Micky Mellon Sack Watch

38 minutes ago, GlossopLatic said:

Don't write off next season just yet.

Exactly. We binned off about 10 games under DU, then were in dreadful form for the final 12 or so, and still nearly made the playoffs this season.

9 hours ago, penrhyn said:

Sounds to me like someone telling  it as it is . But 5k dumbfucks dont want to listen or dont understand how bad the issues are .

Maybe he is part of the issue?

He played 5 (FIVE) centre backs today… 

Where was Sachdev? Does his loan contract stipulate that he can only play one game a month or summat?

If Kitching is injured, then bring Couto back for the final game but don’t play Hogan at left back.

His holding midfielder once again was McGahey - play Sheron/Hammond/Gardner there fer chrissakes.

Why was Lundstram on the bench? He contributes far more than Conlon.

He talks of an imbalanced squad yet he had the opportunity to bring in SIX of his own players - and he started ONE of them today 😮

He has to hold his hand up and take some of the blame surely?

Edited by TheBigDog
  • Like 8

9 hours ago, oafcmetty said:

Won't do our fanbase any harm to have expectations dampened a little bit. Boo the players on, off at half time, back on for the 2nd half, and wonder why they don't perform in a (for us) meaningless game? Maybe realising that a bit of patience is needed will make our support a bit less toxic.

Fuck that, I'll just start attending matches again once they stop being so shit. 

• Like 1

Realy in two minds about replacing him on the one hand he knows who he needs to retain and release  if he can where as any new manager would need time to asses the strengths and weaknesses of the squad . Cant help thinking that the "other problems " link back to the reid  video and the prolonged punishment of the player if hes popular with the rest of the dressing room some may see it as unfair 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, peanuts2 said:

Realy in two minds about replacing him on the one hand he knows who he needs to retain and release  if he can where as any new manager would need time to asses the strengths and weaknesses of the squad . Cant help thinking that the "other problems " link back to the reid  video and the prolonged punishment of the player if hes popular with the rest of the dressing room some may see it as unfair 

Reid has a decent scoring record. Surely somebody would have taken him on loan?

8 hours ago, penrhyn said:

Sounds to me like someone telling  it as it is . But 5k dumbfucks dont want to listen or dont understand how bad the issues are .

But there's absolutely nothing to be gained from a near 15 minute rant saying the same thing over and over again. Either he thinks he has the skills to turn it round over time or he doesn't. Hard to think he has any confidence in his own ability to do so after listening to that.

• Like 5

I’m thinking his defeated attitude is because the answer to change things is a new squad and he knows he had most of this squad for another 12 months.  It has to be on his mind to get out of this by leaving. It will be interesting to see how this all pans out. 

My position on Mellon is I’m not bothered if he goes or not. I dont think the board are going to pay him off. However, he does look like a defeated man but doubt he will resign.

We are in a similar position to this season, if Mellon starts the season bad the calls for him to go will grow stronger.

He’s  obviously going to recruit a type of player an older more experienced one. More leaders names mentioned. 

Paul Lewis Ash Palmer Jeff King Dan Pyke. 

7 minutes ago, Dave_Og said:

But there's absolutely nothing to be gained from a near 15 minute rant saying the same thing over and over again. Either he thinks he has the skills to turn it round over time or he doesn't. Hard to think he has any confidence in his own ability to do so after listening to that.

It's almost as if he is demanding the club should listen to him as they did with Unsworth and spend money they don't have, if what he says is true and that's your group for next year then shut the fuck up and stop slating them publicly and crack on in making them better at their jobs which is ultimately what a manager is paid to do, get on the training pitch and earn your fucking money because lets get this right he's the best paid 'manager' in the division, (hard to believe I know). What's undeniable is this team can get results as they proved if you take away the book ends of the season, yes they threw some shockers in but that's NL for you.

I'm of the opinion now that it would be cheaper to move the manager on now, interview for the role and pick the best candidate based on interview, show them the squad they will have to work with and that would give someone a clean slate after what's gone on. Mellon has 18 players next season but only wants about 3 of them and that's an impossible task.

My final point on the matter is this, I didn't attend yesterday and don't sit in the main stand but have a friend who had a spat with Mellon, quite a mild mannered guy and basically all he's said is 'Micky stick Garner on and have a go at winning it', to which Mellon replied 'why don't you just fuck off' now I'm sorry but of this man is so up on discipline why does he think it's acceptable to behave in such a manner, it's little wonder we have disharmony in the dressing room because people are treated differently and a manager who can't control his emotions, we are not talking about giving a bit back here we are talking about a man whose chose to behave like that in front of women and children who should know better, he's gone down in my estimations after yesterday and really someone should be addressing his behaviour because it's bordering on unhinged.

