11 minutes ago, Boys in Blue said:

Signing at least one player for a key position (keeper) on more money than an embargo would allow tells you that he knew it was coming 

Considering that keeper couldn’t play for 5 games that attempt at circumventing the embargo worked a dream…

• Replies 620
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, League one forever said:

100%

You took the words right out my mouth. 

The football/manager/tactics are the least of our problems. 

I find it staggering that people STILL try to assess as if normal rules apply. 

IMO KCs tactics are lot to do with the demise.

No need to repeat them, you could see for yourself today.

20 minutes ago, Boys in Blue said:

Surely Curle’s actions in bringing in 5 of his own choices before the embargo came in shows that he was aware that it was coming.

Signing at least one player for a key position (keeper) on more money than an embargo would allow tells you that he knew it was coming 

That doesn't make sense. Why would anyone do that, knowing they won't be able to play?

25 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

IMO KCs tactics are lot to do with the demise.

No need to repeat them, you could see for yourself today.

He didn't get us relegated because of a stupid model brought in by the 'new' owners.

He wasn't the only one who had to deal with selection and recruitment interference.

He is the fourth/fifth manager in this division - i've lost count.

Did he know about the embargo?

The demise has much deeper roots. The immediate problem might be partly his fault, but the demise? No, that started a long time ago and has got progressively worse with each owner. The current ones are incredibly incompetent and arrogant. 

Under normal circumstances Curle would have been gone after that display today but these are not normal circumstances.
Regardless of injuries and squad weakness that and previous performances this season have been nowhere near good enough.

I’ve never seen such a poor group of players in our blue shirt!!

7 hours ago, mcfluff1985 said:

He has recruited his own players. In his defence 6 who would be starting 11 weren't available today. 

We have some decent players.

It's the tactics. All this tippy tippy sideways, backwards passing gets us nowhere. If you're playing little short passes then it needs to be done quickly. Vaughan came on and was one of the only ones, apart from Fage, who looked to turn and drive forwards with the ball.

If you are playing short passes with no movement in front of you, it isn't rocket science, at that pace you aren't going to be creating any chances or opening any gaps. It's too slow. 

Adams has a very high assist rate through his career. Need to be moving the ball out wide quickly and getting bodies in the box. I'm not talking long ball just moving it quicker.

Feel a bit sorry for Hope. He's had one clear cut chance I can remember this season. The ball gets walloped up after a few minutes of pointless passing and then he is trying to hold it up with 2 or 3 defenders pressing him. He has little support. 

We had 3 technically good midfielders starting today, nobody to do the dirty stuff and put a foot in.

Ollie Banks folds like wet cardboard under pressure but we gave him space constantly.

Pidge was impressive again, Jameson also did alright. 

Fage MOTM for me.

It's the tactics from KC, not the players in my opinion

Our transition play is way to slow... by the time we are in the other half the  opposition have got bodies behind the ball we then go sidewards then back to Pidge or other defender and then we start all over again..way to predictable..

8 hours ago, Dave_Og said:

Owen left in March. He knew for sure that loan would still be outstanding now? 

Barry Owen said on his @BPASinterview (released 17th May) that we were under an embargo. Curle hadn't signed his two year deal by then. Curle also said at the fan Q&A in August that he knew what his budget would be and was happy with the constraints he was working with...

40 minutes ago, Lee Sinnott2 said:

He isn't THE issue, but he is certainly AN issue at the moment...

Yep this sums it up perfectly for me.

He's clearly had a lot of things to deal with but he has previous experience of making teams hard to beat under difficult circumstances at this level (see Carlisle).  Expecting him to build a promotion winning team under the current embargo restrictions is obviously too much, but building a competent League Two outfit that can survive isn't.

There are WAY bigger issues at our club but he can't be without any  responsibility for the way the team play.

I have sympathy for him and I genuinely believe the best way for him to save face would be to resign before he gets dragged down further with us, although with the 2 year deal I could see him waiting to be sacked.  I think Curle has been naive/hoodwinked in thinking that he could turn us around and it is being shown in such a painful manner that it's nigh on impossible.

I'd be amazed if we get anyone with a similar CV of course, nor do I think they'd do any better as there are so many issues to deal with at our club. 

58 minutes ago, Lee Sinnott2 said:

Barry Owen said on his @BPASinterview (released 17th May) that we were under an embargo. Curle hadn't signed his two year deal by then. Curle also said at the fan Q&A in August that he knew what his budget would be and was happy with the constraints he was working with...

