Club statement from Abdallah its everyone elses fault but his.

3 hours ago, PeteG said:

Agreed, but if we weren't 91st in the football league the protests would be nothing like they are. So when the national media suggest it's down to results we shouldn't be shocked and in uproar that they don't fully get it.

That argument is moot.

The protests are exacerbated by the results but the reason for the protests is that AL and ML have screwed up so often over the past few years that the club is dying irrespective of results.

• Replies 405
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

Would an Oldham Tameside club work out if say the whole set up was moved to Curzon where there's great training facilities and scope for ground development ?

After all Oldham rugby often play at Stalybridge?

Wouldn't suit me personally as I live a stones throw from BP, but some may think it acceptable..https://images.app.goo.gl/8orcbonrbPAJMPcA6

Most fans won't entertain anything along the lines of mergers or pheonix clubs.

On paper they always look like a financial win win but in reality do bury, Curzen or Rochdale want to be part of another club.

Just now, maximus1267 said:

On paper they always look like a financial win win but in reality do bury, Curzen or Rochdale want to be part of another club.

when the Manchester North End proposal was first suggested it was a different time.

imagine a club comprising Bury, Rochdale and Oldham with potential 15 to 20 thousand attendances in the Championship. 

We could even ask Salford to join with their millions 😎

1 hour ago, maximus1267 said:

I know its tough to accept but if football keeps going the way it is, maybe the only way to survive in such football congested areas as Greater Manchester would be to join forces and become one.

I know its hard to comprehend but harder for me is no Oldham Athletic.

You get that this make no sense, right?

1 minute ago, TheBigDog said:

when the Manchester North End proposal was first suggested it was a different time.

imagine a club comprising Bury, Rochdale and Oldham with potential 15 to 20 thousand attendances in the Championship. 

We could even ask Salford to join with their millions 😎

And where would this club play?

2 minutes ago, maximus1267 said:

Yeah exactly. You can't apply the laws of the economics to a football club in general.

Fans don't behave like rational consumers in some theoretical/abstract marketplace - their brand loyalty literally knows no bounds. Likewise for owners who regularly take decisions to the annoyance of their customer base. That wouldn't happen in any other industry.

A merger might work out for PC World and Currys but a football club is far too rooted.

I`m ignoring the last few comments about "merged clubs" because it's utter nonsense and yet another sideshow we can do without. The owner is clearly rattled by recent events and it doesn't surprise me. "Loss of face" was always going to be something that rattled him - it's a cultural thing and those who have travelled eastward will understand. I think many fans are of the same opinion; our owner does not appear to be proficient at running a football club (and yes I`m being diplomatic). He needs to go.

Some people are still saying "Mo's the problem" etc. - he's not - the owner is the problem. All energy should be focussed on a change of ownership - nothing else really matters in the greater scheme of things. Stay focussed, stay legal (most of the time) and get him out.

Finally, I take my hat off to the young men who decided to invade the pitch. Sometimes you know, the law has to be broken to achieve the greater good - history teaches us that time and time again. For far too long, fans have been far too placid. Look what's happened when things have been ramped up just a little bit. Those young lads have achieved more in the blink of an eye than years of any Supporters' Trust initiatives. Well done.

3 minutes ago, wiseowl said:

I`m ignoring the last few comments about "merged clubs" because it's utter nonsense and yet another sideshow we can do without. The owner is clearly rattled by recent events and it doesn't surprise me. "Loss of face" was always going to be something that rattled him - it's a cultural thing and those who have travelled eastward will understand. I think many fans are of the same opinion; our owner does not appear to be proficient at running a football club (and yes I`m being diplomatic). He needs to go.

Some people are still saying "Mo's the problem" etc. - he's not - the owner is the problem. All energy should be focussed on a change of ownership - nothing else really matters in the greater scheme of things. Stay focussed, stay legal (most of the time) and get him out.

Finally, I take my hat off to the young men who decided to invade the pitch. Sometimes you know, the law has to be broken to achieve the greater good - history teaches us that time and time again. For far too long, fans have been far too placid. Look what's happened when things have been ramped up just a little bit. Those young lads have achieved more in the blink of an eye than years of any Supporters' Trust initiatives. Well done.

Agree with most of that.

As for mergers, dont think we are saying its an option, just a different option that is not an option.

