1 hour ago, GlossopLatic said:

You would think the likes of us Giggs, Scholes, G Neville, P Neville and Butt would have a contingency plan if 1 of them was to go into football management and be effectively forced to pull out at Salford.

Unless they all sell up and buy out AL, then keep him on as an agent?

Edited by BP1960

Guest Stanley30

Not a chance in hell this will happen. Why take the job this time around when we’re in a far worse position, we’ve a mental chairman and he’s no control over transfers. 

I’m a little disappointed this has come out in the media and just hoping the club can get the deal over the line.

Chris Sutton was on BBC Radio yesterday saying Scholes would be crazy to take the job because of our recent history and an interfering chairman.

I think the longer it drags on then the less likely it will happen....we have past history of this sort of shit haven’t we?

To be fair to the club and from what I can make out they haven’t actually leaked or said anything? The odds shortened significantly on Friday night/Saturday morning, then he was reportedly seen at Moss Rose on Saturday so the press have got a semi on, put two and two together and all these stories have come out over the last couple of days. Probably not the clubs fault if it doesn’t go through. 

45 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

Apparently Allardyce chatting on Talk Sport this morning claims our new manager is foreign and not Scholes, anyone actually heard the interview? 

Someone on FB saying:

’Big Sam never said that. He said Oldham have just sacked a foreign manager. Needs to get his facts right.’ 

The dangers of hearsay and jumping to conclusions - the sporting press in a nutshell. 

As I said previously, if Paul Scholes is appointed manager...

I’ll wait for the official announcement.

Edited by TheBigDog

You would think that if it was total bollocks, Scholes would have made a statement ruling himself out by now, given the level of media speculation. 

I'm guessing it's by no means a done deal either so I'll be crossing my fingers and hoping we can get it over the line. 

It would be imo, the most positive thing to happen to the club for many a year and do wonders for our profile both locally and further afield. 

Too many people over thinking.

Most fans would like scholes. I've not seen anything to suggest he won't be our next manager.

If it doesn't happen then we move on.

This club does seem to drag things out which in turns causes negative thoughts among fans.

I'm positive there will be some news today.

Edited by maximus1267

1 hour ago, TheBigDog said:

Someone on FB saying:

’Big Sam never said that. He said Oldham have just sacked a foreign manager. Needs to get his facts right.’ 

The dangers of hearsay and jumping to conclusions - the sporting press in a nutshell. 

As I said previously, if Paul Scholes is appointed manager...

I’ll wait for the official announcement.

Yeah, I heard the interview on Talkshite, Alladyce was clueless about us and our situation, he did say that Oldham (yes Oldham) have just sacked a foreign manager, he was trying to back up his argument that  young British coaches/managers are not given a chance in this country and have to look abroad for work. It was in relation to the new Huddersfield manager being announced.

10 hours ago, BP1960 said:

Unless they all sell up and buy out AL, then keep him on as an agent?

I don't think OAFC is an attractive business buy 

A club in name only is all the Al owns. He rents the ground and 3 stands from Brassbank. Two stands are beyond repair really.

Last years accounts have not been submitted yet and 2017 were only submitted in June last year and the HMRC outcome still pending.

Buying us would be a passionate choice. Don't get me wrong I would love them to buy us a a whole package club and land but hand on heart, its going to take someone or people with some decent money  behind them.

Edited by underdog

7 minutes ago, HarryBosch said:

Simon Grayson on TalkSport at the moment - I'd have him in heartbeat once the Scholes things falls through or once Scholes is sacked or leaves.... 

The notion of starting up a “next manager after the next one?” thread on this forum isn’t as barmy as I’d like to think...

Not sure why everyone is sure Scholes will go tits up. Bowyer is doing a decent job at Charlton. Big Sol seems to have had an impact at Macc, Barton doing an ok job at Fleetwood. Lampard and Gerrard clearly doing very well in different types of clubs.

Bar shez we haven't hired an experienced manager for ages.

No reason why Scholes won't be a success IMO. Done his coaching badges, knows the town and the club, knows a bit more about lower level footy that he did previously, knows the game clearly and will have very good contacts. 

I believe those within the club have been informed he is to be announced, as Keith Laird says there is no smoke without fire. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Clifford said:

Not sure why everyone is sure Scholes will go tits up. Bowyer is doing a decent job at Charlton. Big Sol seems to have had an impact at Macc, Barton doing an ok job at Fleetwood. Lampard and Gerrard clearly doing very well in different types of clubs.

No reason why Scholes won't be a success IMO. Done his coaching badges, knows the town and the club, knows a bit more about lower level footy that he did previously, knows the game clearly and will have very good contacts. 

I believe those within the club have been informed he is to be announced, as Keith Laird says there is no smoke without fire. 

But some would rather look at why he would fail rather than why he would succeed.

A sad current state of society.

Too many people focus on the negatives and not the positives.

8 minutes ago, maximus1267 said:

But some would rather look at why he would fail rather than why he would succeed.

A sad current state of society.

Too many people focus on the negatives and not the positives.

Also if AL fucks about with Scholes he won't be able to give him hush money. It would be all over the papers. Scholes seems a firm man and I am sure it would be a good lesson for AL going forward rather than the rubbing rags he has had so far (bar Shez who walked).

32 minutes ago, Clifford said:

Laird or Lard?