• Replies 620
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, bigfatjoe1 said:

...in which case, Mick Wadsworth.....?

Strange one - I remember being in the canteen at college when he was announced and thinking “who”?

think we were great in his first game against Wycombe?

then don’t really remember much else about him till Dowie took over from being his assistant 

No manager can be successful under these owners.

However, some of the managers we've had under them have showed glimpses that they could do something in spite of the impossibilities of the job.

I've yet to see that from Curle.. and the situation is desperate.

6 minutes ago, Chaddyexile84 said:

Strange one - I remember being in the canteen at college when he was announced and thinking “who”?

then don’t really remember much else about him till Dowie took over from being his assistant 

I bet Danny Boshell remembers him...

On 3/5/2019 at 9:04 PM, Matt said:

The 3PPW average column, is a point value on all games given that 3 points are for a win and 1 for a draw - regardless of competition or era.

image.png

25 minutes ago, Chaddyexile84 said:

Statistically our best manager in the third tier since 2000, yet nobody has good memories about him or that time

On 9/8/2021 at 5:11 PM, al_bro said:

That's probably because we are currently playing the same defenders we had last season. The players he brought in to shore up the defence are all long term injuries. Somebody screwed up on transfer deadline day with that striker (we were told it was a striker who had his picture taken in the ground), whose contract looks like it was turned down by the EFL. Obviously people at the club can't read. The rules are simple.

A squad of no more than 23

Maximum pay £800pw

No bonuses

No loans costing a fee

A contract no longer than 12 months

They shipped two out, but didn't, or couldn't replace them.

Curle has not had a chance to sign decent players and has had his hands tied behind his back. We've ended up with players no-one else wants because of their injury problems. We have also missed out on players wanting longer contracts. On top of that our reputation is toxic.

And who's fault is all of the above ?

2 hours ago, League one forever said:

It’s blatantly obvious Curle wants to go. 

What coach keeps the same system when you keep getting hammered? 

Keep your head down, play the same system- wait for the sack- and a nice 20 month pay off. 

No this is him trying. I’ve heard plenty of stories of people trying to get sacked. Wellens comes to mind with his rank tactics in last few games of his tenure. But this, no, he doesn’t come across as a guy who has given up. This is him trying his best and he’s poor, very poor. Defensive and pedestrian teams trying to control games. No quick play. Kewell was a bit of a maverick but got more out of worse players under same circumstances 

32 minutes ago, Careca9 said:

No this is him trying. I’ve heard plenty of stories of people trying to get sacked. Wellens comes to mind with his rank tactics in last few games of his tenure. But this, no, he doesn’t come across as a guy who has given up. This is him trying his best and he’s poor, very poor. Defensive and pedestrian teams trying to control games. No quick play. Kewell was a bit of a maverick but got more out of worse players under same 

Kewell had far better players at his disposal than Curle had today, I'm not defending Curle as he looks clueless and shot but in his defence he is in charge of the worst group of players I've ever seen, shocking squad of players who would probably get relegated out of the Conference. 

Curle is just the side story though the problem is far bigger than him and any protests now need to be ramped up to another level. I don't even care who manages us anymore it is almost irrelevant. 

Embargoed, one of the lowest budgets in the league, the club’s name dragged through the mud, and picking up scraps from Scunthorpe and Southend. To think some of the Football Manager experts on here thought we should be challenging regardless. 😅

That after game summary from the coach was totally predictable and embarrassing…….

Come on Curle lad…give it up ffs!!!

I don’t think it would make much difference whether he stays or not but that’s 7 goals conceded in two games without reply and just three stuffy points from 21.

Regardless of the situation he finds himself in, he can’t survive for much longer….surely!!

On 9/10/2021 at 3:50 PM, Dave_Og said:

OK, I give in. It's all Kewell and Curle's fault. 

Just checked and I definitely didn't say that and you will be well aware I have been banging the "Abdallah is an idiot" drum for years and was told by many on this forum that I was wrong. But Curle has lost 9 out of 10 and has gone on record to say he has been in charge of recruitment and team selection. 9 defeats from 10 is sackable form at any level. He shouldn't have been allowed back on the team coach on Saturday...

I'm firmly of the belief that the manager is irrelevant in terms of anything longer than the immediate short term.  I haven't looked into Curle's history, but has his success come with clubs who had no budget?  He seems to want to play a way this group isn't capable of. We may have a few first teamers out but how many of them, other than Bahamboula, will truly make a difference when they return??