56 minutes ago, maximus1267 said:

Which bit monty ?

educate me please 

I suspect @Monty Burns is referring to your comment: "I know its hard to comprehend but harder for me is no Oldham Athletic." 

Assuming "it[s]" is a reference to a merged club, that (I think most would agree) would also = no Oldham Athletic. It would be a Frankenstein, and I and many others would have nothing to do with it.

11 minutes ago, Worcester Owl said:

I suspect @Monty Burns is referring to your comment: "I know its hard to comprehend but harder for me is no Oldham Athletic." 

Assuming "it[s]" is a reference to a merged club, that (I think most would agree) would also = no Oldham Athletic. It would be a Frankenstein, and I and many others would have nothing to do with it.

Yeh I know what he was getting at just wanted him to elaborate a little more.

But yes I fully understand a Manchester North End merger is not Oldham.

But is that a better option than nothing if we were to dissapear totally.

13 minutes ago, Worcester Owl said:

Well done. Anything else like this happens, get to the neurologist sharpish 😂

i could cope with OAFC playing elsewhere than Boundary Park if the club retained its identity (the one I fell in love with, not this current bastardised version) as a short term if that was the cost of independence. 

If Latics went bust, would consider a Phoenix club but accept it would never be the same as the real thing. 

No to any merger, could accept groundshare but need our own identity     

9 minutes ago, maximus1267 said:

Yeh I know what he was getting at just wanted him to elaborate a little more.

But yes I fully understand a Manchester North End merger is not Oldham.

But is that a better option than nothing if we were to dissapear totally.

"Manchester North End" is Oldham disappearing totally.

I can't believe we've gone all the way from idiots refusing to support us if we moved to parts of Oldham with a Manchester postcode, to now being prepared to consider merging.

Trying to maximise support in Tameside? Sure.  Grabbing floating fans from Bury?  Good luck with that.

Pretending to be a Manchester club?  Far worse than anything the Lemsagams have done.

6 minutes ago, unsworth blue said:

i could cope with OAFC playing elsewhere than Boundary Park if the club retained its identity (the one I fell in love with, not this current bastardised version) as a short term if that was the cost of independence. 

If Latics went bust, would consider a Phoenix club but accept it would never be the same as the real thing. 

No to any merger, could accept groundshare but need our own identity     

Agree on every point.

The other side is that Bury don't exist in any meaningful way and Rochdale are doing as well as they ever have in their history.  What does anyone gain by a "merger", other than pretending we are from Manchester when we aren't?

10 minutes ago, SweeperKeeper said:

"Manchester North End" is Oldham disappearing totally.

I can't believe we've gone all the way from idiots refusing to support us if we moved to parts of Oldham with a Manchester postcode, to now being prepared to consider merging.

Trying to maximise support in Tameside? Sure.  Grabbing floating fans from Bury?  Good luck with that.

Pretending to be a Manchester club?  Far worse than anything the Lemsagams have done.

Dont think I've said at any point we should do it.

I may have said if things keep going the way they are in football we may see such things happening.

Sorry for using this platform to discuss such a thing.

Wow the reaction of people on here at times is really an eye opener.

Pretending to be a manchester club, really !!

Maybe I should go back to being just a reader of the forum, too many people on here taking offence at anything other than their own opinion.

8 minutes ago, maximus1267 said:

I may have said if things keep going the way they are in football we may see such things happening.

Maybe I should go back to being just a reader of the forum, too many people on here taking offence at anything other than their own opinion.

I'm not "taking offence".  I am giving my opinion about the idea you raised.

It's the point of a forum.

19 minutes ago, maximus1267 said:

I don't think people take offence, sometimes you can read a reply and just put an aggressive tone on it in your own head. As exile says it's a forum don't take it personally. 

21 minutes ago, maximus1267 said:

Get used to it maxi. 😉

I'd be interested to know what percentage of the current AFC Wimbledon fanbase are "legacy" fans for want of a better term.

Not sure where I'd stand if it came to a phoenix club. Hopefully we won't find out.

1 minute ago, nzlatic said:

I'd be interested to know what percentage of the current AFC Wimbledon fanbase are "legacy" fans for want of a better term.

Not sure where I'd stand if it came to a phoenix club. Hopefully we won't find out.

I find it an interesting subject, I know others on here don't want it discussed as it isn't on topic but the Wimbledon situation is a good example of something can be done.

A phoenix club around here, I'm not sure, too conjested imo

Archived