MATCH: Woking (H) 27/01/24

6 hours ago, BP1960 said:

The managerment team of MM and Brabin aren't producing what we should be seeing - which is a good passing dynamic team.

The 7 defenders tactic may grind out away results (for now), but 6500 home fans turned up today and were served rubbish. 

It needs changing and quickly.

#clubsover

8 hours ago, 100milesaway said:

I also think that Double M  will get it right. And I am not overreacting by calling that performance, by both players and manager bloody awful

Edited by Lukers1
Mispell

3 hours ago, GKing521 said:

The team, on paper, wouldn’t look out of place in League 2.

So, why is it when a Dog and Duck XI turn up to BP, and play like it’s a cup final, do they turn into shrinking violets?

If the club hasn’t explored bringing in a psychologist or therapist then they are foolish. It is clear to see it is a mental issue. 

They have the talent, but in front of a big and expectant crowd at BP they can’t do it. Like, physically can’t do it. It looks like they’re running through quick sand.

It’s not right for a side that hasn’t won in god knows how long to look *that* much better than us.

A play off game at Boundary Park and we are absolutely toast.

I saw a conversation on Twitter where a Grimsby fan said they had the exact same problem in this league - beat the better teams, struggle against the poor ones. They still went up. 

I’m not saying we don’t need to worry about it or that we shouldn’t criticise, just that it’s not the season ending problem some seem to think it is.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, BP1960 said:

Certainly the playing style hasn't changed. I see no improvement in passing, off the ball movement or dynamism.

9 hours ago, LightDN123 said:

They just over powered us today to be honest. They were much bigger and stronger than us, and for the goal the guy just runs through. We lost every second ball it felt like, just didn’t win any battles today. 

Two valid points.

The number of times a limited but hard-working and well drilled side has come to Boundary Park and outplayed our ‘stellar’ team is worrying.

Is it a mental thing? Are the players simply not up to it? Are successive managers failing to get through to the team that they have to play with more energy, strength and desire?

I went to the game yesterday full of anticipation, expecting us to win. What I witnessed was a team that were simply not interested in competing and a manager who failed to change it.

It was a horror show and the lack of urgency was criminal and an insult to the fans.

in Mellon we trust?

It’s naivety for me, and the fact I could have predicted that result. A struggling team , backs to the wall etc coming here needing the points and we weren’t ready for them ffs. It was obvious it would be tough. Someone needs to pop their head in the changing room prior to these games and remind them “ don’t forget lads, might be a tough one this so be on your guard and don’t be complacent “

24 minutes ago, TheBigDog said:

Two valid points.

The number of times a limited but hard-working and well drilled side has come to Boundary Park and outplayed our ‘stellar’ team is worrying.

Is it a mental thing? Are the players simply not up to it? Are successive managers failing to get through to the team that they have to play with more energy, strength and desire?

I went to the game yesterday full of anticipation, expecting us to win. What I witnessed was a team that were simply not interested in competing and a manager who failed to change it.

It was a horror show and the lack of urgency was criminal and an insult to the fans.

in Mellon we trust?

It’s definitely a mental thing.  Not enough players brave enough to make a forward pass, or turn, or step out 5 yards up the pitch. It means more at home. Away from home a mistake goes unnoticed.

That whole issue needs addressing directly, “we don’t mind you making mistakes.”

But let’s start with us fans, how many of us can say that? Most of us call the players “shit” when they make a mistake!

51 minutes ago, TheBigDog said:

in Mellon we trust?

Assuming that’s a question, my answer is yes. My reason being he’s not panicking. It looks to me like he has a plan which is to finish the season strongly with key players injury free, match fit and with a consistent team gathering momentum. That’s why he didn’t go full strength against Hendon and why he stuck to his plan with the amount of minutes he had planned for Conlon and Dallas yesterday despite what was happening in the game. Given his record, I’m more than happy to trust him and his plan. 

It illustrated just how much a dog of a division the Vauxhall Conference is. Four out of the top five all lost. All teams struggle for consistancy and players at this level are all prone to off-days. It just so happens quite a few of our players had them all on one day.

For me, we just don't come out of the traps and go for the jugular fast enough. Teams come to us with a game plan and they very rarely have to change it during a match. Yesterday was a perfect example where a tepid and tame first half gave them belief during the HT team talk. That said, their goal was a touch fortunate and that's all they needed. I was more disappointed at the lack of character after going 0-1 down. We should be backing ourselves to score at least two every match against this quality of opposition.

I'm not too disheartened. Could just as easily see Woking suffer a 0-2 loss at home to Boreham Wood next Saturday and us romp to a comfortable away victory at Ebbsfleet. MM's tactics are pretty sound away from home. It's the master puzzle at BP he's got to work out.

Player-wise. Conlon and Dallas will get better and better the more match fit they get. I can see Lundstram losing his place to Hammond before too long too.

