Takeover / New Investment - What Rumours Have You Heard?

• Replies 8.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Haribo_man said:

It would make a change from pies and hotdogs I suppose

1 hour ago, Bobledgersheart said:

What about us veggies ?

1 hour ago, TheBigDog said:

A steak in the ground? That’s a step up from the usual pie 😁

😁 OK I spelt it wrong, you know what I mean Arry..

2 hours ago, al_bro said:

I thought the FLG were going to offer a steak in the ground to the supporters. The North Stand and surrounding land could be sold on.

I thought that was the idea anyway.

The FLG do appear to have a beef about this.

5 hours ago, deyres42 said:

We see who and what is out there Gazza. A 95% debt free football club should be attractive to someone.

Yes in an ideal world someone will come in buy the club..Just look at the difficulty Simon Corney had in finding a serious buyer , and that's with  a club in Div1 with ok attendences the quality of players was better, but He struggle. If i remember he went out to china to try and convince the Chinese about us.. and then as we know the rest is history..

23 hours ago, rudemedic said:

There was a flare thrown during HT in the bar area, but I don't remember one during the game and having reviewed my videos of the pissboil at the end of the match there wasn't one thrown then. 

I did see someone on Twitter say they were affected by the flare, so they might not be going as a result. But that's it. 

Where anyone would get that to mean 1000 fans aren't going is a mystery. 

Think it was a Partington-esq attempt to deflect the blame from the current regime's scandalously inept recruitment and instead lay the blame at the door of the fans   

4 hours ago, Londonboy said:

To be honest Andy doesn't really tell us anything concrete...my intention is to retire in 5 years....about a 1% of it happening at the moment though!

How much have they raised? Who are the leaders in the group? I've been watching Latics for over 40 years and seen many false dawns....I'd just like them to come out and openly state where things are...if indeed they are anywhere!

come on lets be honest here.. they havent got the financial clout to buy out Abdallah

9 minutes ago, Frankies6 said:

The FLG doesn't have the money to buy the club,  

6 minutes ago, Frankies6 said:

come on lets be honest here.. they havent got the financial clout to buy out Abdallah

Out of interest, how much do you think the limited company, OAFC2004 Ltd is worth?

8 minutes ago, Frankies6 said:

Yes in an ideal world someone will come in buy the club..Just look at the difficulty Simon Corney had in finding a serious buyer , and that's with  a club in Div1 with ok attendences the quality of players was better, but He struggle. If i remember he went out to china to try and convince the Chinese about us.. and then as we know the rest is history..

I suppose the last time we were in such dire straits was 1969/70, finishing 19th in Div 4, and attendances averaged 4,357. That was our first season in the bottom tier after relegation. It was a shocker of a season - knocked out of the FA Cup by South Shields, and beaten 5-1 in the League Cup by Southport. Jimmy Frizzell replaced Jack Rowley that season and the following year we got promotion. The rest is history - two great managers over 24 years.

The point is, Frankie, that this club achieved great things in the past and, with the right ownership, can do so again. Nobody who looks objectively at the Lemsagam period of ownership can deny that we've gone backwards at a truly alarming rate, and at the same time the heart and identity of the club has been ripped apart. He has to go, and even if it takes another relegation to get him out it will be worth it, providing stable and sensible owners can be found. I refuse to believe they are not out there. 

5 hours ago, al_bro said:

I thought the FLG were going to offer a steak in the ground to the supporters. The North Stand and surrounding land could be sold on.

I thought that was the idea anyway.

2 hours ago, Worcester Owl said:

Getting the ground back is key, and if FLG can fillet to capacity so much the better. The sooner the current regime's rump is shown the door, the better. 

Maybe were could get Chris Porter(house) back. He'd pepper the opposition's goal. 

4 hours ago, Worcester Owl said:

The point is, Frankie, that this club achieved great things in the past and, with the right ownership, can do so again.

Just like most clubs then really

4 hours ago, Worcester Owl said:

I refuse to believe they are not out there.

Based on absolutely nothing then really.

17 minutes ago, Dave_Og said:

How do you rate the chances of the current owner turning things round and at least stabilising the club? 

Now there is an interesting question for a survey.  I'm guessing even certain on this forum who are known to be soft on AL, would not give good odds on the Lemmy's turning this ship away from the rocks.

1 hour ago, Pidge said:

Now there is an interesting question for a survey.  I'm guessing even certain on this forum who are known to be soft on AL, would not give good odds on the Lemmy's turning this ship away from the rocks.

90% will say he can't.

15 hours ago, lookersstandandy said:

Out of interest, how much do you think the limited company, OAFC2004 Ltd is worth?

Nominal fee of say £1 for change of ownership and liabilities would be my guess.  (if it was a real business in the real world that is)

5 minutes ago, kowenicki said:

Nominal fee of say £1 for change of ownership and liabilities would be my guess.  (if it was a real business in the real world that is)

It has one valuable asset, football league membership. For now. 

