• Replies 620
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, LightDN123 said:

Mo is the problem. Curle is still absolutely shit. 

There's no question that his record with us isn't good (W5 D3 L12 in the league I believe).  However...

Carlisle give him 3 and a half years and he takes them from the League Two relegation zone to the League Two playoffs.

Northampton give him just over 2 years and he takes them from the League Two relegation zone into League One (where they struggled, although that's still a long way above where we are at the moment).

We give him 20 games and a lot of hurdles before deciding that he isn't good enough.  If Curle is absolutely shit I dread to think what we as a club are, because we are a lot worse.

4 minutes ago, the_mighty_bosh said:

There's no question that his record with us isn't good (W5 D3 L12 in the league I believe).  However...

Carlisle give him 3 and a half years and he takes them from the League Two relegation zone to the League Two playoffs.

Northampton give him just over 2 years and he takes them from the League Two relegation zone into League One (where they struggled, although that's still a long way above where we are at the moment).

We give him 20 games and a lot of hurdles before deciding that he isn't good enough.  If Curle is absolutely shit I dread to think what we as a club are, because we are a lot worse.

We don’t have time to wait 2 to 3 years for Curle to change it around. We need to win a few games to keep us up so we are worth something to any future buyer. I am not one for planning for the short term, but does it really matter when all our squad leaves at the end of the season ? Curle can’t build anything and he’s losing games in the meantime. He’s also very dull and that shows in his football. The fact he didn’t prioritise getting a striker when McAleny left is enough for me. 

3 minutes ago, LightDN123 said:

We don’t have time to wait 2 to 3 years for Curle to change it around. We need to win a few games to keep us up so we are worth something to any future buyer. I am not one for planning for the short term, but does it really matter when all our squad leaves at the end of the season ? Curle can’t build anything and he’s losing games in the meantime. He’s also very dull and that shows in his football. The fact he didn’t prioritise getting a striker when McAleny left is enough for me. 

What will a new manager do with the same group of, poor, injured, youth, inconsistant and demoralised players ?

15 minutes ago, the_mighty_bosh said:

I personally think he’ll turn it round as he has a good track record but it’s hard to see atm. He’s been poor, was worse than kewell with same players and the start this year as bad as anyone under ALMO. He’s killed the attacking threat and not made us more solid. So far his record is very worrying and if it continues we risk a real uphill battle to stay up when I think the team certainly isn’t the worst in the league. He def deserves at least another 10 -15 games but if we are still in the bottom 2 at that point I’m not sure sticking with him and hoping he turns it round will be right option. 

17 minutes ago, LightDN123 said:

He kind of did and went after hope. He was his main target but agree I’d have prob wanted to see another striker in over other positions with dearnley’s injury record 

On 9/5/2021 at 2:26 PM, Chaddyexile84 said:

I took my friend yesterday who was not only weird enough to want to go (she’s a Geordie) but also enjoyed it, anyway at one point I muttered 

“Keillor-Dunne hopeless yet again” 

She asked whos that? I replied “number 10” her response?

”Oh I’d not noticed him” 

Same with my brother who watched on ifollow. I asked him after the match what he thought of Bowden.

"Where did he play?" was his answer. 

23 hours ago, Careca9 said:

I personally think he’ll turn it round as he has a good track record but it’s hard to see atm. He’s been poor, was worse than kewell with same players and the start this year as bad as anyone under ALMO. He’s killed the attacking threat and not made us more solid. So far his record is very worrying and if it continues we risk a real uphill battle to stay up when I think the team certainly isn’t the worst in the league. He def deserves at least another 10 -15 games but if we are still in the bottom 2 at that point I’m not sure sticking with him and hoping he turns it round will be right option. 

That's probably because we are currently playing the same defenders we had last season. The players he brought in to shore up the defence are all long term injuries. Somebody screwed up on transfer deadline day with that striker (we were told it was a striker who had his picture taken in the ground), whose contract looks like it was turned down by the EFL. Obviously people at the club can't read. The rules are simple.

A squad of no more than 23

Maximum pay £800pw

No bonuses

No loans costing a fee

A contract no longer than 12 months

They shipped two out, but didn't, or couldn't replace them.

Curle has not had a chance to sign decent players and has had his hands tied behind his back. We've ended up with players no-one else wants because of their injury problems. We have also missed out on players wanting longer contracts. On top of that our reputation is toxic.

4 hours ago, al_bro said:

That's probably because we are currently playing the same defenders we had last season. The players he brought in to shore up the defence are all long term injuries. Somebody screwed up on transfer deadline day with that striker (we were told it was a striker who had his picture taken in the ground), whose contract looks like it was turned down by the EFL. Obviously people at the club can't read. The rules are simple.