6 minutes ago, nzlatic said:

Assuming that’s a question, my answer is yes. My reason being he’s not panicking. It looks to me like he has a plan which is to finish the season strongly with key players injury free, match fit and with a consistent team gathering momentum. That’s why he didn’t go full strength against Hendon and why he stuck to his plan with the amount of minutes he had planned for Conlon and Dallas yesterday despite what was happening in the game. Given his record, I’m more than happy to trust him and his plan. 

He stuck to his plan too late it should have been changed at half time, you're supposed to work on fixing problems  not by the clock.

3 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

He stuck to his plan too late it should have been changed at half time, you're supposed to work on fixing problems  not by the clock.

You’re missing my point. My theory is that he didn’t want to change his plan for the new players just because we’re losing a game as he’s preparing them properly for the run in. He’s thinking about the rest of the season. For example, I think he would rather build up the fitness of the new key players so they’re firing for the run in, than risk their fitness yesterday to chase the game. 

The other players should of course be able to step up and affect the game yesterday but they didn’t. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, nzlatic said:

You’re missing my point. My theory is that he didn’t want to change his plan for the new players just because we’re losing a game as he’s preparing them properly for the run in. He’s thinking about the rest of the season. For example, I think he would rather build up the fitness of the new key players so they’re firing for the run in, than risk their fitness yesterday to chase the game. 

The other players should of course be able to step up and affect the game yesterday but they didn’t. 

Blocked 

• Like 3

Can someone please tell me why we revert to five at the back at home and what Harrison McGahey brings to the party please, that's three games now since he came back in the team where you couldn't give him more than 3/10, it's almost like we are rewarding failure.

Sitting in and defending at home is just baffling as was lumping it upfield almost aimlessly. We need someone running the channels and I dont mean Norwood, Stones used to create, run the channels, put defenders on the back foot but you're not going to get that off Fondop, he's a target man and battering ram, we need pace at home and willing runners, give the opposition something to worry about.

It's time to at least try something new at home, we have Walker, Reid, Dallas, Green maybe even Hope who can offer an attacking threat, willing runners some of who can play off the last man and turn these defences, play one either side of Norwood or even drop Fondop in favour of another midfielder and control the centre of the park, get Conlon on the football, he should be in that centre circle directing operations not scrambling around in the box with seven other defensive minded players.

Hobson and Raglan played well as a two yesterday and I don't see why they can't be the partnership going forward, let's start giving these teams something to worry about at home, I'm sick to death of teams dominating possession, that's team significantly weaker than ours as well, we can't just keep setting up and playing in the same dumb way at home that to me is a reflection of the manager and it's not good enough.

Another thing that annoys me is everyone saying we were on a 4 game unbeaten run, what a load of bollocks, only two games ago we were embarrassed by fucking Hendon at home and were beat fair and square 2-1, playing much the same way with the same formation, everyone's getting a bit Lee Clark about our unbeaten runs.

• Like 1

Stop blaming individual players as it's Barnet's fault!!

We got hammered at home last time after beating them.

As some other people have said there is definitely an ingrained mental block when playing at home. I am hoping the new players will dispel that and can't be judged yet until they settle in (although people already are).

Just naming players who should be in AFTER the match always baffles me, such as Green, Dickenson etc. These same players have been involved in previous disastrous matches so why would they make a difference now?

It is a collective team problem not individuals.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, disjointed said:

Looks like Lundstram is the latest boo boy. 

I tend to see our players favourably but I've been struggling with him from the outset. I think it might stem from the hype and expectation when he was injured the first couple of months of the season.

To me Lundstrum seems preoccupied with avoiding mistakes and looking tidy in his own play than contributing anything good or, in fairness, bad to the team. 

Consequently he has no drive and zero impact. Zero goals and assists as far as I remember, whilst tackles are few and far between..

My midfield 2 would be Conlon and Sheron and I'd be adding Dickenson/Gardner/Hammond ahead of Lundstrum to make a 3.

Also disappointed with Sachdev but early days and at least he shows physicality and commitment so let's hope some quality starts to show soon.

7 minutes ago, Only Blue said:

Stop blaming individual players as it's Barnet's fault!!

We got hammered at home last time after beating them.

As some other people have said there is definitely an ingrained mental block when playing at home. I am hoping the new players will dispel that and can't be judged yet until they settle in (although people already are).

Just naming players who should be in AFTER the match always baffles me, such as Green, Dickenson etc. These same players have been involved in previous disastrous matches so why would they make a difference now?

It is a collective team problem not individuals.

You’re always a better player out of the team. . 

9 minutes ago, League one forever said:

You’re always a better player out of the team. . 

Exactly.

How many would have dragged names up before the match? The team selection is sound it is the players approach to the game that changes.

The lower teams are more physical and our players do not know how to adapt to it and then once that battle is won they play with freedom and our players go into their shell, only choosing safe passing or hoofing it.

It's not a new problem for us, but at least now we do win some matches before the usual howler.