Yep. And I seem to recall you were convinced by Kewell saying he had complete autonomy. Modern football manager speak is less honest and open than cold War era Pravda. 

6 hours ago, JohnnyPimp said:

Anyone believing that the manager is the issue needs to give their head a wobble.

Oh, I'd better wobble my head then, he brought DKD on for the second half instead of Vaughan who should have been on from the start, wobble, wobble.

5 hours ago, Frankies6 said:

Our transition play is way to slow... by the time we are in the other half the  opposition have got bodies behind the ball we then go sidewards then back to Pidge or other defender and then we start all over again..way to predictable..

Sheehan literally has no legs, strolls round like he's on the park on a Sunday morning, slows everything down and offers nothing, probably end up as manager when Curle gets fired off or number 2 to Mo.

I can understand at our level a club gambling with managers, hoping a new young manager will turn out to be great, hoping a more experienced manager will repeat earlier success, but there has to be enthusiasm!  I do not see the excitement, energy and general “giving a S—t” about the results that previous managers have had.  The impression I have with our present incumbent in the job, is that he knows the issues, but still came for the 2 yr contract. 

2 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

Sheehan literally has no legs, strolls round like he's on the park on a Sunday morning, slows everything down and offers nothing, probably end up as manager when Curle gets fired off or number 2 to Mo.

Sheehan was KCs choice as number 2.  I hear that as usual there were financial issues with having an assistant, but Mo was persuaded he could also still be a player and hence was actually a money saving.

I wouldn’t be that shocked if Curle signed a contract after being promised the loan would be paid off over the summer. They’re cheap salesmen - promise whatever you need to to get past today’s problem. Don’t worry about delivering on it, promise something else further down the line. 

9 hours ago, oafc1955 said:

Under normal circumstances Curle would have been gone after that display today but these are not normal circumstances.
Regardless of injuries and squad weakness that and previous performances this season have been nowhere near good enough.

I’ve never seen such a poor group of players in our blue shirt!!

It's not so much poor players as poor attitude. 

The loaness look as if they don't want to be here. Taking Whelan off who always gives 100% in favour of others who were swanning around without a care was a disgraceful piece of bad management, as was the weird decision to play Jamieson in some kind of centre back/full back/wing back position. No wonder he looked all at sea. He had a decent game at centre back during the week yet was left to fend for himself on the left while 2 players covered the right side.

Totally bewildering.

Hope needs dropping, his contribution has been abysmal all season. Curle says he will score goals though so he's always in the team. A blinkered manager IMO.

11 hours ago, BP1960 said:IMO KCs tactics are lot to do with the demise.

3 hours ago, Lee Sinnott2 said:He isn't THE issue, but he is certainly AN issue at the moment...

@BP1960makes a valid point

@Lee Sinnott2sums it up perfectly.

And it has to be said that Curle has been dealt a tough hand with the players at his disposal.

However, even allowing for the missing players, too many of those on the pitch are simply not doing the basics.

A certain John Sheridan used to say:

”Take care of the ball” we simply don’t do this…

13 minutes ago, TheBigDog said:

Remember him having a right to do with a fan in the paddock who was having a go at Gary McDonald 

“it’s not all about running around like Davies - it’s about looking after the ball” 🤣

Happier days 

2 hours ago, TheBigDog said:

With Bowden, Bettache and Vaughan, I think our midfield is potentially better than last season's when it comes to taking care of the ball.  Even Whelan has improved on that front.

Up front and out wide is completely another matter.

32 minutes ago, SweeperKeeper said:

With Bowden, Bettache and Vaughan, I think our midfield is potentially better than last season's when it comes to taking care of the ball.  Even Whelan has improved on that front.

Sadly the change this season whereby referees seem to be allowing more robust play does not benefit our current midfielders.

There were a number of challenges yesterday, particularly on Vaughan and Luamba, that would have been fouls last season. The two are young and will (need to) add strength to their general play.

Whereas I agree that Bettache and Bowden are skilful players what is more of a concern is that they are too often caught in possession giving the ball away far too easily.

I’ve yet to see what Hope brings to the team and DKD still flits in and out of the game. Luamba worked hard all game but we cannot expect him to be leading the line just yet. Bahamboula was a huge miss yesterday.

Our injuries have hit hard and it seems that none of the missing players will be back anytime soon. 😮

1 hour ago, SweeperKeeper said:

The midfield three are better than last year but its evident that barring Pidge & Bahamboula we are much weaker, and yesterday without Bahamboula we had nothing for our midfielders to hit.

You can use whatever system you want but if the players just arn't good enough then no system will work. Its a sad summary but its true.

Archived