Transfer Rumours

• Replies 7.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Curle's remarks in the Oldham Times about the club not holding a grudge against players who turned us down hoping for a better offer really sound like a targeted message to someone or other...

What trialists did we have over summer who are still without a club?

37 minutes ago, SweeperKeeper said:

Curle's remarks in the Oldham Times about the club not holding a grudge against players who turned us down hoping for a better offer really sound like a targeted message to someone or other...

Didn't we offer Furman a deal that got turned down thinking he'd get a better offer and he ended up at The Dog & Duck FC?

1 hour ago, Gaz_Oafc said:

Didn't we offer Furman a deal that got turned down thinking he'd get a better offer and he ended up at The Dog & Duck FC?

Suppose it could be Furman, given that he's only on a short term deal at Alty.

Not sure we needed him in the first place, but now we have Bowden, Bettache and Hopcutt it would be a weird signing.

Was there anyone who trialled who ended up completely without a club?  Danns?

3 hours ago, SweeperKeeper said:

We had the local lad who played for Norwich and Huddersfield.

We had Danns, who would've been a great signing a few years ago. I think he's been a a Welsh club.

We had Furman, who i thought had gone to Wrexham, having turned us down (why, i don't know -  he was offered free pies and Bovril...and we're talking unlimited), but now he's gone to Alty.

All midfield, but we've now got Whelan, Cissy, Bowden, Vaughan, Bettache and Hopcutt (and maybe DKD is better coming in from midfield), so we're actually looking quite strong in that department. What we need is a good striker and, for me, a good right-back and a switch to 433. 

the said, Cissy is out for at leat two months and Hopcott for a month, so maybe it will be a midfield player. 

I think Badan and Jameson should be moved on/loaned out for the season.

9 minutes ago, oafc1955 said:

A proper CF for me!

Crying out for a real number 9, one that can bully defenders, win headers, hold the ball up, score a few and bring others into play.

Failing that, get a center half in and put Pidge number 9.... sorted.

18 minutes ago, TheBigDog said:

If only one comes in would you rather a centre back or a striker?

I would go for a central defender 

McGahey is a centre back isn’t he? We desperately need a striker. 

3 minutes ago, maximus1267 said:

Crying out for a real number 9, one that can bully defenders, win headers, hold the ball up, score a few and bring others into play.

Failing that, get a center half in and put Pidge number 9.... sorted.

Pidge's lack of pace would be embarrassing up front. 

1 hour ago, maximus1267 said:

You dont need much pace to play that role if you have runner either side.

No but we don't have that either really plus he will need to play with his back to goal he's technically poor. He's not a centre forward in a million years. Leave him at the back and let him come up for set pieces that's where he's most effective.

As for us playing a big number 9 we'll that's one option but we didn't play with one last season infact we played a false 9 and 2 wide forwards and finished 2nd highest scorers in the league so its not a prerequisite for scoring goals at this level. Doesn't mean I wouldn't take one but their is more than 1 way to skin a cat, we just need atleast 1 more competent forward.

1 minute ago, another fan said:

Did a previous manager play Ian Woods as a centre forward with some success many years ? 

Yes but Woody was totally different to Piergianni, much more mobile and skilful with a decent shot in him.

I think Allan Hunter was pushed up front a couple of times ( maybe never started there though ) but even he was more mobile than Pidge.

One thing that does frustrate me is ten mims to go and losing, he should be throwing pierrgianni up front. That's how football always used to work. Losing in the last 10, then throw your biggest centre half up front. Happemed with dion Dublin and he stayed there for his career haha

7 hours ago, SweeperKeeper said:

Mikey said on the Sutton commentary that Boldiwijn was a top target for Curle. He chose to go to Sutton instead. After seeing him on Saturday, we would have had two Bahamboulas on the pitch. 

17 minutes ago, al_bro said:

Mikey said on the Sutton commentary that Boldiwijn was a top target for Curle. He chose to go to Sutton instead. After seeing him on Saturday, we would have had two Bahamboulas on the pitch. 

A player chose to go to Sutton Utd instead of here?

well that’s compounded the end of bank holiday weekend depression 

Archived