A squad of no more than 23

Maximum pay £800pw

No bonuses

No loans costing a fee

A contract no longer than 12 months

They shipped two out, but didn't, or couldn't replace them.

Curle has not had a chance to sign decent players and has had his hands tied behind his back. We've ended up with players no-one else wants because of their injury problems. We have also missed out on players wanting longer contracts. On top of that our reputation is toxic.

Curle wouldnt have signed or would not be staying if he hadn’t been given a fair chance or promises not kept. He’s experienced enough to know what he could do and the fact he’s here suggests to me what he was given to work with shouldn’t be resulting in a bottom two position. 

1 hour ago, Ritchierich said:

This thread and frankly any thread to do with the team or manager just feels so irrelevant sadly

so you think curle took the role knowing he had no chance this season and is basically waiting to be sacked to take the payout or happy to bravely fight against the drop 

1 minute ago, Careca9 said:

so you think curle took the role knowing he had no chance this season and is basically waiting to be sacked to take the payout or happy to bravely fight against the drop 

no I think he just wanted to manage a football team. If he gets sacked we’ll still get dozens of applicants to replace him.

it’s all irrelevant at this point

Just now, Ritchierich said:

no I think he just wanted to manage a football team. If he gets sacked we’ll still get dozens of applicants to replace him.

it’s all irrelevant at this point

not at all. If we are bottom two it will harm his chances or a return to league management. There’s no way any manager leading a team to bottom of league is confident of being picked up again 

1 minute ago, Careca9 said:

not at all. If we are bottom two it will harm his chances or a return to league management. There’s no way any manager leading a team to bottom of league is confident of being picked up again 

What’s that got to do with anything? I don’t care about Curle or anyone who replaces him, I care about the survival of our club. Right now, the manager and players are irrelevant. Bury got promoted the season before they disappeared 

6 minutes ago, Ritchierich said:

What’s that got to do with anything? I don’t care about Curle or anyone who replaces him, I care about the survival of our club. Right now, the manager and players are irrelevant. Bury got promoted the season before they disappeared 

U started by commenting on my post to say that the thread on the manager is irrelevant. I disagree as although behind the scenes are a mess he has still been given a chance to put together something that should not be bottom 2. So it is kind of relevant as I don’t think he’d have taken the role on if he hadn’t been given a certain budget or freedom to sign his players. He’s not doing a good job and this shouldn’t be overlooked as joined up the ownership mess

17 hours ago, Careca9 said:

Curle wouldnt have signed or would not be staying if he hadn’t been given a fair chance or promises not kept. He’s experienced enough to know what he could do and the fact he’s here suggests to me what he was given to work with shouldn’t be resulting in a bottom two position. 

We wouldn't be in the bottom two with a fully fit squad, or nearly fully fit. The 1st. two games we played well, especially at Bradford and I really thought things had improved. Then a few injuries and the debacle at Bristol. More serious injuries have followed and we are now depending on three light weight kids in midfield and last seasons defence, with a very, very slow Sheehan, who I doubt ever expected to play. Maybe we have the injuries because of Curles training methods. I don't know.

Swindon started the season in a far worse situation than us with I think, only 4 or 5 players signed up. They are now 4th. in L2 with a new owner. I think a few clubs helped them out big time with loans because of their situation.

5 minutes ago, al_bro said:

We wouldn't be in the bottom two with a fully fit squad, or nearly fully fit. The 1st. two games we played well, especially at Bradford and I really thought things had improved. Then a few injuries and the debacle at Bristol. More serious injuries have followed and we are now depending on three light weight kids in midfield and last seasons defence, with a very, very slow Sheehan, who I doubt ever expected to play. Maybe we have the injuries because of Curles training methods. I don't know.

Swindon started the season in a far worse situation than us with I think, only 4 or 5 players signed up. They are now 4th. in L2 with a new owner. I think a few clubs helped them out big time with loans because of their situation.

Think the key to a recovery on the pitch is a new owner (improbable sadly) and a decent reputation amongst the footballing community (impossible under AL).  I do hope as we all do I am sure that we can somehow manage to turn things round on the field to stave off any threat of relegation.   

20 hours ago, al_bro said:

I was thinking the same re. Training methods. I'm sure we had a similar situation a few years ago where half the squad had similar injuries and it was down to being pushed to hard to often and too soon. The amount of players this season who have gone down holding their knee or hamstring is too much of a coincidence for me

Archived