23 hours ago, Frankies6 said:

Shit peas ??🙄🙄...Have i hit a nerve for calling fans deluded if they think we have a queue of investors wanting to buy us ? 

If there was people interested in buying Bury and Bolton over the summer and Macclesfield currently there'll be people wanting to buy Oldham. Didn't someone contact Abdallah a few months ago seeing if he would sell the club and Abdallah refused?

26 minutes ago, kowenicki said:

Agreed.... which makes @Frankies6's assertion that they [the FLG] can't 'buy' it, a nonsense..... buying it isn't the issue, running it is. Rochdale & Accrington do alright. There is no reason why we can't be well run and live within our means, esp if he land/ground is reunited with the club from the clutches of the asset strippers. It just takes a competent businessman/woman who places the interests of Oldham Athletic first, to lead us..... something we haven't enjoyed for a very very long time.

11 hours ago, whittles left foot said:

Just like most clubs then really

Based on absolutely nothing then really.

Things and talk like this feels extremely defeatist and with that brings apathy. The feeling of “Fear” that nobody else will want to take Oldham Athletic on if Abdallah “walks away” or “puts the Club up for sale” certainly cannot and does not mean we should sit back and watch it all unfold.

I have done some digging and see following articles of consortiums whom are or have been interested in League One or lower Football Clubs over the past 6 months. A couple were successful, others weren’t but certainly shows that there is interest out there:

https://talksport.com/football/efl/561927/liverpool-dirk-kuyt-consortium-close-buying-bolton-wanderers/ - Dutch Consortium interested in lower league Clubs. Rumoured to be Bolton Wanderers – June 2019

https://www.burytimes.co.uk/news/17614534.several-parties-interested-in-buying-bury-fc-fans-group-says/ - A number of groups interested in Bury prior to expulsion – August 2019

https://www.swindonadvertiser.co.uk/news/17917935.us-firm-makes-7m-bid-buy-swindon-town-club-denies-knowledge/ - Consortium bids for Swindon Town - September 2019

https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/sport/football/exclusive-former-arsenal-england-star-3409789 - Consortium Interested in Bristol Rovers – October 2019

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-7549297/Star-studded-consortium-bid-League-One-Wycombe-Wanderers.html - Same Dutch Consortium interested in Wycombe Wanderers – October 2019

https://www.derbyshiretimes.co.uk/sport/football/local-consortium-set-for-takeover-talks-with-chesterfield-fc-1-10041564 - Consortium interested in Chesterfield – October 2019

https://www.coventrytelegraph.net/sport/football/football-news/coventry-city-takeover-interest-17196230 - Consortium interested in Coventry City – November 2019

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/50338348 - Consortium wants to buy Macclesfield Town – November 2019

Clubs Sold in Previous 6 months:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/48188086 - Port Vale - May 2019

https://www.nottinghampost.com/sport/football/football-news/notts-county-sold-danish-consortium-3141440 - Notts County - June 2019

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/48624659 - Blackpool - June 2019

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2019/08/28/bolton-wanderers-saved-club-sold-tofootball-ventures/ - Bolton Wanderers – August 2019

Now, the issue certainly exists that if he goes, we might end up with “a Ken Anderson” or “a Steve Dale” – I don’t agree with this either however. Following Bury’s expulsion from the Football League, I would trust (perhaps wrongly) the EFL to be thorough or certainly more thorough in their checks. As well as this though, supporters can protect the Club to a degree by doing their own due diligence on potential owners and reporting on their financial history whilst being in dialogue with the FSA and the EFL with any concerns.

To suggest and simply rubbish any idea of potential consortiums being interested in a Football League Club, one that has lost its way dramatically over the last quarter of a century but was one of the founder members of the Premier League is quite easy to do. However, when you look into it, there are plenty of people interested.

This and the admission of the Club Lawyer Adam Moralee at the Fans Forum stating:

“There are plenty of people who want to buy Football Clubs, especially in and around big cities such as Manchester and London”

The issue for us has been that Blitz/Gazal stripped the land from the club / wanted too much for the land for any prospective buyer. Anyone prepared to buy the badge had to be filthily wealthy and/or have a structured medium/long term plan to make the club competitive again.... or else they were incompetent, unintelligent dreamers. It quickly became clear to me what we had on our hands. I never believed Corney saying, "I'll only sell to the right person", the right person was the one who would pay him the most for something that was worthless. It was almost inevitable they were going to be incompetent, unintelligent dreamers. While all along, Blitz/Gazal sit there with their appreciating asset. Absolute c%#ts. All of them. The sooner we're rid of the lot of them, Blitz, Gazal, Marco & Mo, the better..... and Barry can f@5k off n'all....

Archived