Our league position is so desperate, I wouldn't be averse to taking a totally short term view for the rest of the season and appoint a manager that has a track record of avoiding relegation. Someone who can come in and teach this group how to kick and foul and hoof their way to enough 1-0 wins to finish 22nd.  No potency up front, no influence or control in midfield and no leadership and organisation at the back, with no real sign that any of this will be addressed in January. We are in serious trouble.

No manager can be successful under these owners.

But is it unreasonable to suggest that the manager has some influence?

I've only seen the Bradford game this season, which was two poor sides, but we should have got a point.

Taking into account all circumstances, we need a manager who can get the best out of what he's got.  From those that were there, did the team look particularly motivated on Saturday? Were the tactics any good?  From the highlights the first two goals barely indicated there were any Latics players in our half. Is Adams still being expected to bomb up the wing or was he played in midfield (where he played when he won promotion under Curle).  These are things which Curle surely has an influence over.

15 minutes ago, nzlatic said:

I'm firmly of the belief that the manager is irrelevant in terms of anything longer than the immediate short term.  I haven't looked into Curle's history, but has his success come with clubs who had no budget?  He seems to want to play a way this group isn't capable of. We may have a few first teamers out but how many of them, other than Bahamboula, will truly make a difference when they return??

Our league position is so desperate, I wouldn't be averse to taking a totally short term view for the rest of the season and appoint a manager that has a track record of avoiding relegation. Someone who can come in and teach this group how to kick and foul and hoof their way to enough 1-0 wins to finish 22nd.  No potency up front, no influence or control in midfield and no leadership and organisation at the back, with no real sign that any of this will be addressed in January. We are in serious trouble.

Here you go 

Mansfield - relegated into League 2 but took them to the play off final the next season but lost - sacked for alleged bullying but won a case against the club

Chester City - sacked after a losing run of 11 games

Torquay United - short term contract - relegated and contract not renewed

QPR - as assistant to Neil Warnock - sacked with Neil Warnock

Notts County - sacked (bit odd mind as Notts County had gone 22 consecutive Away games without defeat)

Carlisle United - led them to the play off final but lost - left the club

Northampton Town - won the League Two Play-Off Final

sacked the next season after a run of 1 win in 10 games 

3 League Two play off finals of which he won one so there must be something in his locker

Disappointing though that I don't think he will replicate that at our place with this squad of players

45 minutes ago, nzlatic said:

We had one in Dino if he'd been kept on.

15 minutes ago, tGWB said:

Here you go 

Mansfield - relegated into League 2 but took them to the play off final the next season but lost - sacked for alleged bullying but won a case against the club

Chester City - sacked after a losing run of 11 games

Torquay United - short term contract - relegated and contract not renewed

QPR - as assistant to Neil Warnock - sacked with Neil Warnock

Notts County - sacked (bit odd mind as Notts County had gone 22 consecutive Away games without defeat)

Carlisle United - led them to the play off final but lost - left the club

Northampton Town - won the League Two Play-Off Final

sacked the next season after a run of 1 win in 10 games 

3 League Two play off finals of which he won one so there must be something in his locker

Disappointing though that I don't think he will replicate that at our place with this squad of players

Interesting how many long runs of defeats he has presided over. Sort of makes you worry that he can “loose the changing room”. 

Can he really manage to stop this terrible run of defeats?  I guess the question is, can anybody?

52 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

Can't be much fun playing when the supporters are just baying for blood most of the game.

Keef is rubbish though and should be removed as soon as possible.

To be fair, on Saturday there was a loud "we play in blue and tangerine" song going round as Orient scored their first, and straight after the goal the singing only got louder for quite a long time as well.  And after a big balls up in the corner near us where Hope miscontrolled it out of play or something, I saw lots of fans at the front shouting encouragement to them all. 

Opinion on Curly Keef, now let me see. Team selection, not good. Team formation, not good. Free kicks on the halfway line going sideways, not good. Throw in level with the oppositions six yard box not going into their box, not good. Getting to the oppositions touch line then passing the ball back instead of crossing it, not good. Midfield players running along side their opponent instead of tackling, not good. Not pressing opposing defenders on the ball, not good. Need I go on? Tactically inept.

Archived