, if not decisive, factor. 

I'd love a top quality performance and some goals but I'd take a (comfortable) 1-0 win and a few extra goals on Tuesday.

Think it will be the usual five centrehalfs and two holding midfielders making us hard to beat, why would Mellon try something he's not comfortable with and take it to them?, honestly think we need to stop expecting anything else other than gritty, workmanlike performances. It will be hoofed up to Fondop and Garner relentlessly tomorrow.

I don't care if we have 30% possession and win with an own goal in the 95th minute, three points is all I want out of tomorrow. It will be same team as Tuesday.

1 hour ago, yarddog73 said:

Think it will be the usual five centrehalfs and two holding midfielders making us hard to beat, why would Mellon try something he's not comfortable with and take it to them?, honestly think we need to stop expecting anything else other than gritty, workmanlike performances. It will be hoofed up to Fondop and Garner relentlessly tomorrow.

I don't care if we have 30% possession and win with an own goal in the 95th minute, three points is all I want out of tomorrow. It will be same team as Tuesday.

Agreed. 

Although, it’s worth noting that Unsy got crucified for having a very similar style to 5PM. The big difference between them though, is we compete a lot better now and are far more disciplined. Hard to beat now means hard to beat whereas it used to mean try and nick something and hold on for dear life. I also suspect that when you have 5 promotions playing a certain way- fans are more willing to accept it, because history suggests he’s successful at it. 

Just reaffirms to me- that winning trumps style every day of the week. 

11 hours ago, yarddog73 said:

Today certainly won't be El classico and it would be naive to think so, it's a National league fixture at the end of the day. But a good performance like Barnet at home will see everyone go home satisfied I just don't want to see another Hendon performance.

11 hours ago, League one forever said:

Agreed. 

Although, it’s worth noting that Unsy got crucified for having a very similar style to 5PM. The big difference between them though, is we compete a lot better now and are far more disciplined. Hard to beat now means hard to beat whereas it used to mean try and nick something and hold on for dear life. I also suspect that when you have 5 promotions playing a certain way- fans are more willing to accept it, because history suggests he’s successful at it. 

Just reaffirms to me- that winning trumps style every day of the week. 

Difference is we win more.