Barking at fans doesn't end well generally and it's his job to quell that not fan the flames, he has an arrogance about him that doesn't serve him well and it's little wonder the players he 'trusts' have similar mannerisms.

Sorry but that's not what I want to see out of our manager, I don't care if your Pep Guardiola you shouldn't go around running your mouth off because you're having a bad day at the office and he's probably bringing the club into disrepute by doing so.

• Like 1

That interview, whilst being honest, was just about as depressing as it could possibly get!

To say all those things, true or not, during a Season Ticket sale was beyond belief. There wasn’t a single shred of positivity in anything he said….If I was a board member I’d be absolutely furious!

We all know the situation he inherited and the problems he’s faced but all the ready made excuses are coming to the fore.

I hope he turns it around and I will hold my hands up if does, but I have seen nothing at all so far to suggest that he will.

If he fails I think he will blame it on everything but himself!

• Like 5

15 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

It's almost as if he is demanding the club should listen to him as they did with Unsworth and spend money they don't have, if what he says is true and that's your group for next year then shut the fuck up and stop slating them publicly and crack on in making them better at their jobs which is ultimately what a manager is paid to do, get on the training pitch and earn your fucking money because lets get this right he's the best paid 'manager' in the division, (hard to believe I know). What's undeniable is this team can get results as they proved if you take away the book ends of the season, yes they threw some shockers in but that's NL for you.

I'm of the opinion now that it would be cheaper to move the manager on now, interview for the role and pick the best candidate based on interview, show them the squad they will have to work with and that would give someone a clean slate after what's gone on. Mellon has 18 players next season but only wants about 3 of them and that's an impossible task.

My final point on the matter is this, I didn't attend yesterday and don't sit in the main stand but have a friend who had a spat with Mellon, quite a mild mannered guy and basically all he's said is 'Micky stick Garner on and have a go at winning it', to which Mellon replied 'why don't you just fuck off' now I'm sorry but of this man is so up on discipline why does he think it's acceptable to behave in such a manner, it's little wonder we have disharmony in the dressing room because people are treated differently and a manager who can't control his emotions, we are not talking about giving a bit back here we are talking about a man whose chose to behave like that in front of women and children who should know better, he's gone down in my estimations after yesterday and really someone should be addressing his behaviour because it's bordering on unhinged.

Barking at fans doesn't end well generally and it's his job to quell that not fan the flames, he has an arrogance about him that doesn't serve him well and it's little wonder the players he 'trusts' have similar mannerisms.

Sorry but that's not what I want to see out of our manager, I don't care if your Pep Guardiola you shouldn't go around running your mouth off because you're having a bad day at the office and he's probably bringing the club into disrepute by doing so.

With all the shit that gets shouted at him and the players, it always surprises me when people get upset they give it back. 

• Like 7

So many good posts since the game.

My wife who suffers from my Latics mood swings hit it on the head this morning.

She said…

”surely he must have watched the games prior to his appointment and like the fans, known what he was taking on”.

He keeps talking about the Fylde game but we knew already the team had that shithousery in them from what we had witnessed under Unsworth.

9 hours ago, penrhyn said:

Lost respect for the guy when he challenged the interviewer on the the suggestion our season had collapsed. If he is willing to be so honest about the quality of the team, why would he try and put a positive spin on the last 10/12 games when there is simply nothing positive to take from them.

Edited by AndyB2
  • Like 2

He is going to make his remaining supporters look very silly indeed if he is allowed to continue in the role.

I'm surprised they allowed that interview to be aired in all honesty.

Edited by deyres42

20 minutes ago, mcfluff1985 said:

With all the shit that gets shouted at him and the players, it always surprises me when people get upset they give it back. 

It's a fair point but I suppose the face of the football club should be showing a little more control or is it fair game now and everyone can get involved.

Players have been disciplined and we've not seen them since on the back of poor choices, are we saying the manager is immune from Company policy now and can behave like some of the weapons in the stands do?, I'm not sure that's a good thing.

9 minutes ago, AndyB2 said:

Lost respect for the guy when he challenged the interviewer on the the suggestion our season had collapsed. If he is willing to be so honest about the quality of the team, why would he try and put a positive spin on the last 10/12 games when there is simply nothing positive to take from them.

Don't often agree with your posts but I do in this case.

He tries to justify the season didn't collapse as we played some top teams....we failed to fucking win in the last 11 games, played some of the worst football I've seen, and screwed up what was a solid play off spot at the end of February......to me that's a pretty spectacular collapse!!!

