Dino Maamria - Departure Watch

• Replies 932
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you analyse the regular match starters plus the better new additions, Ave some have done in this thread, they should all manage well at league 2. So what is wrong?

Well, a manager who arrives at the club and publicly announces there are only 4 or 5 in the squad he thinks are good enough, is immediately going to struggle to get the last 10% of effort (when it gets painful) from them. He has thrashed them in the training to the point where muscles injuries become more likely, and jaded performances also more likely.  Players are not enjoying training, and hence the job becomes a chore.  He digs out players publicly to the point that no one wants to take risks. Players can’t stick up for themselves without falling out of favour.  Results of all this - some of the worst overall team performances that I have seen in 30 plus years!

I’m not sure we should stick with this manager ,(and I’m one who usually wants a manager given time)

1 hour ago, Pidge said:

If you analyse the regular match starters plus the better new additions, Ave some have done in this thread, they should all manage well at league 2. So what is wrong?

Well, a manager who arrives at the club and publicly announces there are only 4 or 5 in the squad he thinks are good enough, is immediately going to struggle to get the last 10% of effort (when it gets painful) from them. He has thrashed them in the training to the point where muscles injuries become more likely, and jaded performances also more likely.  Players are not enjoying training, and hence the job becomes a chore.  He digs out players publicly to the point that no one wants to take risks. Players can’t stick up for themselves without falling out of favour.  Results of all this - some of the worst overall team performances that I have seen in 30 plus years!

I’m not sure we should stick with this manager ,(and I’m one who usually wants a manager given time)

Look there is no way I want to defend Dino Maamria, but If you accept as “analysis” what has been asserted on this thread about how our current squad is good enough to be doing much better in this division but is being held back by poor coaching then I have to disagree.

Last season we just about held our own in this godforsaken awful division with players in the squad of the calibre of Surridge, Lang, Edmundson, Lyden, Hunt, Gardner, Clarke etc

Of these only Clarke has been adequately replaced. The rest who have come in have been dross, or crocks, so for me our current position is more or less what I expected.

True Dino’s sides have lacked cohesion but I for one am willing to give him more time. Up to now he seems to be managing ALMO better than any of our previous managers, which for the moment as little as that is, is one giant step forward.

2 minutes ago, RobinsDuckEgg said:

Look there is no way I want to defend Dino Maamria, but If you accept as “analysis” what has been asserted on this thread about how our current squad is good enough to be doing much better in this division but is being held back by poor coaching then I have to disagree.

Last season we just about held our own in this godforsaken awful division with players in the squad of the calibre of Surridge, Lang, Edmundson, Lyden, Hunt, Gardner, Clarke etc

Of these only Clarke has been adequately replaced. The rest who have come in have been dross, or crocks, so for me our current position is more or less what I expected.

True Dino’s sides have lacked cohesion but I for one am willing to give him more time. Up to now he seems to be managing ALMO better than any of our previous managers, which for the moment as little as that is, is one giant step forward.

on the money

11 hours ago, OLDHAMADE said:

It's a very good shout but I don't think at his time of life, he'd cope very well with all the shenanigans of this place

Nowt to do with his time of life...He couldn’t hack the shenanigans of this place when JWLees owned us 🙈

10 hours ago, RobinsDuckEgg said:

I can definitely see your argument, not forgetting J.B.B when he got on.

13 hours ago, RobinsDuckEgg said:

You are not wrong "Duckegg", but you are talking about the poor performance as a whole, which is what I am blaming on the manager. 

If you take each individual and look at their past record and individual performances, I think they are good enough for league 2. 

Your comparison with what we had before is fair, and certainly present strikers have been poor compared to Surridge and Lang,  but they still should be enough. 

Take each person we have individually and think about their past record.  You will see what I mean. 

The issue of poor recruitment for this season is a separate one where I really agree with you 

Reading the findings of the racism case, considering the lack of progress by just Hamer alone and the last six results (soon to be seven) are good enough reasons to think Dino should go.

He made the right impact when he arrived but is that just because he is a bully?

25 minutes ago, Hands on said:

Reading the findings of the racism case, considering the lack of progress by just Hamer alone and the last six results (soon to be seven) are good enough reasons to think Dino should go.

He made the right impact when he arrived but is that just because he is a bully?

Using Hamer as an example of Dino's poor coaching isn't really on. 

He's been disappointing all season and hasn't progressed as we'd all hoped.

I'm not sure whether Dino's the man for the job long term but now is definitely not the time to get rid. 

24 minutes ago, Bobledgersheart said:

I'm not sure whether Dino's the man for the job long term but now is definitely not the time to get rid. 

I'm not in favour of swapping managers in and out like a teenager swaps girlfriends, but isn't now a pretty good time? Not going up, not going down, not a huge number of players contracted past the season - sounds like a pretty good time to bring someone in to me.

5 minutes ago, oafcmetty said:

I'm not in favour of swapping managers in and out like a teenager swaps girlfriends, but isn't now a pretty good time? Not going up, not going down, not a huge number of players contracted past the season - sounds like a pretty good time to bring someone in to me.

This is where I'm at.  The squad can be built almost totally from scratch this summer, so we need the right person in to do that.  I don't think that person is Dino.

HOWEVER, a massive cavaet to this is that I don't believe AL and the board are capable of providing the system for anyone to flourish.  A better manager may get this lot a bit further up this table, but I can't see promotion under the current circumstances.  And I don't think Dino is so bad that we'll get relegated.  So it's kind of irrelevant whether we change the manager or not.  Other changes higher up are needed first.

1 hour ago, Bobledgersheart said:

Using Hamer as an example of Dino's poor coaching isn't really on. 

He's been disappointing all season and hasn't progressed as we'd all hoped.

I'm on the dino out side of it. But I have to agree he hasn't made hamer poor. Hes been average at best all season. But I will add that we all thought edmondson was average until last season so theres hope yet. Rumours of league 1 teams sniffing around so hopefully he comes good and we can get a few pennies

1 hour ago, nzlatic said:

This is where I'm at.  The squad can be built almost totally from scratch this summer, so we need the right person in to do that.  I don't think that person is Dino.

HOWEVER, a massive cavaet to this is that I don't believe AL and the board are capable of providing the system for anyone to flourish.  A better manager may get this lot a bit further up this table, but I can't see promotion under the current circumstances.  And I don't think Dino is so bad that we'll get relegated.  So it's kind of irrelevant whether we change the manager or not.  Other changes higher up are needed first.

Agree with most of that, but the bit about not getting relegated?

We are in a precarious position, yes we have a seven point or whatever cushion but look whos to play in Feb.

They need to collect some wins and quickly otherwise we are right in it.

I'll just vie my two cents, this is just my opinion. Dino is one of the most tactically inept manager I've ever seen. Go away to bottom of the league who have won 2 in 26 and play 3 defensive mids? And then when it didnt work he change it up by doing the exact fucking same in the next game. Everytime I hear him in an inerview, or talking about games, he just gets more and more deluded. It's like he's just watched a completely different match to the rest of us. Sorry but I honestly believe he's one of the worst coaches we've ever had. The only source of optimism with him for me are: these aren't his players, maybe we should let him have a full window and the following 5 or 6 games and he might turn it around. Although I would say even if we fail to win any of our next 3 games, his position essentially becomes untenable. No wins in 6 at the moment, 3 goals scored in those 6, 11 goals conceded. No striker has scored in the last 5 games. Not only are the stats damning but most of the time we are crap to watch. If we lose against both Salford AND Mansfield, he absolutely has to go

Archived