Oh and did he conveniently forget in this winless run, we managed to lose at home to the "top teams" Fylde and Wealdstone, who could have been relegated yesterday btw, and failed to beat or even score against the mighty Oxford City and D&R!!

Cut our losses....again unfortunately....and start again with someone who actually seems to want to be here.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Londonboy said:

Don't often agree with your posts but I do in this case.

He tries to justify the season didn't collapse as we played some top teams....we failed to fucking win in the last 11 games, played some of the worst football I've seen, and screwed up what was a solid play off spot at the end of February......to me that's a pretty spectacular collapse!!!

Oh and did he conveniently forget in this winless run, we managed to lose at home to the "top teams" Fylde and Wealdstone, who could have been relegated yesterday btw, and failed to beat or even score against the mighty Oxford City and D&R!!

Cut our losses....again unfortunately....and start again with someone who actually seems to want to be here.

You agree with everything i say. You just don’t want to. Best 

48 minutes ago, oafc1955 said:

That interview, whilst being honest, was just about as depressing as it could possibly get!

To say all those things, true or not, during a Season Ticket sale was beyond belief. There wasn’t a single shred of positivity in anything he said….If I was a board member I’d be absolutely furious!

We all know the situation he inherited and the problems he’s faced but all the ready made excuses are coming to the fore.

I hope he turns it around and I will hold my hands up if does, but I have seen nothing at all so far to suggest that he will.

If he fails I think he will blame it on everything but himself!

What could he have said under the circumstances? DU got rinsed, and rightly so, for rolling his turd in glitter by patronising and gaslighting supporters in his pressers.

MM inherited a massively imbalanced squad, much worse than he understood when he took on the roll. It needs a lot of work doing to it. He’s going to have to be cute in the market and wheel and deal to get a team that resembles one that fans want to see.

There isn’t no middle ground here. The positivity I see is that it will get better, once people accept the situation for what it is. 

• Like 6

I think he’s totally lost it now, he clearly lost the dressing room weeks ago, but now it seems he’s lost the fans as well with some of his actions yesterday and that can’t be undone, MM spoke about the first 100 days in an article for the Athletic https://theathletic.com/2022996/2020/08/29/dundee-united-manager-micky-mellon-scottish-premiership/

he said “If you don’t get the first 100 days right you will fail. You won’t turn it around as too much has been done in terms of first impressions and trust.” 

so maybe hes realised this now that’s it’s not worked and he doesn't believe he can turn it around, he certainly looks a defeated man the last few weeks, the interview he gave after the game was damming and he looked under huge pressure when asked about the season falling apart, I want to give him time due to his track record but now I think it’s gone past the point of no return with the fans, where do we go from here if he leaves I’m not sure !

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

It's a fair point but I suppose the face of the football club should be showing a little more control or is it fair game now and everyone can get involved.

Players have been disciplined and we've not seen them since on the back of poor choices, are we saying the manager is immune from Company policy now and can behave like some of the weapons in the stands do?, I'm not sure that's a good thing.

Not saying it's right. But it shouldn't come as a surprise. 

The players and managers have had abuse hurled at them for a while now. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Frankly Mr Shankly said:

What could he have said under the circumstances? DU got rinsed, and rightly so, for rolling his turd in glitter by patronising and gaslighting supporters in his pressers.

MM inherited a massively imbalanced squad, much worse than he understood when he took on the roll. It needs a lot of work doing to it. He’s going to have to be cute in the market and wheel and deal to get a team that resembles one that fans want to see.

There isn’t no middle ground here. The positivity I see is that it will get better, once people accept the situation for what it is. 

Is it massively imbalanced though? Other than a right back and a left midfielder we seem pretty well stocked.

Only just logged on after drinking to forget yesterday, so not sure if anyone has mentioned the two points I have issue with in MM's interview.

I was praying he wouldn't use the "tired" excuse but he did. It's embarrassing to even mention that when Wealdstone and Halifax had to plough through so many fixtures.

Also to accuse the guy interviewing him as using lazy journalism is the the most ironic comment of the lot. He was allowed to waffle on bemoaning these cherubs were knackered. Pick players who hadn't "tired" themselves out on Thursday then.

He said one word that summed up the terrible run of results and MM slates him for laziness. MM then just picked out the odd decent draw against Chesterfield for example and lazily skipped the bad draws and defeats against Oxford etc.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

Is it massively imbalanced though? Other than a right back and a left midfielder we seem pretty well stocked.

I don't it's the imbalance that's bothering people, it's the effort the players are putting in.